Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ive had my 3 red ring of light for awhile and i was going to get it repaired and just sell it but now i fixed it so i believe ill keep it. I used the towel trick
usually the towel trick only works for about half an hour or a couple of hours but mine lasted for 27 hours and then i restarted it and waited another 9 hours and it all worked fine. I did the normal towel trick but with alot more towels 5 or 6 towels completly covering all holes then turn on your 360 and let it go until the 3 red rings turn into 2 red rings (2 mean overheating) but keep a watchful eye and dont let it run too long with the 2 red rings on it so that you dont kill in any other parts. Remove all towels then let it sit for half an hour (it should be very hot) then boot it up and play some call of duty

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
yeah heared about the towel method, basically it resolderes the cpu/gpu core(s) to the circuitboard.
Because of the heat and cooling down of the machine some solderpoints can come loosened, breaking the contact between pcb and core, which gives the red lights.
Microsoft should have done a better job cooling it, and read somewhere most third party coolers were burning out the power adapter, leaving not many options.....i believe they all have this flaw......

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bblackmon19 View Post
Well ive had my 3 red ring of light for awhile and i was going to get it repaired and just sell it but now i fixed it so i believe ill keep it. I used the towel trick
usually the towel trick only works for about half an hour or a couple of hours but mine lasted for 27 hours and then i restarted it and waited another 9 hours and it all worked fine. I did the normal towel trick but with alot more towels 5 or 6 towels completly covering all holes then turn on your 360 and let it go until the 3 red rings turn into 2 red rings (2 mean overheating) but keep a watchful eye and dont let it run too long with the 2 red rings on it so that you dont kill in any other parts. Remove all towels then let it sit for half an hour (it should be very hot) then boot it up and play some call of duty

...why dont you just send it in...its free, only a week plus with out a xbox360...its would beat putting towels around your 360 all day..

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sistum Id View Post
...why dont you just send it in...its free, only a week plus with out a xbox360...its would beat putting towels around your 360 all day..

cause they have got so many comeing i wouldnt get it back for about 2 months and i only put towels on there for about 20 mins but i tested it to make sure it worked for 27 hours

1 - 5 of 5 Posts