Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, finally after a very long time i will be able to build my first custom water cooled system.Case is Phantes Enthoo pro M,mobo Asus CHVIII and cpu 3900X.In the future if I manage to get my hands on a gpu it will be added to the loop until then I will use my 1080ti on air.I live in Australia and there is only EK and Corsair parts around here.I would like to use those specific rads from alphacool but shipping costs are insanely high so an extra pair of eyes would be much appreciated in case I forget or miss something.Thanks in advance.
watercooling.JPG

360: Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper X-Flow 360mm radiator
240: Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper X-Flow 240mm radiator
140: Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper X-Flow 140mm radiator
CPU: Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge - Acryl Chrome Digital RGB

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,723 Posts
Since you have Corsair available to you, I would strongly suggest ditching the AC fittings for Corsair fittings (which are rebranded Bitspower). The AC rotary fittings are notorious for leaks, while the Bitspower are top notch.

Also, personal preference, but like most users I would use 10/16 tubing and fittings rather than 10/13. the thicker wall allows for tighter bends without kinking or collapsing, and is also far more command and readily available.

• Rep+
Reactions: 0451

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.I can get the bitspower ones but they're tripple the price.Are the EK fittings decent?They 're half the price of the bitspower ones.I definitely do not want to compromise the loop in any way.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,723 Posts
Thanks.I can get the bitspower ones but they're tripple the price.Are the EK fittings decent?They 're half the price of the bitspower ones.I definitely do not want to compromise the loop in any way.
EK fittings are ok, but no way I would use their rotaries again. The extra expense on the Bitspower/Corsair rotaries is worth every penny. My understanding was that Corsair was comparably priced to EK in Australia, was I misinformed? Or are you looking at Bitspower branded rotaries? The Corsair are the same fittings just with a different logo.

·
Premium Member
3,680 Posts
If talking compression fittings I wouldn’t go as far as saying EK’s are ok, I’ve had many that got stuck screwing down and or just wouldn’t unscrew at all.
The only fittings I’d trust from EK are the extensions and non rotary angled fittings.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Rather than a 10/13 compression+rotaries combo I would guess separate rotaries with their own fittings is more adaptable to changes & issues. I've encountered often I need to remove the fitting on a rotarie to screw them into correct position before I add the fittings because of place constrictions. Those Combo things would be such a hassle to mount in tight spaces and not reusable if you decide to change fittings or such at some point.

• Rep+
Reactions: whaletail934

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,410 Posts
Remove that 140mm radiator and apply the money saved to the better fittings (if they are better) if you want to be more savvy with the budget.

140mm radiator is a bit odd, will offer little additional cooling but likely offset by more restriction, and will require more fittings. I can't compare fittings to fittings. I only purchased bitspower fittings for my loop as they were recommended to me many years ago. If I look at my old build log, I have:

BitsPower 90 Degree Rotary Adapter M/F G1/4 Black Sparkle (1)
BitsPower 45 Degree High Flow Rotary Adapter M/F G1/4 Black Sparkle (2)

My last comment, I have no experience with Alphacool but if I were to buy a new block today, i'd go straight for a heatkiller. It's not in stock today but i'd email them to confirm availability or est. shipment time for next supply.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,723 Posts
If talking compression fittings I wouldn’t go as far as saying EK’s are ok, I’ve had many that got stuck screwing down and or just wouldn’t unscrew at all.
The only fittings I’d trust from EK are the extensions and non rotary angled fittings.
I was feeling charitable, and given his options and the pricing......but, yeah, I would never buy another EK fitting.

·
WaterCooler
4,269 Posts
Quality fittings are expensive, but do you really want to deal with potential leaks or other issue popping up? Buy once, cry once.

Definitely recommend you stick with Bitspower or Corsair (rebranded Bitspower) for special fittings like rotaries and valve fittings, etc.

• Rep+
Reactions: ciarlatano

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,723 Posts
Quality fittings are expensive, but do you really want to deal with potential leaks or other issue popping up? Buy once, cry once.

Definitely recommend you stick with Bitspower or Corsair (rebranded Bitspower) for rotaries and valve fittings, etc.
In the case of rotaries, I absolutely agree. But, just regular fittings, Barrow fittings are inexpensive and the quality is fine. The quality is actually better than a lot of fittings that are far more expensive ::coughcoughEKcoughcough:: XSPC also makes nice fittings that are priced lower than many others.

·
WaterCooler
4,269 Posts
In the case of rotaries, I absolutely agree. But, just regular fittings, Barrow fittings are inexpensive and the quality is fine. The quality is actually better than a lot of fittings that are far more expensive ::coughcoughEKcoughcough:: XSPC also makes nice fittings that are priced lower than many others.
Oh for sure, I maybe should have emphasized more, but I really was just speaking towards the special fittings like rotaries and other special fittings like valves for drain ports. I got 10 year old BP rotaries and a drain port valve fittings still going strong in one of my builds.

·
H₂O Aficionado
4,410 Posts
^^

Agreed. My rotary fittings are Bitspower but everything else I have is XSPC.

Full fitting list in my system:
  • XSPC 7/16 ID / 5/8 OD Compression Black ChromeFittings (12)
  • BitsPower 90 Degree Rotary Adapter M/F G1/4 Black Sparkle (1)
  • BitsPower 45 Degree High Flow Rotary Adapter M/F G1/4 Black Sparkle (2)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for the replies.The normal fittings locally from corsair cost 30 per piece,yea i know.I ll prob use aquatuning for my purchase.They sell the bitspower 10/16 for 15$ and 30$ for the rotaries.I have two HDDs in my case and that restricts me from using a 360 on the front.I also have two spare Noctua NF-A14 that i plan to put on the front.The problem is due to the hdd cage i will have to use a 240 radiator in the front and thats why was planing to use a 360 on top and a 140 on the rear.That is also the reason I want to go for those radiators.They barely fit but according to my measurements there should be enough space to connect them.I have also read good things about heatkiller for amd cpus might as well give it a try since i just picked a block that i thought would look cool for a decent price.
Is it better to use these: Bitspower Anschluss 45 degree G1/4 Zoll to 16/10mm - rotatable - Matt Black
or these: Bitspower Winkel G1/4 Zoll to IG 1/4 Zoll - Shiny Black, 45 degree dreh.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
824 Posts
These 3 are available : Watercool HEATKILLER® IV PRO ( AM4 ready) COPPER NI
Watercool HEATKILLER® IV PRO (processor) BLACK COPPER
Watercool HEATKILLER® IV BASIC ( AM4 ready) ACETAL
The only deference apart from aesthetics is the bottom plate.Does it matter or should I go for the one that I like the most?
The pro has more fin surface area for cooling over the basic, I would go for one of the pro models. Besides that it comes down to your aesthetic preference.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I 've found a way to get rid of my hdd cage by screwing the hdds straight to the chassis,that frees space on the front.The clearance in the front is 410 mm and on top is 430 mm.I am wondering if it is possible to fit two 360 rads in there one 413x30 and one 400x30 or is it better to be safe with the first one and a 280 on the front?Also I will not be using the intake of the bump so I am planing to screw there the thermal sensor.Is that a good place or is it better to get one that is pass through and place it someplace else?Last question is it better to use a thin rad as intake so that you can have better airflow in the case or it doesnt matter?

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,723 Posts
I 've found a way to get rid of my hdd cage by screwing the hdds straight to the chassis,that frees space on the front.The clearance in the front is 410 mm and on top is 430 mm.I am wondering if it is possible to fit two 360 rads in there one 413x30 and one 400x30 or is it better to be safe with the first one and a 280 on the front?Also I will not be using the intake of the bump so I am planing to screw there the thermal sensor.Is that a good place or is it better to get one that is pass through and place it someplace else?Last question is it better to use a thin rad as intake so that you can have better airflow in the case or it doesnt matter?
The performance difference between equivalent quality 360+280 and two 360mm would be minimal. Along the lines of minimal enough that it would be hard to measure. With that, and the layout of the Pro M, you are totally chasing your tail and creating unnecessary work trying to do two 360mm. On top of that, with the airflow characteristics of the Pro M, most have gotten better results with the 280-360 than with two 360mm.

In other words....do the 280+360.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Will do that.Thank you.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After reasearching more and taking your advise I had to change a couple of things.Please let me know how this looks.Also I read that all radiators need to be cleaned before installation with preferably a mayhem clean kit, I will look into that further.
WC.JPG
WC1.JPG

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I would also like to ask anyone that uses the aquacomputer D5 next if it is possible to mount the bump with the included bracket as the brackets for Heatkiller tube are unavailable on this site.If so what is the distance between the screws on the back,I might be able to mount that on the case.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts