Overclock.net banner

Folding power consumption

7K views 48 replies 23 participants last post by  Maddog7771 
#1 ·
What is folding? Check Here

So, now that I have a UPS I am able to monitor my power usage, which is good and bad. My computer draws about 580W under load.

I noticed that going from idle (web browsing, word processing, music playing) to smp folding only uses 48W or so. I thought it would have been more. Its basically like running a light bulb.

So if you have your computer on, Fold!

#2 ·
Does this include gpu folding?

#4 ·
Quote:

three 22'' monitors?

no, its 3x24 in monitors.

I didnt see any power change when I stopped GPU folding. I dont have an explanation for it.

#5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mortimersnerd
View Post

no, its 3x24 in monitors.

I didnt see any power change when I stopped GPU folding. I dont have an explanation for it.

Those monitors probably pull at least 80w each. Are they plugged into your UPS? Because your system should use 400w at most.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by low strife
View Post

Those monitors probably pull at least 80w each. Are they plugged into your UPS? Because your system should use 400w at most.

The monitors pull 100W according to specs of the monitors. So thats 300W there. 580-300=280W which includes a router and modem along with the computer.

I have all three plugged in, my computer, and network equipment.

#8 ·
I tested the GPU folding (while SMP was running) and found that it only increased 8W while running gpu. According to Cpu-Z it was using ~80% of the GPU.

#9 ·
Er, bump so people know it doesnt take much energy to fold if your computer is already on...

#10 ·
8w for gpu folding??? geez in cost per point of folding, GPU is blowing CPU folding out of the water

#11 ·
Amazing post mortimersnerd thanks! I like folding for a cure but we're screwed if it's polluting the planet eh? So with the monitor off I should be good!

#12 ·
folding is NOT polluting the earth bro

if IF it were, which it isnt, think of the good that comes from it.

Instead of having that stupid old light in your house just to SEE with, you could turn off a light bulb and cure a disease.

I dont see that kitchen light curing anything soon

#13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by deskjockey View Post
folding is NOT polluting the earth bro

if IF it were, which it isnt, think of the good that comes from it.

Instead of having that stupid old light in your house just to SEE with, you could turn off a light bulb and cure a disease.

I dont see that kitchen light curing anything soon

Thanks for backing up what I was saying!

There is really no excuse for a computer that is on to not be folding. For those who say its uses too much energy, point them to this thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by deskjockey View Post
8w for gpu folding??? geez in cost per point of folding, GPU is blowing CPU folding out of the water
Thats what my UPS says. It varies between 8 and 9W when I shutdown GPU folding. I dont know how accurate it is, but I like those numbers so we will stick with them.

#14 ·
pointed bro!

#16 ·
Awesome news! I'm glad to hear my computer won't be drawing a load of power just to fold.

• Rep+
Reactions: mortimersnerd
#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fossil
View Post

Awesome news! I'm glad to hear my computer won't be drawing a load of power just to fold.

Yay, another convinced folder!

#18 ·
Mi. brothers have to stick together

Edit: 999th post

#20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by mortimersnerd
View Post

Yay, another convinced folder!

Lol I'd be folding anyways.
I've been folding nearly 24/7 for the last week since I got the GPU2 client setup. My 8800 is eating the ranks up like nothing right now.

#24 ·
well it looks like i have to read up on how to set up smp for quad core and to run GPU folding

now i know it doesnt take that much power

#25 ·
this is good news i just talked my dad into letting me run a gpu2 client on his comp, he doesn't EVER use the gpu lol and its a quad. Now i can tell him hes curing cancer and not increasing the power bill.
his 42inch plasma probably draws more power than his whole computer

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhahahaha View Post
Don't you just turn them off when you're away from the computer?
Yeah, but my 3 monitors draw about 300W total, more than my computer, and when there on for 4 hours a day or so....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.