Overclock.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I am looking to purchase a turntable for the first time. I was wondering what would be the best turntable to start with for a beginner with quite a limited budget, with $500 being the very maximum I would be willing to spend. Any suggestions would be brilliant, thanks!

· Registered
2,064 Posts
I'd say a non-beaten up Technics SL1200/1210 maybe? Not sure how much these go for in Canada but it's a well proven, hassle free design that 'just works'.
Stuff like Thorens I've never been a fan of, I consider them extremely overpriced for an AC motor in a particle board plinth.

· Registered
10 Posts
I have a Pro-Ject - Debut Carbon DC that has given me no problems...It is easy to see why this is, not only the best belt-drive turntable under $500.
A little tricky to set up, but performs beautifully. This is replacing a very good, but very old turntable. It is so much better than the old one in many ways.

· H₂O Aficionado
6,033 Posts
I went through the same process about a year ago, albeit on a smaller budget.

I went for the Fluance RT82. They’re a local supplier for me in Ontario, Canada and there was a decent black Friday sale.

I’ve paired that with:
  • Art DJII phono preamp
  • Audioengine A5+

All recommendations from users here. Throughly impressed. At $500 USD for the TT alone, you get into the project carbons like recommend above. There are a LOT of videos with recommendations at that price range but I don’t think you’ll beat the carbon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts