Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
My current Rig - Asus Tuf X570, Ryzen 3700X, 64GB Corsair 3600 DDR4, MSI RTX 2080 Super
Joined
·
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you can see from my specs, I have two 5830s in CF. I mished mashed this system
together without thinking about it thoroughly. I wish I bought the GTX 470s or 460s because I really do hate the ATI drivers!! Anyway, my alternatives are selling the 5830s or trying to flash them with a 5870 bios. Have any of your tried to flash your video cards with a different card's bios? If so, what was your success rate, etc.?

Thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
My current Rig - Asus Tuf X570, Ryzen 3700X, 64GB Corsair 3600 DDR4, MSI RTX 2080 Super
Joined
·
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by LethalRise750 View Post
It won't work, The bios is written to recognize different voltage requirements for a 5870, there is also 480 Stream Processor difference.
This could be my niavete' but isn't the 5830 the same reference pcb as the 5870 except that the SPs were just disabled. I was wondering if the 5870 bios could re-enable the SPs on the 5830. Plus the 5830 is a power hog just like the 5870 so I assume the voltages are the same?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,982 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zmanster View Post
This could be my niavete' but isn't the 5830 the same reference pcb as the 5870 except that the SPs were just disabled. I was wondering if the 5870 bios could re-enable the SPs on the 5830. Plus the 5830 is a power hog just like the 5870 so I assume the voltages are the same?
But the voltages aren't the same. It won't work.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,028 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alphabot View Post
try it and see anyway

ya and brick his card? i dont think so

just overclock it to 5870 speeds and you could perform almost like a 5870.
but it will use as much power as fermi so...

i think flashing it to 5850 is safer, but i suggest not
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
Why are u wanting to change your bios to a 5870 in the first place? I have two HIS 5830's and they run fine, I'm running at 925/1225 at the moment. Just leave it how it is and overclock them. These cards really get a bad wrap imo, they are good performers and oc pretty well even without voltage adjustment. However, I did adjust the 5830 bios using RBE to allow for higher oc'ing using CCC, it seems to be more stable now, than it was when I used Afterburner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
i might try the RBE thing too - i'm stuck at 880/1000 at the moment and that yields the fastest fps results. i'm using the setting between performance and balanced on the ccc 3d settings too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alphabot View Post
i might try the RBE thing too - i'm stuck at 880/1000 at the moment and that yields the fastest fps results. i'm using the setting between performance and balanced on the ccc 3d settings too
I dont know about the gigabyte 5830 but I was able to get my single card to 950/1275, so you should be able to get well over 880/1000.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
83 Posts
yeah mine wont go anywhere near that.

i've gone in to rbe and adjusted the stock settings to 860/1000. has anyone tried changing the voltages with this program?

i noticed on the f2 version of my bios that there were 2 options 1.15v and 1.063v. on f5 there is only 1.15 (however i changed this f5 bios to have the low settings run on 1.063v instead of 1.15v
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
974 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by alphabot
View Post

yeah mine wont go anywhere near that.

i've gone in to rbe and adjusted the stock settings to 860/1000. has anyone tried changing the voltages with this program?

i noticed on the f2 version of my bios that there were 2 options 1.15v and 1.063v. on f5 there is only 1.15 (however i changed this f5 bios to have the low settings run on 1.063v instead of 1.15v

I've never tried rbe before with voltage control, as the 5830 dosen't have a reference design, also im not sure if your card supports software voltage control, do you have a link to which revision of the card you have for me to have a look?

I know the new afterburner supports software overvolting, if your card does.

As for the bios, you could try a bios off a 'super clocked card' or simular which would allow more possible voltages, as that would match the hardware specs of your card, as AMD lasers off the cores on the 5830 which wouldn't allow the 5870 bios to work.
 

·
Registered
My current Rig - Asus Tuf X570, Ryzen 3700X, 64GB Corsair 3600 DDR4, MSI RTX 2080 Super
Joined
·
649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone. I think I'll use RBE and try to get the clocks/memory to higher levels. Some of you guys have similar setups to me, so I should be able to get fairly close to 900/1200.....yes I do know that every gpu is different, though...thanks again everyone.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top