733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #303 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by derickwm View Post

@hertz9753 and @tmontney I have no issues with you taking it over
smile.gif
drunken.gif
Awesome, thanks man.

Oh, I didn't realize you could actually transfer thread ownership. That's pretty neat.

·
I Can Change This???
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #307 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by btupsx View Post

Looking forward to it, and appreciate the time and effort you've put into resurrecting the database.
Thanks man. I'm really excited to deploy it. I'll be working on it for a time, and go "man I can deploy it right n- oh wait I can't". Really wish I could host sites from my current house
rolleyes.gif

·
Looking Ahead
13,043 Posts
I am actually also running a CPU PPD database :p, but no one submitted for over a year or so.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1308319/smp-projects-ppd-database

You can also copy the data and add it to your SQL database though.

Just a bit of advice. It might be better to organize the projects vertically, since there are a lot of them.

Also, I never quite succeeded in creating automatically updating (interactive) charts/graphs. That would be a cool feature.

·
I Can Change This???
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #310 ·
Huh, I can't believe the entire time I hadn't thought of it that way. My biggest issue was trying to manage all the possible columns. The only difference here is there will be a lot more rows, but that's probably how it should be. I'll see how doing it like your arrangement works out.

Charts would be really cool. What kind of charts though?

Edit: Application and website are row-oriented (instead of column-oriented).

·
Looking Ahead
13,043 Posts
Well, some things I could think of are average PPD per processor, project and I guess power consumption and dollar.

The latter two are more difficullt to pull off since you would need to have some kind of source which calculates average price based on current market prices and estimate power consumption based on overclock (and I guess voltage).

There are some estimations I can think of for power consumption, but I think it would be best to ask someone like Wizzard over at TPU forums (the author of GPU-z and namely the the function for ASIC quality). I think you could find him in the GPU-z subforum at TPU.

There are a lot of things you can do with a web based database and I think that after running simple Google Spreadsheet based ones for a couple of years the best advice I could give you are:

Keep names consistent (some people will write "core i7 2600K", others "i7-2600K" others "[email protected]", "I7 2600K") it's not as neat and would make automatic detection a lot more difficult. Maybe create a list and add a dropdown menu for the GUI.

Add sufficient variables (RAM speed, vcore, Fahcore version, optimization techniques, flags used in the client) but not too much. The database will be much more interesting the more factors you include. You don't necessarily need to display everything that gets submitted by text, but you can always unleash statistics on it at a later stage and present it in a different way. Just make sure the data is formatted consistent again (not "2893MHz" and "2.893GHz" but only one of them)

Conversely, when you add too many factors people would go "ain't nobody got time fo' dat" or find it too tedious to fill in and that will lead to less submissions or submissions from only a select group of people.

That's what I can think of from the top of my head
tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
11,941 Posts

·
I Can Change This???
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #313 ·

·
Premium Member
11,941 Posts
Go back to post 311 on this thread.

·
PC Cannibal
10,294 Posts
Trying to calculate an average on my 5930k now (just total 24-48hr PPD), past few days it's been av. @ 71-75k PPD but I'm still tweaking clocks on the CPU and memory (right now is at 2400), also there's a variance on what flags I set in advanced aas well as what I set per slot (ie: advanced, next unit %, etc)

·
Premium Member
11,452 Posts
3rd paragraph.

301 - 320 of 320 Posts