Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by shermstix

Download Rivatuner and unlock your pipelines that way. Then if you get artifacting, you can always turn off the pipelines without having to reflash the card. If you do unlock the pipelines and it works, I would then say it is safe to get the 9800XT BIOS and flash. You will probably need some better cooling though.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I just ordered the Artic Rev. 3 and some ramsinks. Does the Rivatuner have documentation on how to unlock my pipelines? After unlocking my piplines, should I use ATI Tool to check for artifacts or does Rivatuner provide this feature? I'm new to tweaking. Thank for the help.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by simonsez

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I just ordered the Artic Rev. 3 and some ramsinks. Does the Rivatuner have documentation on how to unlock my pipelines? After unlocking my piplines, should I use ATI Tool to check for artifacts or does Rivatuner provide this feature? I'm new to tweaking. Thank for the help.

Make sure you read the Readme file that comes with the download. It will have all of the details. To check for artifacting, you should get 3Dmark'03 and run it. You will know when you get artifacting. It will look like streaks or blocks flying all over the screen. Can't miss it at all. I am not sure if you have RAM on the back of your card, but if you don't, the Arctic Silencer has RAM heat spreaders built into it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Make sure you read the Readme file that comes with the download. It will have all of the details. To check for artifacting, you should get 3Dmark'03 and run it. You will know when you get artifacting. It will look like streaks or blocks flying all over the screen. Can't miss it at all. I am not sure if you have RAM on the back of your card, but if you don't, the Arctic Silencer has RAM heat spreaders built into it.

Just found out by looking at my card, that it's an ATI 9600 PRO 256 r350 and not a 9800. I can't find anything on the RivaTuner that refers to "Pipelines". Could you explain exactly where I would find this in the software?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Quote:

Just found out by looking at my card, that it's an ATI 9600 PRO 256 r350 and not a 9800. I can't find anything on the RivaTuner that refers to "Pipelines". Could you explain exactly where I would find this in the software?

The 9600 Pro has no extra pipelines. Sorry but there is nothing to unlock. The only thing that you would have success with is OC'ing it to XT speeds, which can be done with good cooling and ATI tool. The Riva tuner will only work on cards that have locked pipelines. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

The 9600 Pro has no extra pipelines. Sorry but there is nothing to unlock. The only thing that you would have success with is OC'ing it to XT speeds, which can be done with good cooling and ATI tool. The Riva tuner will only work on cards that have locked pipelines. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Darn, well thanks sooooo much for your help shermstix. Especially taking to time to answer my tedious questions.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Quote:

Darn, well thanks sooooo much for your help shermstix. Especially taking to time to answer my tedious questions.

No Prob, that's what were here for. If you decide to get some better cooling ($30) and overclock, post back, I can walk you through everything.

REPS for those who are helpful.......

·
Registered
133 Posts
Quote:

How would I go about flashing my 9800 Pro 256 to the XT? Thanks in advance.

The 9600 Pro and 9800 Pro (to my knowledge) has a different core r350 from 9600 XT and 9800 XT (r360). So I think, you wont be able to flash from Pro to XT.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just received my Artic Cool Rev. 3. I've attached it and running fine. I have ATI Tool and ATI Tray Tool. Can you walk me through the OC process?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Here is a site that gives a nice screenshot. What you need to do is click on the button that says "detect max core" and "detectmax mem". Those will tell you what the best settings are to run your card at, then it will test them to make sure they run properly. Once it does it for you make sure you click save at the top and you will be off and running.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I actually found the ATI Tool Tray is all I need to Overclock and set my AI. It's really a good round tool for OC. Very simple to use and stays overclocked.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
^^Exactly. The ATI tool is all you need, unless you are trying to unlock the pipes, which is why I suggested RivaTuner in the first place. Once you found out you had a 9600 instead of a 9800, that made RivaTuner useless since the 9600 has no locked pipelines. How much of an increase did you get from OC'ing?? Can you get your core and mem up to 9600XT speeds (500/600)??

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

^^Exactly. The ATI tool is all you need, unless you are trying to unlock the pipes, which is why I suggested RivaTuner in the first place. Once you found out you had a 9600 instead of a 9800, that made RivaTuner useless since the 9600 has no locked pipelines. How much of an increase did you get from OC'ing?? Can you get your core and mem up to 9600XT speeds (500/600)??

Actually, I wasn't able to hit that high. Wow 500/600!!! Mine could only get to about 440/340 I think. I'm at work so that's just from my vague memory. But it was around there.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Quote:

Actually, I wasn't able to hit that high. Wow 500/600!!! Mine could only get to about 440/340 I think. I'm at work so that's just from my vague memory. But it was around there.

Those aren't bad numbers. The 9600XT is actually a different core, so I didn't really expect you to hit those numbers. 340 is actually half of your actual number. Remember that those cards use DDR, so the reported speed actually needs to be doubled! So if you are correct, you would actually be running 440/680, which is pretty nice. Congrats.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts