Overclock.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a friend who has an nvidia tesla c1060 and is willing to trade it to me for some machine shop work(I own a cnc machine shop). Do these fold pretty well or can I fold on them at all? I know they are geared toward things like this but I have never owned one and have limited experience with folding. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by samfreese View Post
So I have a friend who has an nvidia tesla c1060 and is willing to trade it to me for some machine shop work(I own a cnc machine shop). Do these fold pretty well or can I fold on them at all? I know they are geared toward things like this but I have never owned one and have limited experience with folding. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
The Tesla c1060 is based on the D10U-30 (GTX280). One of the main purpose of Tesla is CUDA.... which means it should support Folding fine.

You own a CNC shop? Post pics! Do you take custom orders on small projects?

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
From what I have read, yes, they will fold well. Most don't go that route due to the cost versus output.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
The Tesla c1060 is based on the D10U-30 (GTX280). One of the main purpose of Tesla is CUDA.... which means it should support Folding fine.

You own a CNC shop? Post pics! Do you take custom orders on small projects?
thanks! Not trying to get off topic or solicit business but yep I own a machine shop and yes I take orders, large or small. pm me what you want done. I have the stuff for a tri 260 folding rig but am wondering if it would be better to forego a 260 and put in the tesla. any advice there? this folding stuff is really addictive.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by samfreese View Post
thanks! Not trying to get off topic or solicit business but yep I own a machine shop and yes I take orders, large or small. pm me what you want done. I have the stuff for a tri 260 folding rig but am wondering if it would be better to forego a 260 and put in the tesla. any advice there? this folding stuff is really addictive.
That Telsa card is basically a GTX280. What's the setup?

·
Registered
761 Posts
If the job the guy wants done is not too hard, then I say go for it.
Tesla card, anything with Tesla in its name is great in my opinion.
Nikola Tesla would be proud to have a GPU named after him.

·
Premium Member
7,263 Posts
if anything, depending on the rate you charge, get the tesla
ebay tesla, make large profit, buy gtx295's
i didnt check ebay price, but im sure the card is still an arm+leg

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Keep in mind that the tesla card is an underclock 280. They cost more because of the support, but you will actually get less production out of the tesla card than you would from the GTX 280.

An example is the memory on a 280 is clocked at 2214mhz, while the tesla is clocked at 1800mhz.

PS.
Great to see you are in STL, may have to take you up on some work for my folding project.

·
Premium Member
7,146 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skullzaflare
View Post

if anything, depending on the rate you charge, get the tesla
ebay tesla, make large profit, buy gtx295's
i didnt check ebay price, but im sure the card is still an arm+leg

Quote:

Originally Posted by samfreese
View Post

not a bad idea but it would be pretty cool to have a tesla card. I could probably make use of it im the cad drafting I do

Yeah buy GTX295s and sell that Telsa (after you test it of course
)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts