1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Maybe the mobo is useless for overclocking and the psu is low quality
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3einu
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3einu/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3einu/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7750 2GB Video Card ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec GX500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Micro Center)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $466.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-22 09:24 EDT-0400)

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

Maybe the mobo is useless for overclocking and the psu is low quality
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3einu
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3einu/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3einu/benchmarks/

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.98 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 7750 2GB Video Card ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Antec GX500 ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($19.99 @ Micro Center)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $466.90
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-22 09:24 EDT-0400)
Doesnt need Windows?

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xinoxide View Post

Doesnt need Windows?
i would say him to say money for the OS.the low price in that ad is cause of lack of products in stock and/or the pc has bad quality parts

And yes it does but i cant beat that price in the same specs since mayne that`s a 40-50usd mobo with some cheap ram,bad quality psu,oem hd 7730 and a cheap chinese case

Meanwhile he can use wine or playonlinux

·
Premium Member
4,265 Posts
Lets see...

FX-6300: $110
MOBO: $50 (no info given so we have to assume it is the cheapest one they could get their hands on)
HD7730: $60
RAM: $50 (no info given, so I am assuming it's the cheapest 1x8GB stick they could source)
HD: $50 (no information is given besides size and RPM, so we have to assume, like most of these "bargain" deals, they sourced the cheapest drive they could get their hands on, unlikely to be a modern single platter unit)
PSU: $0 (No value without more information)
Enermax Case with bulging plastic awesomeness: $60
ODD: not included
flimsey keyboard mouse combo: $21
Win8 Licence: $90

$491

The price is actually pretty reasonable. Normally when I run the numbers on these things they don't add up. In this case, even with really pessimistic values and giving nothing for the PSU, it checks out. If it fits the need it's not a bad rig for the money but I would advise making sure it comes with an install disk, or adding an ODD and making one right away, then adding an SSD and replacing the PSU straight away.

Way I see it, if you're going to have to swap the PSU, you're practically going to be tearing the whole thing apart anyway. May as well build something a lot nicer for a little more money instead.

FX-6300 + UD3P combo at Microcenter: $160+tax
CPU HSF: ~$30-50
2x4GB "nice" RAM: $75
R7 260X: $120
1TB single platter WD: $60
450W Capstone or Seasonic G: $65
Case: $50
Win8: $90
key/mouse: $30

~$700

The cost of the "Avatar" machine is actually ~$550 after replacing the PSU, so in reality, this is only $150 more... or ~30% higher cost, resulting in:

40% higher CPU performance after overclocking
3X faster GPU performance

If i'm buying a "pre-built" machine I would seek out an i3-4XXX based machine before seeking out an FX chip machine any day... The i3 uses about half the power, as such, the "cheap" motherboards these these builds are always configured with are much better suited to the i3 than they are to the FX chip. The i3 haswell also tends to be a better performing chip in most real world games and applications. The FX-6300 requires performance tuning to have an edge, which can't be performed without replacing the motherboard and HSF anyway. (Edit in: A quick search on Amazon and I don't see ANY i3 haswell rigs in this price class, so scratch that)

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdocod View Post

Lets see...

FX-6300: $110
MOBO: $50 (no info given so we have to assume it is the cheapest one they could get their hands on)
HD7730: $60
RAM: $50 (no info given, so I am assuming it's the cheapest 1x8GB stick they could source)
HD: $50 (no information is given besides size and RPM, so we have to assume, like most of these "bargain" deals, they sourced the cheapest drive they could get their hands on, unlikely to be a modern single platter unit)
PSU: $0 (No value without more information)
Enermax Case with bulging plastic awesomeness: $60
ODD: not included
flimsey keyboard mouse combo: $21
Win8 Licence: $90

$491

The price is actually pretty reasonable. Normally when I run the numbers on these things they don't add up. In this case, even with really pessimistic values and giving nothing for the PSU, it checks out. If it fits the need it's not a bad rig for the money but I would advise making sure it comes with an install disk, or adding an ODD and making one right away, then adding an SSD and replacing the PSU straight away.
with specs like that and SSD is far from being priority.

·
Premium Member
4,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3illusiveman View Post

with specs like that and SSD is far from being priority.
As the single largest potential source of real-world performance improvements for all sorts of users, I disagree. The SSD is a fantastic and inexpensive way to give the impression of ~double-quadruple the performance when loading the system and applications. A 240GB SSD can be purchased for the same price as an FX-6300.

Doesn't matter if you're on a $60 Pentium or $300 i7, an SSD still improves loading speed of the system and apps by generous margins.

Choosing to go without one, because you favor the performance somewhere else, is perfectly valid.

The "insistence" on the SSD as one of the first primary upgrades, is based on the assumption that the HD included in the machine is likely an older model unit, like a 2x500GB platter drive or worse.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.