Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I am about to start my first water cooling rig...I can't decide on single or dual loop and would love some input. I will be running an i7 920, EVGA X58 SLI LE board and Radeon HD 5970 all with EK waterblocks. I am planning on running a XSPC RX360 in the top and an RX120 in the bottom of my new obsidian with an XSPC 5.25 bay res/pump combo with a Laing DDC pump. I am curious whether I should setup a single loop or go for dual loop seperating the mobo block from the cpu and gpu. I would love any input on this as its my first run with WC and need advice on the benefits and drawbacks of single loop vs dual loop for my particular setup.

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
If you were to run a dual loop, I'd suggest doing it differently. Giving the chipset its own loop is not very productive. If anything, separate the CPU and GPU and put the chipset in whichever of those two loops you'd like (ideally the one with lower temperatures). However, I'd recommend at least a 240 rad for the GPU loop.

EDIT: I'd set up the single loop and see how your temperatures are. Chances are you'll want to go dual, but you never know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok but do you think the 120 is enough to cool my i7? I plan to OC it to 4ghz not sure about the cooling capabilities of each but I knew the GPU would be too much for the 120 by itself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just worried the 120 wont be sufficient because I know the 920 generates quite a large amount of heat.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright well I decided to just cut some of the case bottom out so I can just toss a 240 in there and run a dual loop.The 360 on the CPU and MB block, 240 on the second loop with the GPU.

·
Premium Member
4,914 Posts
your revised loop with the 240 and 360 rads sounds like it will be just fine for your hardware.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I am however not looking forward to cutting such a pretty case...oh well at least the cut will be covered up by the radiator =P

·
Premium Member
21,169 Posts
Sorry for not responding to you again last night D3VI, internet was being testy and I needed sleep. But I believe cutting the case to fit a 240 is a great idea. If you're nervous about it, check in the case modding section and plenty of members will give you some tips.

·
Registered
35 Posts
me n my friend had to cut the bottom aswell to put a douple rad at the bottom im attacting a pic as u might hav to cut one of the wents in the middle aswell if u decide on a double loop

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies
Yea I was worried those pre-drilled holes might be a problem for routing to the 240
I am thinking more along the lines of drilling out new holes and trying to find new gasket things for a cleaner/safer setup. I am just worried about accidentally cutting the tubing

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am curious what did you and your friend use to cover the hole in the bottom and prevent dust from getting in the case? I am looking but not finding exactly what I wanted in the way of dust guards that cover the 240 opening in the case floor...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by D3VI
View Post

I am curious what did you and your friend use to cover the hole in the bottom and prevent dust from getting in the case? I am looking but not finding exactly what I wanted in the way of dust guards that cover the 240 opening in the case floor...

nothing cause we cudnt find fan ducts anywhere in pakistan he then decided to basically position the fans so air is blown out of the case

sorry for the late reply am working on my mod n wc kit so was a bit busy

·
Registered
35 Posts
but u can use the fan ducts that are available on performance pc or any other site.....or u can buy the material similar to the filter of ac units and cut it up to size and place it over the hole...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts