Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK trying to plan my first ever custom loop from a AIO setup, and make it simpler, I have decided to go hard tube (sarcasm intended) and I have chosen some parts and I would like you to review it and suggest possible flaws/mistakes in the parts that I have chosen and if there are mistakes that I have made, please suggest alternatives.

My Choice of parts, please find mistakes in this list, I have read that you should not mix/match metal, please suggest if this is good
Waterblock: EK-FB ASUS ROG R6E RGB Monoblock - Nickel (https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fb-asus-rog-r6e-monoblock-nickel)
Radiator:EK-CoolStream CE 420 (https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-coolstream-ce-420-triple)
Pump/Res Combo: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xres-140-revo-d5-pwm-incl-pump - https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xres-140-revo-d5-pwm-incl-pump

Ideally I would like to use Copper Radiators but the EK one is only 45mm width, if you have some recommendations for a copper radiator that is atleast 60mm with atleast 16 FPI that will be great.

You guys are welcome to suggest a complete different Pump/Res and Rad Combo too. Please note that I will use the EKWB Monoblock as noted above cause that is the only Monoblock available for Rampage VI apex.

Parts to be used in the loop and already bought
Processor: Intel Core i7 7820x
Motherboard: Asus Rampage VI Apex
Graphics Card: Asus GTX 1080Ti Poseidon
Fans: Thermal Riing Plus 140mm 3 fan kit
(http://www.thermaltake.com/Cooler/Case_Fan_/Riing/C_00003057/Riing_Plus_14_RGB_Radiator_Fan_TT_Premium_Edition_3_Fan_Pack_/design.htm)

The custom loop will cool the CPU and GPU. The choice of Asus 1080Ti Poseidon is deliberate since it already comes with a built in waterblock, something that is very good for a novice like me who is setting up custom loop for the first time and therefore dont need to tear up the GPU to set up a new waterblock in.

Case to be used in this build, still not bought
CoolerMaster Cosmos C700P

·
I don't even like Linux
1,284 Posts
It's a fine pump/res, can't go wrong with this model. One thing is that PWM isn't all the useful for pump control... I mean it works, you just don't find yourself in need for controlling pump RPM all the time. Vario D5 would be just as good. I have PWM D5 myself so that's based on my experience.

And, when you speak of copper radiators... There are dozens of models around, most of them copper, from all sorts of manufacturers. If you can't get one from EK, get it elsewhere. But nothing's wrong with the one you linked either. Just get moar! (I'm a fan of rad space overkill... have four 480's in my rig).

Looking at the Poseidon videocard... Maybe it's just me but I've never been a fan of those hybrid water/air models. Waterblock just makes for such a cleaner look. Your choice but I'd consider getting a "normal" waterblock.

·
Old and Decrepit
1,877 Posts
You didn't mention what case.

As for rads, Ive found no difference in copper other than cost.

Send back the Poseidon card if you can. You can do much better with a 1080 ti and a proper water block. Thing is the Poseidon doesnt have a water block already, it has a heat sink like any other card then a tube that runs through the heat sink that carries the liquid. About like a heat pipe. none of it comes in contact with the VRMs. I was looking at it myself and after much deliberation and lots of reading of reviews its not nearly as good a having a proper water block, not even close.

Good choice in block for CPU, I bought one myself. Pump should be OK.

I would have chosen a case with more rad capacity.

Im about overkill as well and for a reason. They work better and a lot quieter.

Im running an obsidian 900D with 2 480s a 360 and a 240.

Your fans are all wrong. Not enough static pressure to work well with rads.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks cmpxchg8b and JustinThyme. Thanks for replying guys, very much appreciated. The case will be Cooler Master Cosmos C700P.

Case is a subjective choice and I have decided to choose a case which unfortunately have a maximum limitation of 420mm rad. Once I get my case, I am planning to improvise and see if I can fit two 420mm rads, and if I can, I will be golden. My simple maths says that 420mm rads have bigger space ( cause 420mm x 140mm) then 480mm rads ( cause 480mm x 120 mm) - so please correct me if I am wrong.

I am happy that you guys think that my choice is more or less all right and the CPU Monoblock is a good one.

If there is any alternative 420mm copper based rad and reservoir/pump you guys would like to recommend, please advise.

And if the EK is the best one, is it not possible that I get one with a bigger reservoir rather then the default reservoir of 205 ml ?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
honestly it all comes down to the fans you use, you can get good 120mm fans cheaper than you can get good 140mm fans, and are you comparing thick 420mm rad to thick 480mm rad or thin 420mm rad to thick 480mm rad.

In general with all things being similar the 420 will perform better, meaning the same FPI, the same thickness, and the same fan RPM/static pressure ratings(damn near impossible to test reliably).

If I had to choose between a thick 480mm rad with 1800RPM fans and a thin 420mm rad with 1600RPM fans, I'd probably go for the 480, but if the 420mm rad is thick, I would go with that even if the fan RPM is the same.

since you seem dead set on that case, make sure it can take a thick(54-60mm) rad with fans without interfering with the motherboard or ram or VRM heatsinks.

As for the comment about going else where for the 420mm rad is going with a thicker rad means better performance out of it, I'm looking to pick up the hardware labs black ice nemesis 560gtx, at the moment one of the best performing 560mm rads with fans between 600-1500RPM, along with some phanteks ph-f140mp fans, I can stand them running full speed if I need to. I'm not into the RGB craze so maybe check out the RGB rings they sell for fans.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks very much for your reply somebadlemonade. Very much appreciated. I do want to go with a thicker 420mm rad. Problem is the only 'primarily copper' based 420mm rad I could find with 16 FPI density is the EK-CoolStream CE 420 but unfortunately it has only a 45mm thickness. If any of you guys can suggest a 'primarily copper' based rad with atleast 16 FPI density but more thickness, please do.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebadlemonade View Post

I just remembered phanteks makes RGB rings for 120mm and 140mm fans called halos http://www.phanteks.com/Halos.html
Wow never knew about that before. Thanks very much. Unfortunately I have already bought my fans. So I am looking primarily for a Radiator and Res/Pump recommendations to go with my EK-FB ASUS ROG R6E RGB Monoblock. If for some reason I am not happy with the fans and decided to return them, I will look into these fans rings though. So your reply is very much appreciated
smile.gif

·
Old and Decrepit
1,877 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by babebunny View Post

Wow never knew about that before. Thanks very much. Unfortunately I have already bought my fans. So I am looking primarily for a Radiator and Res/Pump recommendations to go with my EK-FB ASUS ROG R6E RGB Monoblock. If for some reason I am not happy with the fans and decided to return them, I will look into these fans rings though. So your reply is very much appreciated
smile.gif
I would return those fans if you can. They are at the bottom of the barrel on static pressure. Lots of fans out there that double the static pressure of those fans and then some.

Example your fans
SP= 1.53 mmH2O

Corsair SP120 PWM
SP= 3.1 mmH20

Bling is nice, we all like it. but some times you have to make a decision on which is better. Looking good or performing better. You went for the APEX so I would assume you are looking for max clocks.

Oh sorry I thought you had the 7920 not the 7820.
Shouldn't have to worry much about that chip causing and rise in temps and can get by with an air cooler.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks JustinThyme, I will see how these fans perform with a 7820x and then I will decide. In the meantime if you have any suggestions for any other 420mm rad or Pump/Res Combo, please let me know.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Hi there

Personally I would have look on HWLabs radiators than EK CE,but really depends on where are you located

For pump and reservoir have look on Monsoon MMRS with D5

I would agree with fans,there are several good fans which will outperform Ring fans and will be quieter fans as well

I would have look on PH-F140MP or BeQuiet Silent Wings 3 or Noiseblocker NB eLoop

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks very much Jura11 for your reply, appreciated. I was really looking for a Nemesis 420 GTX but doesn't look like I can get it here in Australia
frown.gif
!

·
Overclocked
2,003 Posts
Quote:

Thanks very much Jura11 for your reply, appreciated. I was really looking for a Nemesis 420 GTX but doesn't look like I can get it here in Australia
frown.gif
!
Probably your best option given your location is the same as mine would be EK CE420 combined with Corsair ML140 Pro's which are very high static pressure but expensive
smile.gif

·
Overclocked
2,003 Posts
Quote:

Thanks Scracy for your recommendation. Appreciated
smile.gif
No problem
thumb.gif

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Quote:

frown.gif
!
Hi there

What other radiators options do you have in Australia?

That's sad there you can't get there HWLabs radiators

EK radiators are not bad,but usually these radiators are usually needs fast or faster fans

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by jura11 View Post

Hi there

What other radiators options do you have in Australia?

That's sad there you can't get there HWLabs radiators

EK radiators are not bad,but usually these radiators are usually needs fast or faster fans

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura
Thanks for your reply Jura. We get Thermaltake Aluminium radiators and EK when it comes to 420mm rads. So I will go EK CE 420 I guess.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for your reply Jura. We get Thermaltake Aluminium radiators and EK when it comes to 420mm rads. So I will go EK CE 420 I guess.
Hi there

Aha,then agree EK CE420 will be better there,but if you can get HWLabs then I would get it

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

·
Old and Decrepit
1,877 Posts
EK CE 420 is a good choice. Im current running two EK Rads. a 420 PE and and a 420XE. The CE is in between then there is the SE that is better than nothing if you have a very tight space.
Im also running a combination of Corsair fans, with a few ML 120s and the rest all SP120s and all of the PWM variety. PWM is important. If you use any with LEDS and voltage control the LED intensity will go up and down with the voltage applied where a PWM has 12V 100% and a varying duty cycle to the actual fans controller circuit on the fan itself. The PWM fans are always quieter at lower RPMs regardless of who makes them and they are capable of lower speeds without stalling like the voltage controlled fans will.

·
Registered
18 Posts
As for a GPU with waterblock pre-installed, have you looked at EVGA's Hydro Copper cards? They have 1080 reference and 1080 TI cards with the water block pre-installed. I believe they have assignable RGB lighting as well.

I'll add in another vote in favor of the vario pump over PWM control. In this configuration, I'd go with a setting of 3, and never look back. I'll also add a vote in favor of higher SP fans, especially since you're looking at a high density radiator.
Quote:

frown.gif
!
That's too bad. It's always better to have more options.

On the plus side, even with lower pressure fans and a "second best" radiator, you should have overkill with a 420 rad for just those two blocks.
thumb.gif
There has never been anything wrong with excess radiator, as long as you have room for it.

Lastly, I'm not so much a fan of the monoblock. I prefer to be able to carry over my CPU block from one build to the next, with the biggest change being a mounting solution.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts