Overclock.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok I don't think I have my boot floppy disk set up right...
I've never actually MADE a boot disk before...............
But here's whats on the floppy:

1.)FLASHROM.EXE
2.)FLASHROM.CHG
3.)FLASHROM.ROM
4.)x850pro.bin (original for backup)
5.)x850xtpe.bin (my gateway to heaven)

When I try to boot with it (F8 after restart on my motherboard's screen), it says it's not valid... there must be something clear and obvious that I'm not doing, I just don't know what it is lol.
Help me the n00b plz?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shikakapoop

ok I don't think I have my boot floppy disk set up right...
I've never actually MADE a boot disk before...............
But here's whats on the floppy:

1.)FLASHROM.EXE
2.)FLASHROM.CHG
3.)FLASHROM.ROM
4.)x850pro.bin (original for backup)
5.)x850xtpe.bin (my gateway to heaven)

When I try to boot with it (F8 after restart on my motherboard's screen), it says it's not valid... there must be something clear and obvious that I'm not doing, I just don't know what it is lol.
Help me the n00b plz?

Ok, I figured out how to boot.

I booted from the floppy which contained all of the above. Once in DOS I ran the command "flashrom -f -p 0 x850xtpe.bin". It sat for a second then beeped a bunch as in victory and was complete.
Here's where it gets... weird.
I restart my computer. The screen remains black, the fans on my cpu start running at what sounds like full speed and do not stop, and, what I use as reference to see if my computers on, my saitek keyboard doesn't light up. I don't understand. I KNOW I didn't install the wrong bios, and I KNOW my card is an x850 pro vivo, so??... I'm sad.

I guess I'll have to get a cheap pci video card to flash my x850 back to normal? Or can you guys give me an alternative?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shikakapoop

Ok, I figured out how to boot.

I booted from the floppy which contained all of the above. Once in DOS I ran the command "flashrom -f -p 0 x850xtpe.bin". It sat for a second then beeped a bunch as in victory and was complete.
Here's where it gets... weird.
I restart my computer. The screen remains black, the fans on my cpu start running at what sounds like full speed and do not stop, and, what I use as reference to see if my computers on, my saitek keyboard doesn't light up. I don't understand. I KNOW I didn't install the wrong bios, and I KNOW my card is an x850 pro vivo, so??... I'm sad.

I guess I'll have to get a cheap pci video card to flash my x850 back to normal? Or can you guys give me an alternative?

I got help. Turns out I flashed the pci-e version of the bios onto my AGP card. Nice. If I'm able to flash it back, I'll let you guys know.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ahahaaaa YES.

Flashing it didn't work, they were never able to flash it back.
So I returned it to compusa. Luckily I had only had it for 17 days (hehe) and the return limit is 21 days, so they took it back in exchange for store credit. Lucky me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.