Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering about this, i just got new speakers and would like to try it!
where can i get some?
do i need a special player (software) for it? or can i use itunes?
how large are FLAC files? (average size)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,611 Posts
FLAC varies between 20mb-40mb per song, but obviously depends on how great the compression is and how long the song. You can either get it by ripping your own CD's or finding a legal download site that sells tracks in lossless (they usually come as .wav's that you can then convert).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
809 Posts
I dont know if iTunes will play them I have no experience with it. But to properly make FLAC files you need to start with CD's or .wav files that have not already been converted to any lossy format (mp3, wma) I use foobar 2000 to convert and to play back my FLACs. Ave size depends on what level you use when compressing them but mine ave 30-40 mb
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
18,611 Posts
I don't think iTunes supports FLAC (but you can use their ALAC format (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) which is supported). The most popular players are probably Winamp and Foobar2000.
 

·
Too Poor For This
Joined
·
7,054 Posts
You can download it (legally of course) or you can rip it from CDs. I personally use Winamp and it works great for me. iTunes is a bit easier to work with when it comes to changing information for songs but the interface is still easy to use. FLAC+Soundcard+Nice Speakers/Headphones=Sex
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
30-40mb?!?
christ!
do you know a site where i can get some samples of .flac or .wav?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,738 Posts
Correct, iTunes does not play FLAC. I would personally use foobar2000 to play the files. It's what I use.

Your best bet to get FLAC is to get EAC (Exact Audio Copy) and make rip the cd's yourself. The only complicated thing about the process is making the first setup for EAC, setting all the correct options. But once you have done that, it is really easy to use.

The process of ripping a cd to flac is ripping to WAV first and then the flac encoder boots up and compresses the file to flac. The flac encoder starts automatically if you have it set so in the options.
 

·
Too Poor For This
Joined
·
7,054 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Tizmo
View Post

Correct, iTunes does not play FLAC. I would personally use foobar2000 to play the files. It's what I use.

Your best bet to get FLAC is to get EAC (Exact Audio Copy) and make rip the cd's yourself. The only complicated thing about the process is making the first setup for EAC, setting all the correct options. But once you have done that, it is really easy to use.

The process of ripping a cd to flac is ripping to WAV first and then the flac encoder boots up and compresses the file to flac. The flac encoder starts automatically if you have it set so in the options.

That's why I use Winamp. It rips to FLAC in one swoop. All you have to do is select FLAC and set it to whatever compression ratio you want (I set it to best quality) and let it run.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,785 Posts
Don't forget Foobar2000 when you want to play your FLAC tracks. Acquire them how you please, but keep it legal.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
3,639 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by alex98uk
View Post

FLAC varies between 20mb-40mb per song, but obviously depends on how great the compression is and how long the song. You can either get it by ripping your own CD's or finding a legal download site that sells tracks in lossless (they usually come as .wav's that you can then convert).

Ya a legal download site...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
are there some sample sites?
i downloaded Foobar2k, i noticed all my music is in there, sadly i believe its all .mp3

whats the next step?
find a c-d?
 

·
Too Poor For This
Joined
·
7,054 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kye7;12010192
are there some sample sites?
i downloaded Foobar2k, i noticed all my music is in there, sadly i believe its all .mp3

whats the next step?
find a c-d?
Yea, just get any retail CD and use Winamp to rip it and just select the "FLAC" file type and let it rip. Doesn't take too long.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,229 Posts
vlc is quite good all in one player and plays most of the formats(audio/video) out there
now about flac there are few things to consider.....
not many people are that sensitive that they can make out the difference between a high bitrate mp3 and flac.....
secondly u need a pretty good set of speakers and pretty good sound card to actually appreciate the flac quality(considering u r quite sensitive).....
and yes flac's are humongous in size so if u can't notice any change over ur mp3's then its not wise to waste ur disk space.......
 

·
Too Poor For This
Joined
·
7,054 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ghost_z
View Post

vlc is quite good all in one player and plays most of the formats(audio/video) out there
now about flac there are few things to consider.....
not many people are that sensitive that they can make out the difference between a high bitrate mp3 and flac.....
secondly u need a pretty good set of speakers and pretty good sound card to actually appreciate the flac quality(considering u r quite sensitive).....
and yes flac's are humongous in size so if u can't notice any change over ur mp3's then its not wise to waste ur disk space.......


I'm running a Xonar DG with ATH-M40fs and I can easily notice the difference between FLAC and iTunes MP3. I got my brother to put them on and he doesn't even know what FLAC is and he thought it sounded amazing...then he refused to give back my headphones...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
alright i got a whole album from a user
how do i import it/add it to winamp/foobar? i have both currently
the album is ~510mb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_TDI_02;12010332
I'm running a Xonar DG with ATH-M40fs and I can easily notice the difference between FLAC and iTunes MP3. I got my brother to put them on and he doesn't even know what FLAC is and he thought it sounded amazing...then he refused to give back my headphones...
i did not say that flac is not better its just that some people are less sensitive and some are more.......so yes in ur case u and ur bro are quite good at picking up change in music....
thumb.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by VW_TDI_02
View Post

if you're using winamp just go to file and click on "add media to library"

sweet it got it!
:)
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top