Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally decided to start folding but it's too confusing.

I'm not sure if I should run SMP or GPU2. My friend says GPU2 but some other people are saying SMP.

I can keep my rig running 24/7 but I game a lot during the day (3 pm to midnight)

Secondly, how do I get SMP or GPU2 to work, there are like 10 .exes

Thirdly, how do I get the postbit for folding on OCN

·
Registered
214 Posts
I want to respond with the ending to the coolface comics (**** of here.)

You'll definitely want to run GPU2 because that 9600 GT could pull quite some PPD, and if you fold with the GPU then the CPU will be left alone, and you can still browse and do other things not graphic related.

I can run GPU2 + Warhammer and still get 60 fps or so, but it stutters a bit.. I guess that was unrelated. Just in my opinion your GPU will do more processing than your CPU, surprisingly.

·
Premium Member
6,125 Posts

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I run both, the GPU2 and SMP (@ 80%) clients. When I game I simply shutdown the SMP client and pause the GPU2 client. Other than that I leave them both running while doing other activities and rarely see slow down because of it.

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
i told you already.

and make sure you register your proper nick and use ocn as our team

• Rep+
Reactions: Bartmasta

·
Banned
3,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its command line

ok got the gpu thing working but is cpu usage supposed to be near 0 while gpu usage is high

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Silent Nemesis View Post
You'll definitely want to run GPU2 because that 9600 GT could pull quite some PPD, and if you fold with the GPU then the CPU will be left alone, and you can still browse and do other things not graphic related.
Even at 100% folding with the GPU, at least with the HD4870, I can still browse around online and all. No interference.

So those hanging around OCN, donate your GPU cycles. You can post and grind at once.

The good thing is GPU grinding leaves your procs available to do other things -- listening to music, etc..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts