Overclock.net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm returning to school (night school) in about 6 months and I need to get a laptop. I want a full featured laptop (not a netbook) in a 12-14 inch form factor.

When shopping around, are there any graphics chips in laptops that are decent at folding? Can any laptops be used with the GPU folding client? I figure if I can get a laptop with a nice GPU I can fold with it while I am at work and use it for notes, etc. in the evenings. The biggest plus is I can run it 8 or 9 hours a day on my work's dime, not mine...

Any thoughts, suggestions? I'm planning on waiting for another 6 months or so before purchasing (we all know how quickly these things evolve and change).

Finally, price is not an issue as long as it is under 2 grand.

·
Premium Member
11,541 Posts
I usually don't fold on my laptop, mainly because I use it while on battery often. In the 12-14in you probably won't be able to get a "gaming" integrated graphics so your folding would be limited to CPU.

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
I have run GPU folding on my laptop. The biggest issue I have found is that laptops are realy not designed to move heat away from the GPU all to well. I does work fine, it just heats up, and may shorten the life of your laptop if it overheats.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd leave it plugged in all day at work, so power shouldn't be an issue...I found a 13" ASUS with a 4570 mobile gpu...that wouldn't be so bad, probably 1500 ppd or so.

·
Registered
176 Posts
its possible, but not really worth it
i tried it on my 8600m GS and i was getting like 40nc/s or some tiny unit
but the gpu temp was at 93 degrees celsius soo...

·
Banned
880 Posts
To be honest is it really worth it buying all the new stuff just to fold? Why not use that money on a better investment.

·
Premium Member
6,174 Posts
I would fold on my laptop, but like somebody said, it's the constant heat that will slowly but surely suffocate my laptop to death.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by uNeec
View Post

To be honest is it really worth it buying all the new stuff just to fold? Why not use that money on a better investment.

I've got to buy a laptop anyways...might as well pay a little more for the ability to fold and do more graphically intensive work.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I have a core 2 duo mobile @ 2.17ghz
ppd on full load? 200. no joke, laptops are just poor at folding.

·
OG OC
2,232 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by retrogamer1990 View Post
I have a core 2 duo mobile @ 2.17ghz
ppd on full load? 200. no joke, laptops are just poor at folding.
Have you tried folding with linux on vmware?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rex922 View Post
only do cpu folding
laptops heat up too fast for gpu folding
Depends on the laptop. I can get between 3600 and 4500 PPD with my laptop, and it doesn't overheat. Now I'm not saying that this is true for average laptops, but if you know what you're doing and plan for it, it can still be worth it. I devised my own cooling option with mine, and it actually runs cooler than my desktop when folding. That being said, I haven't folded with it for a while, just because I haven't really needed to.

I have an Alienware M9750 with two 8700m GT cards in it. I took the bottom panel off and have it sitting on a two fan laptop cooler whenever I'm not mobile with it. It idles at 44 (was 60) and full load is ~65 (was ~80). GPU temps never get over 70 folding, and this is waaaaaay overclocked. Yes, I OCd my laptop GPUs...are you kidding me? That's what I do... I can play L4D at a framerate you wouldn't believe on a laptop...

Awesome? Yes. Worth it? No.
You don't want to know what it cost when I bought it a year ago.

BTW, it has the so-called bad GPUs (from INQ, G84 chip) and have never had a problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts