Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi people,

Just throwing a question out there: has anyone done such a flash? (Gigabyte 3060 to Zotac 3060). I'm building a rig for a friend, and I might be the only dude legitimately is trying to flash a 3060 for gaming performance increase.

The Zotac is limited to 187W, despite having an 8 pin connector (150W connector, plus 75W from the pcie slot, for a total of 225W power). So far, the single 8 pin RTX 3060 card that I found with the highest max power is from Gigabyte, at 212W, which is a good 13+% above the maximum power draw of the Zotac.

But, before doing it: anyone did it already? (kind of want to prevent any troubles to my friend, but he wants the most out of his card)

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
20,325 Posts
This is not time to mess around with GPU's BIOSES.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is not time to mess around with GPU's BIOSES.
Worst case scenario (Nvidia locking the GPUs with drivers), you flash back to the stock bios (which any same person saves beforehand). Given that Nvidia aims at hashing, I'm not concerned, this is for gaming.

I just don't want to brick the card with a bios that doesn't match.

·
Premium Member
20,325 Posts
Worst case scenario (Nvidia locking the GPUs with drivers), you flash back to the stock bios (which any same person saves beforehand). Given that Nvidia aims at hashing, I'm not concerned, this is for gaming.

There is always risk even with the right BIOS. Now, is your 'friend' willing to take that risk or are you the one deciding for the friend?

Anyways, disregard what i suggested. Seems like 3060 are easier to come by.

Increase in performance might be found elsewhere in the system. What cpu and ram are we talking about here?

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I’ve flashed 5 different unverified bioses from Techpowerup onto my 3060 Laptop GPU and each one worked. Some improved performance.

·
Premium Member
20,325 Posts
I’ve flashed 5 different unverified bioses from Techpowerup onto my 3060 Laptop GPU and each one worked. Some improved performance.
I have successfully flashed BIOSES in the past. That was when components were reasonably priced. Flashing is easy but there is always a chance of bricking the card. But 3060s are abundant and cheap.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I have successfully flashed BIOSES in the past. That was when components were reasonably priced. Flashing is easy but there is always a chance of bricking the card. But 3060s are abundant and cheap.
True, this is just a throwaway 3060 laptop. The 2nd Vega GPU is what makes flashing easy. If i load a bad bios on the 3060, it automatically boots on the Vega8.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There is always risk even with the right BIOS. Now, is your 'friend' willing to take that risk or are you the one deciding for the friend?

Anyways, disregard what i suggested. Seems like 3060 are easier to come by.

Increase in performance might be found elsewhere in the system. What cpu and ram are we talking about here?
I don't know why you put the quotation marks around friend, but, the answer is simple: he wants the best performance for the dollar he can (running on a delided 6700K OCed to 4.7GHz, and memory at 3600MHz CL16). The only headroom left in his system is the GPU, I'll overclock the snout out of it, but, if the available power limits the OC... Bios flash has been explained to him. It's just that there is NO reports of it out there, but for miners and laptop 3060s... Which doesn't interest me in this case.

·
Premium Member
20,325 Posts
I don't know why you put the quotation marks around friend, but, the answer is simple: he wants the best performance for the dollar he can (running on a delided 6700K OCed to 4.7GHz, and memory at 3600MHz CL16). The only headroom left in his system is the GPU, I'll overclock the snout out of it, but, if the available power limits the OC... Bios flash has been explained to him. It's just that there is NO reports of it out there, but for miners and laptop 3060s... Which doesn't interest me in this case.
That 6700 can't do any higher? Might want to check the usage. If it is a well threaded game that might be the culprit.

·
Overclocked
3,944 Posts
That 6700 can't do any higher? Might want to check the usage. If it is a well threaded game that might be the culprit.

Not to derail the OPs thread any further. But there is no proof that this guy owns the hardware in that video, he also didn't mention which mobo and ram he is using nor the cpu speeds he is running at. These benchmarks credibility is questionable.

·
Premium Member
20,325 Posts
Not to derail the OPs thread any further. But there is no proof that this guy owns the hardware in that video, he also didn't mention which mobo and ram he is using nor the cpu speeds he is running at. These benchmarks credibility is questionable.
No not at all. That is a legit assumption.

OP, forget that i ever chimed in. Go ahead with your plan.

• Rep+
Reactions: HeadlessKnight

·
Registered
980 Posts

If the memory brand, output ports, and power connectors match, then you're pretty unlikely to brick the card. I understand people like rdr09 are scared by the idea of bios flashing but isn't this overclock.net? Nvidia cards are deliberately power starved from factory and increasing the board power limit almost always improves boost clock stability if nothing else.

·
Premium Member
20,325 Posts
If the memory brand, output ports, and power connectors match, then you're pretty unlikely to brick the card. I understand people like rdr09 are scared by the idea of bios flashing but isn't this overclock.net? Nvidia cards are deliberately power starved from factory and increasing the board power limit almost always improves boost clock stability if nothing else.
Like i said, i have flashed cards before. My cards. Not a friend's card. I was just making sure it isn't another component that is holding back performance.

Go for it.

·
Overclocked
3,944 Posts
No not at all. That is a legit assumption.

OP, forget that i ever chimed in. Go ahead with your plan.
I am not saying you were right or wrong. I am just pointing out that potentially fake benchmark.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts