Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I have two GTX295's and some Koolance waterblocks. These are the dual PCB cards and the blocks made for them.

Which is best parallel or series? And which is which (lol) is series where the flow goes through the cards and exits without cycling back through them..?

A little confused how that works. So yea I'd like to know which way is best and how it's setup.

hope thats makes sense.. thx.

·
Banned
2,821 Posts
Series: water ---> 295---> 295--->

Parallel:
295------------->
|
|
water---> 295--->

IDK what you mean about "cycling back" but all waterloops have a cycle.
Parallel means a pressure drop on both cards since you divide the water in half by splitting the routes.

The good thing about parallel though is that you get the coldest water on both cards compared to series where the water gets a bit hotter after the first GPU has taken a dump in it.
My 4850x2 runs on one loop, in series, with two MCW60's and the second GPU runs about 2C hotter than the first. Not that much big a deal either since both run alot colder than with the stock air coolers.

Do not split routes unless you have a good pump(D5, 18W DDC) and the loop is fairly simple. Too much flow-loss otherwise IMO.

What else are you incorporating in your WC setup?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I agree, I think running GPU's in series (one after the other) is a much more efficient and popular way to run GPU WB's. The problem with running any WB in a parallel configuration (both together at the same time) is water will take the path of least resistance and if there's a huge difference in resistance then one block will starve the other block by hogging all the cooler water.

Although I can see where both WB's in a series would recieve unwarmed water I don't think we're talkin' that much difference in temperature

The above is only my opinion after reading several articles by experienced, long time, successful water coolers (credible
)

·
Banned
2,821 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jws2346 View Post
I agree, I think running GPU's in series (one after the other) is a much more efficient and popular way to run GPU WB's. The problem with running any WB in a parallel configuration (both together at the same time) is water will take the path of least resistance and if there's a huge difference in resistance then one block will starve the other block by hogging all the cooler water.

Although I can see where both WB's in a series would recieve unwarmed water I don't think we're talkin' that much difference in temperature

The above is only my opinion after reading several articles by experienced, long time, successful water coolers (credible
)
The restriction unbalance-issue after the blocks would be eliminated if a Y-connector is installed directly after the blocks.

No, not really that much difference in temps from one card to the other if they're on single GPU cards(or like my 2xMCW60 blocks on one card) but the GTX295 would dump a bit more though since they're 2GPU cards. I'd guess maybe a 3-5C increase from the first to the second card. Not that bad altogether though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts