Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

So I had a little trouble with my HDD today. My PC froze, then I have restarted it and the HDD wasn't recognized during the POST, therefore I couldn't load Windows.

But it's not a big deal since a stuff like that happens to my PC time to time. I fix it by unplugging and plugging back the HDD SATA cable. Then I also do a BIOS reset, just in case.

After a whole this procedure, everything went fine as usual, except one thing - a folder containing some music, which is located right on my desktop, just disappeared. I have never experienced anything like that in my whole life)

And the thing is that it can be located by using the Windows search - it shows that it is still on my desktop, and I can even see all the files inside the folder. BUT I cannot access them.

For all the details I have attached a picture so you can see everything by yourselves.

Looking forward for any help please

·
Windows Wrangler
2,223 Posts
Sounds like some good old NTFS database corruption caused by the untimely loss of power. Execute the following steps to attempt to retrieve your files:

1. Click the Windows/Start button and type "cmd".
  2. Right-click the cmd or Command Prompt result and click Run as Administrator.
  3. Type the following command and press [Enter]: chkdsk C: /f /v /x
  4. Confirm that you wish to schedule a disk check by pressing [Y] and [Enter].
  5. Reboot your PC and let it scan when the skip prompt appears during boot.
Hopefully, that folder will have reappeared on your desktop after this completes. If not, open Windows Explorer and look for a "found.000" folder (or the like) on the root of your C: drive. It may be hidden, so you'll need to enable viewing hidden files and folders in Folder Options. Invariably, objects in this folder have generic names, like "file001.chk" and so on. If so, and their sizes look about right, try renaming one (add ".mp3" to its filename), and then see if it plays.

If you still turn up empty handed (or only have partial success), download, install, and launch Piriform Recuva. When it starts, close out of the wizard. Click [Options] and go to the Actions tab. Tick the last two options (Scan for non-deleted and Restore folder structure), and click [OK]. Back in the main window, your C: drive should already be selected, so click [Scan]. Once it finishes scanning, click the Path column header to sort the results by path. Scroll down to the pertinent "C:\Users\" section and look for your files. If you find them, you can select the entire group by clicking the first file, holding [Shift] down, and clicking the last file. Once the files are selected, right-click them and click Recover highlighted... Be sure to save them to another storage device (e.g. a USB drive, or different HDD or partition) so as not to inadvertently overwrite them during recovery. Once recovery is complete, you can safely move them back to your desktop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts