Overclock.net banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently working on a project for a company that will involve me creating a 3D walkthrough of their property. This will be placed on their website. Is there any software that i can create the walkthrough in such as 3Ds max, google sketch-up etc that i can then convert to flash? I am under the understanding that doing the whole thing in flash would not be the most practical of things to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
579 Posts
unfortunately 3ds max and cinema 4d don't render to .swf but if remember correct you can import an .avi file into flash but that would probably ruin the quality or you could render it in 3ds max as an array of images and then import it to flash with better quality or you could try this Electric Rain - 3D Software

·
Premium Member
11,272 Posts
You export it as a video then post it on YouTube or something. Or you can set up your own Flash streaming.

I thought this would be a given..

·
Registered
364 Posts
i'm assuming they want flash because they want it interactive ?
(as opposed to flash as a video file format)

you CAN do this, it will take a lot of work though.

and yes i've used 3DSMax to create .swf files, there is a plugin (also for maya) to render to .swf
but these .swf files are NOT interactive, simply another format to play the 3d animation.

there are different levels of interactive, for a walkthrough you may be able to make decision based video paths... play videos that walk through a certain point, then ask where to go, then play the correct video to "go" in that direction.

i prefer (and this is probably what they want) full interaction, mouse and/or keyboard control to walk around the 3d models.

if you need more help, please PM me. for some reason the mods don't like it when i help people.

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
you are going through a lot of work trying to get it to be interactive. If you feel strong in your 3Dsmax skills and can duplicate alot of there maps and effects. Go towards using Blender, its a free program that you can get at Blender.org, also, it is the only 3D software out there that has rendering activity capabilites, meaning, that it is the only program that i know of or used that will allow a 3D model project be interactive because it goes through Python. Blender is also what they use to do a lot of gaming and CG, 3Dsmax is great for other stuff but not for what you are really going for. If you choose not to go that route, u can design everything in 3Dsmax, and then import it into flash as a movie file, then go to the components section, click the video section, and find some actionscript on how to call the movie into play. Then export it as a movie clip, place it in whatever table or what you prefer on the web page. Also, if you do it this way, it will not be user accessible, meaning the viewer will not be able to control it, you will have to make a walk through. If you have any questions, let me know, and ill try to help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
hey THeRemix or anyone else that can help. i have a sketchup file and want to convert it into an interactive flash file. i can put the sketchup into 3dmax or other like programs if needed. The interactive flash file would need to be available and interactive online as well. anyone know the steps/software needed to do this??

·
Registered
364 Posts
i know of two processes.
did a bit of research to see what is possible and how:
http://sketchup.google.com/support/b...n&answer=36203
if you have Google Sketchup Pro, you can export to
* 3DS (.3ds)
* AutoCAD DWG (.dwg)
* AutoCAD DXF (.dxf)
* COLLADA (.dae)
* FBX (.fbx).
* OBJ (.obj)
* XSI (.xsi)
* VRML (.vrml)

and using papervision3d, you can import COLLADA files (.dae) into flash.
so this process goes, export your sketchup Pro 3d models to COLLADA format, then import the 3d models into papervision3d. there is LOTS of tutorials and documentation on how to use papervision, it should take you less than a day's work to get papervision running, add interactivity, and get a nice grip on how the 3d works for flash. then maybe another day tooling around getting the COLLADA files to import.
this should get you started with the importing 3d models part: http://modern-carpentry.com/talk/?p=30

more:
http://www.madvertices.com/
and http://content.madvertices.com/artic.../default.htm#V

second process: export google sketchup directly to web (experimental), not using flash at all.
check out this video

and here is where i got it: http://sketchup.google.com/download/...gsuwebexporter

sorry i can't help you with the specifics of each step since i haven't actually done this from google sketchup before. but there is a few resources out there that can help you. i am really interested in trying this out someday though, it looks cool. if you are really in a pinch, there's a way i can help you directly.

good luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts