Overclock.net banner

fixing a heatsink?

1149 Views 26 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  HardwaterH4ck3r
I would like to know if there is a way to restore the "perfect flat" surface of a heatsink(the part that actually comes in contact with the CPU). Like if it had small grooves in it or something, how could I fix that?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
6,537 Posts
use this lapping kit, it is sanding the surface perfectly flat and polishing the surface mirror smooth,it can drop your temps about 2-3 c too...... check this site for a good lapping kit...http://www.easypckits.com/

· Premium Member
6,537 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lightsource

Not JUST a fine grit sandpaper, but multiple grits.

From 400 to 2000 (I think), there's about 5 variations between 400 to 2000 that you should get to lap it, and you take a marker, and make an x on the surface, make a figure 8 motion on a sandpaper that is fixed to the desk so it won't move.

ya pretty much, but you dont want to do it on a desk... you want to do it on a piece of glass to insure that it is super flat...

· Premium Member
6,537 Posts
ya u usaully wanna buy a premade kit cuz it is cheap and works well, but if your like me and have tons of leftover sandpaper.... you can just use that... u wanna start with 400,then 600,800,1000,1500,2000 than if you really want it like a mirror and to be perfect, use some polishing compound w/ a polishing wheel... bling bling!!!

· Premium Member
6,537 Posts
ya either way works....but you just need to have a piece of glass to do it on....or super flat surface

· Premium Member
6,537 Posts
what was the final grit you used? 2500? or polishing compound? and if compound what kind?

· Premium Member
6,537 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mastacator

Final grit was 2500 yes. I did rub the shine into it with a diamond micron metal buffing compound. Just finished installing the GPU dropped 2c at idle!!

sweet! im planning on lapping my cpu,chipset cooler,and maybe gpu...but i dont think the gpu is worth it

· Premium Member
6,537 Posts
ya i lapped my vga cooler with 400grit paper cuz thats all i had, it was a molded heatsink and it wasnt very flat either... but how are you gonna setup a heatpipe cooler on your northbidge? i would like to know this...

· Premium Member
6,537 Posts
so r u gonna like make your own heatpipe or what? im kind confused on what your planning to do....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.