Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy guys, first time overclocker long time nerd.

So I decided my compy was getting a little slow. I wandered on over here and read through the Intel overclocking guide and numerous other things on here. Very informative, cool stuff.

I'm having a little trouble though. Compy I'm overclocking is the one in my sig. So this is pretty much where I'm at right now:

I can't really seem to get much higher. I'm assuming it's capable of going faster though, I read about a few setups basically identical to mine that were running 3.8. Any suggestions? Main thing I'm confused about is RAM timings. I tried various settings but none of them seem to make any difference when I try upping the FSB. I've hit the wall with vcore so the next step is to adjust RAM timings to allow a faster stable speed with the FSB, correct?

Anyways, any help would be awesome.

·
Registered
208 Posts
yes, as long as the temps arte ok, it should go higher, but heh some chips just hit that wall and wont go any further no matter what. so loosen the timings a bit and see hwo it goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ropey

Do you really need that high a core voltage to take that D1 Northwood to 3.2? That's a bit high for such an overclock imo.

R

when I lower the core voltage any at all it crashes. I'm having trouble getting it stable even if I lower the FSB to 229 which gives me almost exactly 3.20 it still fails with Prime95 after about 9 hours or so. Is there anything I'm missing?

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Probably not. People have said that the last issues of Northwoods were not all that great on the overclock (voltages). I was already moving on to the newer processors so ceased testing the Northwoods and never had any parts that needed such high voltages.

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtkillmore

when I lower the core voltage any at all it crashes. I'm having trouble getting it stable even if I lower the FSB to 229 which gives me almost exactly 3.20 it still fails with Prime95 after about 9 hours or so. Is there anything I'm missing?

Few things for yea,
1st, you have the wost stepping of that processor, the notorious D1..

2. Try running a memory devider (take pressure of your memory controller)
3. Increase your vAGP up a notch

·
Registered
23 Posts
hmm, I find myself in a similar position.
My Northwood is a P4 Northy, 2.8 GHz, with the base divider 21 (unlike the 14 sgtkillmore had/has.

The mobo is a P4RD1-MX from Asus with ATI chipset. Xpress200 that is.

I increased the FSB from 133 to 140 so far, runs fine (haven't stressed it yet).

I'm curious as to what should I do to get the best performances from it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
hows this for a hardcore system

486dx 33mhz
16mb ram
diamond 4mb vid
and a killer 250mb HD

J/K was like my first camputer was sitting in the garage and still works
some of you young cats dont even know what is

·
Registered
23 Posts
well I took it up from 133 to 147 or so without any stability problems. After that Prime starts to find errors. That's without doing anything to the voltage, wich I won't modify until I get good cooling. I'm with the stock cooler ATM

·
Registered
23 Posts
updating on that, still at 147, with 37 C idle, 47 C Max load (as reported by Asus Probe II). I need some better mem-sticks too

·
Registered
23 Posts
55? You sure? The specs I DL-ed from Intel say 75 MAX temp suported. Celsius offcourse.

It's weird, anyway I don't plan on going higher untill I get better cooling and better memory. So far I've just tried the waters sort of speak.

·
Daves not here man
1,474 Posts
I also have the same 2.8 Northwood, i could never get it to run stable over 3.4, but I was also using a $20 ECS l4vx2a mobo and pc2100 ram, man that thing sucked
The CPU-Z is in my profile. I had to use a low bus speed, it wouldn't run stable any higher. I haven't messed with my new setup much yet, running @ 3.4 with reasonable temps.

·
Registered
140 Posts
If you have some mula check out adeolivers 2.4c 30 capper in the for sale section I think he's asking for $80 for it. 2.4c's are awesome overclockers, and the the 30 cappers are even better. bandwidth is a big deal in overclocking (fsb) prolly more so than raw Mhz imho

·
Daves not here man
1,474 Posts
I haven't really looked into 800mhz bus processors, my new board supports them. So after I get tired of this 2.8, I'll prolly upgrade. Just playing around right now, this is only my second overclock, which I hope to be better than the first.

·
Daves not here man
1,474 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgtkillmore

Howdy guys, first time overclocker long time nerd.

So I decided my compy was getting a little slow. I wandered on over here and read through the Intel overclocking guide and numerous other things on here. Very informative, cool stuff.

I'm having a little trouble though. Compy I'm overclocking is the one in my sig. So this is pretty much where I'm at right now:

I can't really seem to get much higher. I'm assuming it's capable of going faster though, I read about a few setups basically identical to mine that were running 3.8. Any suggestions? Main thing I'm confused about is RAM timings. I tried various settings but none of them seem to make any difference when I try upping the FSB. I've hit the wall with vcore so the next step is to adjust RAM timings to allow a faster stable speed with the FSB, correct?

Anyways, any help would be awesome.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me why my multiplier is locked at 21x, I just noticed that with the same processor, you are able to run 14x for the multi.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It's not the same revision processor.
Mine is 21x too.
I managed to get mine around 3.4 too but I got some errors in Prime95 so I took it back a notch. After I change my mem's and add some decent cooling (I'm on stock right now) I'll take it a bit higher.

PS: you can rarely find a CPU with the multiplier unblocked... usualy only the Engineering samples are unlocked, and I don't know a single place where you can buy them.

·
Daves not here man
1,474 Posts
Ah, I believe i'm going to start looking into a different processor, think I have hit the limit with what i have. I've been thinking about a 2.8 800 fsb northy with ht, anyone got ideas what revisions and steppings i should be looking for?

I also saw this go through ebay <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6881205740&rd=1&sspage name=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1">3.2ghz ht, engineering sample?<a/> wasn't sure about it so i didn't bid, lol.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts