Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, I couldn't find too much information on this. So let me describe my situation first

Main rig is in the living room, used by my brother and I. Won't be gaming too much until Starcraft II and Diablo III come out, but I'll be getting a 9800gx2 and a PhII 940 sometime next week. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, and using 2 (4 total) separate user accounts on the same O/S. I have it set to go to screen saver after 15 minutes, and "return to login screen" on return. Every time I go AFK, and then my brother logs in the his account (both running), once I log back into my account a message pops up saying [email protected] has run into a critical error and has shut down. Does [email protected] not work when a screen saver is running? because looking at my hourly progress, there are large gaps between WUs.

So are there any settings I need to check?

And which .exe's should I be using for my situation? (9800gx2 + Phenom II x4 940)

Thanks for any help!

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
I'm having the same issue here. I run the GPU2 client on my user and switch out. Once someone else logs in, the GPU2 client crashes pretty quickly. Try doing this though:
Rightclick the client icon in the system tray> Configure> Advanced> Set Core Priority as "Slightly Higher". See if that helps.

As for CPU, check this guide.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
just a quick bump to see if anyone has an solutions to the problem. I haven't tried installing it on my brother's user account, though, but might do that later.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Windows Quick User switch (if you call it that) re-initializes the GPU upon login. It kills the GPU client when that happens. The CPU SMP1/2 client may be installed/run as a service, so it will run whenever the computer on (even if it isn't logged in), and it is immune to problems stemming from "Quick User Switch."

-AbleArcher

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremyshaw
View Post

Windows Quick User switch (if you call it that) re-initializes the GPU upon login. It kills the GPU client when that happens. The CPU SMP1/2 client may be installed/run as a service, so it will run whenever the computer on (even if it isn't logged in), and it is immune to problems stemming from "Quick User Switch."

-AbleArcher

The Pande group doesn't recommend running it as a service because apparently it's less stable like that, but here is the guide to do it.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/...ideMPICH#ntoc5

Edit: Point and case ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Service is running perfectly with SMP. Already 34% done on 1760 pointer in 14-ish hours on a dual core. sounds pretty good to me
(actually probably not, people usually say around 2000 ppd for a dual core. ah well)

Might try it with GPU client.

edit: nvm, gpu client won't work under vista or 7

·
Premium Member
46,114 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MijnWraak
View Post

Service is running perfectly with SMP. Already 34% done on 1760 pointer in 14-ish hours on a dual core. sounds pretty good to me
(actually probably not, people usually say around 2000 ppd for a dual core. ah well)

Might try it with GPU client.

edit: nvm, gpu client won't work under vista or 7

A 1760 pointer isn't an a3 core; did you follow this guide (with the flags and passkey)?

As for GPU2, this guide should work for Vista/7.
What errors are you getting?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by zodac View Post
A 1760 pointer isn't an a3 core; did you follow this guide (with the flags and passkey)?

As for GPU2, this guide should work for Vista/7.
What errors are you getting?
I didn't

And I can't set up the gpu client as a SERVICE is what I mean.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Yeah, running the GPU2 client as a service is crap. if it does work, it's very buggy.
I might try to dab a little into coding a app that will allow it to run as a service without bugs. Gonna take me a bit to do that though. LOL

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So sick of the clients crashing when my brother signs in. And he's complaining about his game not running well "what'd you put some crappy video card in?" sigh.

we COULD use one account, but I autosave all my passwords and wouldnt have any privacy at all haha

SMP has been running perfectly though, I just hope GPU3 client will work as a service!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts