Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 320 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikecdm View Post
I added my i5 750. The ppd really averages between 7500ppd and 8k depending on what the gpu is doing. If the gpu is working on an 1888, cpu ppd will go up. If it's working on a 787, cpu ppd will go down.

This is also using one VM utilizing all 4 cores.
That's interesting and I would like to hear some opinions as to why that would be. The GPU is supposed to handle it discretely, isn't it?

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
If he's running the SMP on alll cores/threads the GPU at times will task the CPU resources. I'm guessing depending on the WU some task harder than others. This is especially true since I'm going to almost rightly assume that his GPU has slight higher priority than his CPU.

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
I believe it comes down how much cpu usage the gpu client needs. My cpu is running 100% load. The gpu is currently working on an 1888 pt wu and the task manager shows between 0-2% cpu usage. On some of the other wu's, I have seen it higher, maybe 4-5%. That could possibly be the reason as to why it drops depending on the gpu wu.

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
I'm surprised the GPU performance took preference. Normally with VMwares, the GPU PPD drops and the VMware gets priority.

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
It's really working out well, I thought that I was going to have to fold on 3 cores so that the gpu wouldn't take a huge hit. It turns out that it only took a 200-300ppd hit on a 353 and the cpu takes a 500ppd hit in certain situations. A lot better than the 2-3k hit I was expecting on the gpu.

·
Senior Overclocker
5,078 Posts
I was using Notfred's client (still am) when core 2.08 was running, getting between 5600-6000 PPD depending on how much I used my PC.
Right now, with this CRAP core 2.10 I can only run 2 cores so I dont starve my GPU and make windows laggy, getting ~ half of what I used to get, 2800- 3000 PPD

·
Premium Member
5,030 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jtfire55 View Post
i dont know if this is happening to everyone, but the info in the google spreadsheet is getting clipped. can you please fix this?
What do you mean clipped? Sometimes I edit the spreadsheet to fix submissions or move the AMD processors to their sheet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grishkathefool View Post
That's interesting and I would like to hear some opinions as to why that would be. The GPU is supposed to handle it discretely, isn't it?
Well, this is just like the HD when saving data. It uses very little CPU power, but still uses it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cryptedvick View Post
I was using Notfred's client (still am) when core 2.08 was running, getting between 5600-6000 PPD depending on how much I used my PC.
Right now, with this CRAP core 2.10 I can only run 2 cores so I dont starve my GPU and make windows laggy, getting ~ half of what I used to get, 2800- 3000 PPD
At least you can run VMWare. I can't with this E5200.

What OS are you using? Vista?

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
So could it be that my GPU2 performance isn't all that it could be because I am running SMP at 100%?

·
Premium Member
5,030 Posts
Quote:

So could it be that my GPU2 performance isn't all that it could be because I am running SMP at 100%?
Could be, though I think if you set the GPU2 priority to low and SMP to idle I doubt this would happen. Try setting SMP to 90% and see if that increases your GPU2 PPD at all.

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Quote:

That has happened to me in the past. I tried using an E8400 with the gtx 260 and both the gpu and cpu took a hit. I was better off just folding with the gtx 260 rather than both fold and get the same ppd.

On my 550be x4, I had two vm running with the gtx 260 and the same thing happened. I'd get the same ppd if I was running only 1 vm on two cores and left the other two cores for the gpu.

This is the only time that my gtx 260 hasn't taken a huge hit when folding the cpu 100%.

I have always set the priority higher on the gpu and tried a variety of things. This time around I didn't do anything. I just left the gpu2 client working as is and did the same for the smp.

·
Premium Member
5,030 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikecdm
View Post

That has happened to me in the past. I tried using an E8400 with the gtx 260 and both the gpu and cpu took a hit. I was better off just folding with the gtx 260 rather than both fold and get the same ppd.

On my 550be x4, I had two vm running with the gtx 260 and the same thing happened. I'd get the same ppd if I was running only 1 vm on two cores and left the other two cores for the gpu.

This is the only time that my gtx 260 hasn't taken a huge hit when folding the cpu 100%.

I have always set the priority higher on the gpu and tried a variety of things. This time around I didn't do anything. I just left the gpu2 client working as is and did the same for the smp.

Try setting SMP to idle and GPU2 to low and you just might get even more PPD!

·
Banned
925 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nolonger
View Post

What do you mean clipped? Sometimes I edit the spreadsheet to fix submissions or move the AMD processors to their sheet.

Well, this is just like the HD when saving data. It uses very little CPU power, but still uses it.

At least you can run VMWare. I can't with this E5200.

What OS are you using? Vista?

nvm its just my other computer.

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
well, i checked my configurations. SMP was already set to 90% and GPU2 is set to Lowest Priority and is at ~95%. FaHmon is showing a combined 7280ppd for the WU's they are currently working on.

·
Premium Member
5,030 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by grishkathefool
View Post

well, i checked my configurations. SMP was already set to 90% and GPU2 is set to Lowest Priority and is at ~95%. FaHmon is showing a combined 7280ppd for the WU's they are currently working on.

Set GPU2 to 100% and low priority instead of idle. That should boost your PPD some, unless you're not getting bottlenecked by the processor.

·
Premium Member
3,285 Posts
I have another question for you. On my old Barton machine, I am running the standard XP CPU client for a few hundred extra ppd. It is on my Home Network. Is there a way to get the FaHmon on THIS machine to see that?

·
Premium Member
5,030 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by grishkathefool
View Post

I have another question for you. On my old Barton machine, I am running the standard XP CPU client for a few hundred extra ppd. It is on my Home Network. Is there a way to get the FaHmon on THIS machine to see that?

Just tell FahMonitor where the CPU client is on the network. You should be able to navigate to the folder.

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
Some of the results are skewed.

Like they are only taking the PPD of one notfred client which at this time only utilizes 2 cores, so on a phenom II X4 @ 1800 PPD is actually double that. (I know im running one right now)

If your only going to bench on half your CPU then dont post it. Im waiting till the beta version of VMware player is out so that I can do proper PPD bencies on all 4 cores.

·
Premium Member
2,659 Posts
Make sure you have the permissions and sharing set up to the directory as well. Then you can use a command like \\\\{computer name}\\{location of work folder}. For example on Vista for my laptop it's \\\\{Comp Name}\\Users\\{User Name}\\AppData]Roaming\\{folding directory} to locate it. It just depends on the file path to your work folder.

·
Premium Member
8,196 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MAD_J View Post
Some of the results are skewed.

Like they are only taking the PPD of one notfred client which at this time only utilizes 2 cores, so on a phenom II X4 @ 1800 PPD is actually double that. (I know im running one right now)

If your only going to bench on half your CPU then dont post it. Im waiting till the beta version of VMware player is out so that I can do proper PPD bencies on all 4 cores.
I have a thread on it, that's how I'm using all 4 cores of my i5 750 and getting 8K ppd with just one instance of VMware.

21 - 40 of 320 Posts