Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. so I've been doing a lot of reading and have managed some nice (imo) results, but now I'm starting to worry/wonder about what my limits are and what happens if I hit them. And now I also need answers to a bunch of questions that have come up lol

Here's the clock specs:

Part: Stock / OC
CPU: 2200 / 2625
Mult: 200x11 / 250x10.5
HTT: 5x / 4x
GPU: 470/1100 / 490/1200
RAM: 2-3-3-8 / 3-4-4-9

That's all I can think of that got changed. Haven't missed with voltage at all. EVEREST says the CPU temp is 32 deg with current setup.

Now for the good part...

-With the increase vid card clocks, ATItool finds artifacts, but I don't notice any while gaming - should I lower the clock to make ATItool happy, or leave it since I can't tell? I don't want to endanger my card.

-What is the memory divider thing, is that where I set how fast I want the RAM to run? (DDR400, DDR433, etc)

-When you set the HTT to 3x, and have the FSB at something like 270, does it hurt performance because you're so far away from 1000?

-The FSB is supposed to match the RAM clock right? I have DDR400, so what happens when I go over 200?

-Why did my RAM timings go down the toilet?
I just noticed that Everest says my Memory Bus is 238.6MHz and lists my ram as DDR477.. is this the max speed the ram can go, since its trying to catch up to the 250 FSB? Should I drop the FSB to 238 and increase the mult to 11?

-Under Chipset Properties, it shows the Memory Timings at 3-4-4-9, but under SPD Memory Modules, it shows 3-3-3-8 @ 200Mhz; why is it different?

-Everest says "DRAM:FSB Ratio: CPU/11" What does that mean?

That'll do it for now, I'm sure I'll be editing soon lol. Thanks for any and all help!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by daweinah

Ok.. so I've been doing a lot of reading and have managed some nice (imo) results, but now I'm starting to worry/wonder about what my limits are and what happens if I hit them. And now I also need answers to a bunch of questions that have come up lol

Here's the clock specs:

That's all I can think of that got changed. Haven't missed with voltage at all. EVEREST says the CPU temp is 32 deg with current setup.

Now for the good part...

-With the increase vid card clocks, ATItool finds artifacts, but I don't notice any while gaming - should I lower the clock to make ATItool happy, or leave it since I can't tell? I don't want to endanger my card.

-What is the memory divider thing, is that where I set how fast I want the RAM to run? (DDR400, DDR433, etc)

-When you set the HTT to 3x, and have the FSB at something like 270, does it hurt performance because you're so far away from 1000?

-The FSB is supposed to match the RAM clock right? I have DDR400, so what happens when I go over 200?

I just noticed that Everest says my Memory Bus is 238.6MHz and lists my ram as DDR477.. is this the max speed the ram can go, since its trying to catch up to the 250 FSB? Should I drop the FSB to 238 and increase the mult to 11?

-Under Chipset Properties, it shows the Memory Timings at 3-4-4-9, but under SPD Memory Modules, it shows 3-3-3-8 @ 200Mhz; why is it different?

That'll do it for now, I'm sure I'll be editing soon lol. Thanks for any and all help!

U got so many questions ill try to answer each one of them and hopefully if i make a mistake some1 will correct me.

1) In my opinion lower the clock u got nice vid card i wouldnt recommend high temps for it or high clocks u r hurtin it in other words. So just make ATItool happy.

2) I dunno about that but mine they dont change either in chipset properties or spd.

3) Where did u see that one ?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Quote:

Here's the clock specs:

Now for the good part...

What are your cards temps?

You have the divider idea right.

You want to be as close to 1000 as you can be.

You are running your ram passed its rated speed over 200.

You can try tightening them little by little to see how much you can improve them.

"Spd memory modules" is the stock specs for your memory.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where did I see what one, kitt?

Thanks Mang, how do I check my card temps?

I also just experienced my first instance of noticable problems OCing the vid card, I had it at 500/1250 and during the first test of 3DMark05 the screen had a bunch of red patches of lines, and the desktop had red and blue dots spaced out in squares.

What order should I OC the 3 parts (cpu, gpu, ram) in? How do I know when to stop OCing a certain part? ie how can I find my limits, and are the speeds of all the parts interdependent on each other? Or is this the sadistic fun of OCing? /evilgrin

Now that I have my FSB at 250, is it advisable to raise it higher? Doing so would drop.. uh, whatever FSB*HTT is called, to 800 something.

Lastly, I upped the proc to 250x11 (=2750) and it is running 3DMark05 just fine at the moment. I'm thinking this is where I should stop with the CPU and move on to the sweetspot on the GPU, and then try and tighten the RAM timings?

EDIT: Oh, and with the memory divider, why do people suggest changing it to low speeds?

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Quote:

With the increase vid card clocks, ATItool finds artifacts, but I don't notice any while gaming - should I lower the clock to make ATItool happy, or leave it since I can't tell? I don't want to endanger my card.

Try running a third party tool like 3DMark05 and check for artifacts.

Quote:

Your memory divider is the speed of your ram compared to that of your FSB.
For example if your FSB is running at 200 MHz and your RAM is running at 150 MHz then the divider (also known as FSB:RAM ratio would be 4:3). Yes this is where you can set the ram speed relatively to that of the FSB.

Quote:

Your have DDR ram (Double Data Rate) which means your ram transmits datal on both edges of the signal. So if your ram speed is 400 MHz it means it's originally working at 400/2 = 200 MHz.
When you go over 200 MHz you are exceeding your ram's capacities.

Quote:

As I said before you have DDR ram so when the original speed is 238.6 MHz it means your ram is transmitting data at 238.6 MHz x 2 - 477.2 MHz (thus the numbers you see above).
While on Intel based systems it's always best to have FSB speed match RAM speed (FSB:RAM = 1:1) this is not entirely true on AMD based systems.
On AMD systems it's better to keep your ram running on tight timings even if that means you have to set a divider because ram cannot keep up with the ever increasing FSB speed.

Quote:

I assume it's because you took your ram higher than 200 MHz and thus it had to relax the timings to be able to run at higher clock speeds.
Try upping the voltage supplied to your ram modules a notch and see if you can run them at 3-3-3-8 with speeds such as 240 MHz.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by z_one

Your have DDR ram (Double Data Rate) which means your ram transmits datal on both edges of the signal. So if your ram speed is 400 MHz it means it's originally working at 400/2 = 200 MHz.
When you go over 200 MHz you are exceeding your ram's capacities.

So I'm definitely over 200 MHz, are there any warning signs I should watch out for, or a way to test the RAM's capability to handle a 250MHz FSB?

Quote:

As I said before you have DDR ram so when the original speed is 238.6 MHz it means your ram is transmitting data at 238.6 MHz x 2 - 477.2 MHz (thus the numbers you see above).

If the original speed is DDR477, why was it manufacture rated DDR400? And why are my stock timings so much looser than they are supposed to be?

Quote:

While on Intel based systems it's always best to have FSB speed match RAM speed (FSB:RAM = 1:1) this is not entirely true on AMD based systems.
On AMD systems it's better to keep your ram running on tight timings even if that means you have to set a divider because ram cannot keep up with the ever increasing FSB speed.

Should I reset the CPU and GPU back to stock speeds, set the ram to DDR400 1T/2-3-3-6 like its rated for, and start OCing the CPU and GPU from there? What happens when the computer doesn't like the settings I put?

Quote:

I assume it's because you took your ram higher than 200 MHz and thus it had to relax the timings to be able to run at higher clock speeds.
Try upping the voltage supplied to your ram modules a notch and see if you can run them at 3-3-3-8 with speeds such as 240 MHz.

I was thinking the same thing, since the speed was set to Auto.

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Quote:

So I'm definitely over 200 MHz, are there any warning signs I should watch out for, or a way to test the RAM's capability to handle a 250MHz FSB?

Use programs like Memtest86 and Prime95 to thoroughly test your new ram speeds/timings for stability.

Quote:

If the original speed is DDR477, why was it manufacture rated DDR400? And why are my stock timings so much looser than they are supposed to be?

You misunderstood me here. Your DDR400 ram has an original factory speed of 200 MHz. What I meant was you were running it at 238 MHz originally.
Your stock timings are always looser than what they can really be. That is because in order for manufacturers to give you a warranty on a product and make sure it will run almost flawlessly they have to keep it within something like 80% of its full capacity.

Quote:

Should I reset the CPU and GPU back to stock speeds, set the ram to DDR400 1T/2-3-3-6 like its rated for, and start OCing the CPU and GPU from there? What happens when the computer doesn't like the settings I put?

You should test each component (CPU, RAM, mobo) alone to determine its maximum overclockability.
I mean when you need to test your mobo what you should do is drastically loosen ram timings and drop your cpu multiplier to the lowest available. That way, when you reach an oc`ing limit you'll know the only culprit is the mobo.
Same goes for ram testing alone and the cpu as well.
When the computer doesn't like the settings you put then you most likely have to reset the bios.
This can be done in two ways:
1) Your mobo manufacturer gives you the choice to just shut down your machine (both frontal computer on/off and rear psu switch) and wait for a few seconds then turn it back on and everything will be reset.
2) You will have to:
a) shut down your machine.
b) remove your bios battery.
c) move the bios reset jumper from position 1-2 to position 2-3 and leave it there for 10 seconds.
d) move the bios jumper to position 1-2 again.
e) put the bios battery back on.
f) turn your pc on and everything will be reset.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
post a link to your memory online, newegg or something. If you want us to help, you have to give us an idea of what speed and timings your memory is default...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts