Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have 2 questions regarding cpu-z. Even when i have 3 sticks of 512 RAM in my slots, it still reads it in dual channel mode.

The other question is sort of confusing now lets see if i make sense here; There are 3 slots for ram on my mobo, 2 of them are light purple, 1 blue. When i put the ram in the 2 pruple slots(which is what people tell me to do) cpu-z reads it as single channel, but when i put one stick in the purple, and one in the blue, it is dual channel. Is this normal or whats going on here?

·
Banned
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is there any other program that can tell me if its running in dual channelmode? i read the manual and theres nothing about it, but i know it does indeed support dual channel. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
The channels should go..1a,1b,2a.
1a+2a=dual channel...1a+1b=single channel. Not sure why it reads as dual with all 3 slots full. I would think it would revert to single as default at that point.

·
Banned
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so busa, ur telling me that my sticks are currently in the correct slots? thats what im mainly concerned about. that it is indeed running in dual mode and cpu-z isnt lying to me

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Sounds like it buddy. Slots normally run from closest to furthest from cpu. 1a-1b-2a-2b-3a-3b...etc. Sticks in each channel usually are dual. I'm not familiar with your mb exactly...but that's how most mb's are set up.
Supports up to 3GB of Single/Dual channel DIMM modules, delivering bandwidth of 6.4GB/sec.
So it is definately like I said...slots 1 and 3 and all 3 slots full will be dual channel...and sticks in slots 1 and 2 would be single.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts