Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at the new GTX 4**M series and I was wondering if anyone has a laptop with one of the mobile Fermi chips and also if they would be able to run the GPU3 client.

Also if anyone folds on a laptop could you post your specs, CPU+GPU and your PPD.

·
Banned
2,667 Posts
i7 laptop should be pretty good to fold on

anything else would be a waste

i know my sisters i5 only gets 5 k or so,not even worth it =/

can't say much about gpu

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rud3Bwoy View Post

can't say much about gpu
Yeah thats what I thought.

I had my eye on this: Sager np7280/Clevo x7200l

i7 950 + SLI GTX480M's (which I hear are like undervolted GTX 460's)

5k PPD... wayyy more than I'm getting
I get around 180-90 on a P4M and 240-320 on a t4300 with -SMP

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
That's a nice little funnel mod.

I may be doing something along those lines, but I need to find an extraction blower.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick911 View Post
If you were to do this, please remove the old TIM on the gpu and CPU with higher end TIM to ensure the longevity of your product. I did it to a mac book and drooped it by 15C. I did it on my laptop and droped it by 10c.
Thats what I going to do next... The temps this thing was getting worried with 85C+ load temps.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gen View Post
Here is my 360M doing ~4000 PPD

Edit: Temps was getting up to 85C before the laptops fan kicked on full bore. Now temps are at 70C

Thanks now I know that the mobile GPU's can fold well enough
I like that fan tunnel. Whats powering it? (looks lot cleaner looking than my old AT PSU and 4 case fans)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick911 View Post
If you were to do this, please remove the old TIM on the gpu and CPU with higher end TIM to ensure the longevity of your product. I did it to a mac book and drooped it by 15C. I did it on my laptop and droped it by 10c.

Quote:

Thats what I going to do next... The temps this thing was getting worried with 85C+ load temps.
I'm thinking of doing the same to mine... would any old TIM work? I'm thinking of picking up a tube of AS5 from a brick an' mortar, my old ThinkPad is @ 85C (makes some nice popcorn though
)

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Quote:

can't say much about gpu
Did you setup SMP to run on 4 cores? My i5 laptop has HT and I was wondering what kind of ppd I would get, but I have a 5650, as from what I understand ATI cards are worthless folding wise.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Infinitegrim View Post
Did you setup SMP to run on 4 cores? My i5 laptop has HT and I was wondering what kind of ppd I would get, but I have a 5650, as from what I understand ATI cards are worthless folding wise.
I don't think that HT has any effect on folding. Since the 2 physical cores are at full load and theres no overhead for the 2 virtual cores. (I might be wrong). ATI isn't "worthless" they just don't fold as well as nVidia's
, think you could try the GPU2 client on it and post your PPD?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by emc_2 View Post
Thanks now I know that the mobile GPU's can fold well enough
I like that fan tunnel. Whats powering it? (looks lot cleaner looking than my old AT PSU and 4 case fans)
Yea, I was surprised about the PPD. At stock the 360M was getting 3600-3700 PPD and overclocked to 644\\1550 I was just under 4000. This was with a 787 pointer.

That power supply is just an idec 15W 120VAC to 12VDC. Its what I use to power my pump when priming my water loop.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by emc_2
View Post

I don't think that HT has any effect on folding. Since the 2 physical cores are at full load and theres no overhead for the 2 virtual cores. (I might be wrong). ATI isn't "worthless" they just don't fold as well as nVidia's
, think you could try the GPU2 client on it and post your PPD?

Hyper threading allows for two threads per core which drastically helps folding. My new i7 xeon which has four cores plus HT, it was getting 3-5000ppd, I set it to use 8 cores instead of 4 and it now gets 8500-10,000ppd at 2.67Ghz

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Infinitegrim
View Post

Hyper threading allows for two threads per core which drastically helps folding. My new i7 xeon which has four cores plus HT, it was getting 3-5000ppd, I set it to use 8 cores instead of 4 and it now gets 8500-10,000ppd at 2.67Ghz

Wow! (files away for future reference)

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Infinitegrim
View Post

Put that Xeon around 4Ghz and you'll be getting up to 30k ppd if you're using -bigadv.

·
Premium Member
8,679 Posts
Quote:

can't say much about gpu
5k is totally worth it to me

I get ~5k from all of my rigs @ work combined

Quote:

Originally Posted by emc_2 View Post
Yeah thats what I thought.

I had my eye on this: Sager np7280/Clevo x7200l

i7 950 + SLI GTX480M's (which I hear are like undervolted GTX 460's)

5k PPD... wayyy more than I'm getting
I get around 180-90 on a P4M and 240-320 on a t4300 with -SMP
The T4300 should be 1k+

Quote:

Here is my 360M doing ~4000 PPD

Edit: Temps was getting up to 85C before the laptops fan kicked on full bore. Now temps are at 70C

Nice!

Quote:

Yea, I was surprised about the PPD. At stock the 360M was getting 3600-3700 PPD and overclocked to 644\\1550 I was just under 4000. This was with a 787 pointer.

That power supply is just an idec 15W 120VAC to 12VDC. Its what I use to power my pump when priming my water loop.
That's pretty good for a laptop, over twice what the C2D in my laptop does

Quote:

As soon as my cooler comes from ewiz, i ordered it last wed and it wont come until wed, their shipping sucks.

Do I just as -bigadv right after -spm8 ?
Sure thing

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
Quote:

As soon as my cooler comes from ewiz, i ordered it last wed and it wont come until wed, their shipping sucks.

Do I just as -bigadv right after -spm8 ?
Yes. And don't forget to spell -smp correctly.

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
Just like has been mentioned keep an eye on temp! I was folding on a Laptop (2 core - about 2K PPD) but the temps got over 95*c... I need to get a laptop cooling table and possibly try it again, not sure if I want to crack the thing open and replace TIM... wonder if you can upgrade Laptop fans though? HP Tablet TX2 I belive...

Since the laptops are low power consumers they get really good PPD/Watts used ratio.

·
Premium Member
8,679 Posts
I've found that HPs and Macs typically get the hottest. Dells and Lenovo/IBMs usually are fine though

1 - 20 of 22 Posts