Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI guys,

well Im a total noob in overclocking, and this is my first experience.
Before that I had cheap msi b75 mITX mobo, which wasnt made for overclocking at all, but yesturday I have finally upgraded my mobo to evga stinger to try some overclock on my 3570k.

Ive read a lot of negative comments on this particular mobo, but there were no much of a choice, and the mainreason for buying this was the esthetics for my build. I knew that asus had better solutions but blue mobo, will not fit black and red theme of my build. But anyway I had problem runing this svga z77 stinger on stock speeds. It was quite unstable and under a load it had random shut downs. But efter overclocking in to 4.2Ghz system seems to be very stable, idk why actually.
But the main reason why Im crating this thread is to make sure if Im doing things right. Because it is my first oc experience.

Im running 3570k on evga z77 stinger mITX mobo in my bitfenix prodigy cooled my corsair h100i in push pull mod with stock fans and sp120qe.

the first thing is the temperatures. I had my 3570k running on a previous mobo at stock speeds in idle 24-30C and under a load 59-63 degrees. I thought these temos were a little bit high for stock frequences, but had no options to improove it. I tried everything and the temps were same, even rubber washers to make cpu cooler backplate fit tightly.

after installing my new mobo, temps were the same, maybe 2-3 higher in stock speeds. And as I mentioned before the system was terrible unstable.

After overclocking to 4.2 my idle tems are same 24-30C, but under a load temps are near to stock config. 64C on the max. I ran this config with prime 95 for whole night and temps were 66 on the max. No BSODs or random shut downs. Is it okay? or Im doing something wrong?
here is a photo of bios settings. I have voltage set to 1.250, but in windows Coretemps says that the voltage 1.3260 or something, is it too high? or its ok?

Here is a screenshot. In windows.

Bigger version

I watched a video on youtube were guys were overclocking the same cpu on the same mobo and cooler to 4.4Ghz and were stable. In my case when I go over 4.2Ghz my system becomes unstable with BSODS or freezes, and I need to make cmos reset. ) Am I doing something wrong or it also depends on which PSU i use? I use corsair tx750m, which is one of the cheapest ones among 750w PSUs.

Im okay with 4.2Ghz OC. I dont feel like I need more, Im just curious. And I need to know that all what Im doing is right. SO thants why I need your help guys
smile.gif

I appreciate any help) thanX)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Cpu overclocking result varies by each cpu's and it totally depends on silicon lottery.
So there's nothing wrong with what you did.
Managing temperatures may increase your overclocking results.
Using good cooler, applying better TIM with right application process, de-lidding, lapping. etc...
Your temps are still in safe range, so try raising your vcore up to 1.3 ish, and see if you could get higher multiplier stable.
I personally allow my cpu's full load temperatures to get upto 90c for extreme overclocking but I think that's just too high.
Try to say under 80c then you should be fine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you.
Im actually okay with the temps I get. The only thing that I dont get is why VID is ho high and core voltage is so low.
I will ad a screenshot so you can see. I looked through others people results with same processor, and they ussually have core voltage in cpu-z around 1.2-1.3v but I have only around 0.8v...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Many people reported problems with VID reading in CoreTemp, so try installing CPU-Z and see if the reading matches to EVGA E-LEET.

I think the voltage has been adjusted by vdroop in bios setting. It will drop vcore voltage while cpu load and is bad feature for overclocking.

I also see that you have the bus speed at 99.8mhz instead of 100mhz.
This is the result of Spread spectrum so you should disable it.
As far as I know, the spread spectrum may help stabilizing extreme overclock sometimes, but most people don't even bother utilizing this.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan319 View Post

Many people reported problems with VID reading in CoreTemp, so try installing CPU-Z and see if the reading matches to EVGA E-LEET.

I think the voltage has been adjusted by vdroop in bios setting. It will drop vcore voltage while cpu load and is bad feature for overclocking.

I also see that you have the bus speed at 99.8mhz instead of 100mhz.
This is the result of Spread spectrum so you should disable it.
As far as I know, the spread spectrum may help stabilizing extreme overclock sometimes, but most people don't even bother utilizing this.
thank you, fro help
smile.gif

I found out that cpu-z and evga e-leet are showinf absolutely differenet core voltage. 1.268v and 0.856v. Probably I should bevieve each utility to show proper results.
Anyway, I turned off the vdroop, but after that temps got higher, now under a load Ive got something oabout 71C, and before that I had 65C. But the system is still stable and works nicely.

Is it possible that evga mobo hasnt got spread spectrum preference in bios? because I was searching for that and cant find it, or maybe its called differently?
smile.gif

·
Registered
97 Posts
1.268v sounds about right if you set the vcore to 1.25 in bios.

I have had almost all other branded motherbards except EVGA so I don't really know where to find it.
And.. If your system was fully stable with vdroop, I think you should keep it enabled since it helps improving temperatures.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan319 View Post

1.268v sounds about right if you set the vcore to 1.25 in bios.

I have had almost all other branded motherbards except EVGA so I don't really know where to find it.
And.. If your system was fully stable with vdroop, I think you should keep it enabled since it helps improving temperatures.
thanx again,

when the vdroop is on, system is stable. And the core voltage in cpu-z is lower. Now it is 1.221-1.223v. And temps are 66C on the max.
I only thing I dont know in this case, which vdroop setting is the best? there are actually options like: Intel SPEC, 75%, 50% and 25%. Now its running 50%.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts