Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WHA!!?!?!!!??!?!?!!??!

So I was going to see if they updated the 32bit flash so I could test it in nspluginwrapper but it seems as though they herd our prayers!! I guess Adobe is starting to listen because when I clicked on "download flash player" I got a link asking to test the 64bit beta!

So I guess Adobe wasn't lying and did intend to get this out there quicker than we thought. I guess it also helps that newer studies have shown the Linux scene larger than the Apple scene.... We are growing and getting what we want, very nice!

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Yeah the Square beta is out and within like an hour or two already had an AUR package for us arch users. Personally, I'm still using nspluginwrapper until I've heard more success stories with Square. For some reason Flash takes time to 'mature' and function correctly on my rig.

TFB claims to have been beta testing this for a while and says that it works much better than using 32bit. I might install it first thing when I get home today.

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well it worked here, I just tested out hulu and a couple other sites and everything is fine. =) I just read the post in the news section cause I don't check that normally. =P Though I'm disappointed that it took IE9 to push this... I'm willing to bet IE9 played a huge role even though Linux has wanted this for years.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Yep yep. I betaed this for a while and continue to use it. I think my repos updated what I had to this new version the other day.

I had all sorts of issues with the 32bit plugin on a 64bit system. Weird flash crashes that would take down firefox. Some sound issues if I recall correctly. All the stuff that just makes you groan.

The new plugin isn't perfect but I don't recall flash ever being perfect even on windows 32bit systems. It's a good improvement in my case.

The really odd part is that Adobe said they were going to end 64 bit flash support for Linux so I froze my adobe repo thinking what I had was going to be the best it was going to be. Now they're back and I updated it to what I guess what is the frozen beta. So far, no huge changes but time will tell.

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well this new beta works with all the 10.1 sites such as hulu, I'm super stoked. =) I was originally using the 10.0.45.2 beta, the "last" 10 beta released that I had archived. The problem was it didn't work on Hulu and I was disappointed when they said that the Linux 64bit betas were being dropped. Now all works well and I can watch my Hulu once again!

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFB View Post
Oh man, Hulu works! Awesome. Awesome. AWESOME!
You didn't know? It was working in the 32bit 10.1 and semi-worked with nspluginwrapper... I had found that it also had no OSS support in nspluginwrapper and that's what deterred me from using OSS.... I'm guessing things have changed, lets hope so. =) I want my OSS back!

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mushroomboy
View Post

You didn't know? It was working in the 32bit 10.1 and semi-worked with nspluginwrapper... I had found that it also had no OSS support in nspluginwrapper and that's what deterred me from using OSS.... I'm guessing things have changed, lets hope so. =) I want my OSS back!

No, I seriously didn't. I had written off Hulu a long time ago because it kept saying that it didn't support 64bit flash for Linux. I figured that wouldn't change but it did.

Awesome. No more hunting down shows I missed on questionable sites.

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFB
View Post

No, I seriously didn't. I had written off Hulu a long time ago because it kept saying that it didn't support 64bit flash for Linux. I figured that wouldn't change but it did.

Awesome. No more hunting down shows I missed on questionable sites.

I've got some sites that are worth keeping.

tvplush.com
tvduck.com
free-tv-video-online.info

I keep track of a lot of sites, free-tv-video-online.info is by far the best though.

Oh and it's not that Hulu doesn't support 64bit flash it's that it only supports the latest flash releases. They like to keep up to date, unfortunately if 64bit can't do that... It seems as though it's changed! MMmm I'm super excited.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mushroomboy
View Post

What? I used it fine with OSS it just needed another package from the AUR IIRC. I switched today, and I'm glad I did.

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimi
View Post

What? I used it fine with OSS it just needed another package from the AUR IIRC. I switched today, and I'm glad I did.

You got no sound with 10.1 though and it might not have affected all distro's and versions. I compiled OSS for both Ubuntu and Debian to test nspluginwrapper and 10.1, no sound from either. =( I'm off to compile it again now since it's native. =)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I use browser to what works best i have following installed for programming and Beta testing

Google Crome
Cromium Beta
IE9 32/64
Firefox 3.6 & 3.7Beta
Firefox 64bit
Firefox 4 Beta
i even have them installed on VPC Os's
Live messenger Beta
Windows 7 SP1 Beta
DirectX SDK beta
and more

I use TechNet and MSDN for most of my beta testing

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OSSv4 + 64bit flash = WIN!!!

I'm stoked!!! So after a day of getting rid of some of my Ubuntu packages, they were conflicting with my debian ones.... I got Audacious compiled and OSSv4 compiled! Now I can enjoy high quality sound AND my flash, mmmmmm.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DominionXL View Post
I use browser to what works best i have following installed for programming and Beta testing

Google Crome
Cromium Beta
IE9 32/64
Firefox 3.6 & 3.7Beta
Firefox 64bit
Firefox 4 Beta
i even have them installed on VPC Os's
Live messenger Beta
Windows 7 SP1 Beta
DirectX SDK beta
and more

I use TechNet and MSDN for most of my beta testing
You do realize you're in the Linux section, right?

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
Yeah there has been beta 64bit flash support for a good 2-3 years now. Even though it was beta I never had issues with it.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dangerousHobo View Post
Yeah there has been beta 64bit flash support for a good 2-3 years now. Even though it was beta I never had issues with it.
*hugs* don't leave.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts