Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
it'll be 4 yrs before we see the work they've accomplish

Intel's need to look outside for core talent doesn't bode well for the company's near-term product pipeline.

Late last year, Intel (NASDAQ:INTC) hired veteran graphics processor architect Raja Koduri to run the development of all of the company's core intellectual properties, including processor cores and graphics cores. These technologies are the lifeblood of Intel's product efforts, and Koduri's role within the company can't be understated.

Then, back in April, Intel announced that it had hired processor architect Jim Keller, another industry superstar who has influenced and shaped many successful processor designs. Keller is running the company's system-on-a-chip development efforts.
https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/06/10/intel-hiring-these-2-industry-heavyweights-is-bad.aspx

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
This is implying AMD will sit back and sleep for 4 years. This is bad news for Intel, having no internal talent to challenge a newcomer.

·
Network Enthusiast
4,793 Posts

·
Not new to Overclock.net
3,893 Posts
This is implying AMD will sit back and sleep for 4 years. This is bad news for Intel, having no internal talent to challenge a newcomer.

No...it was actually implying(well, not really, it flat out said it) that it was bad news FOR Intel

·
MegaTechPC
19,215 Posts
It saddened me when I found out Keller was hired by Intel because he did such an amazing job of designing (well, not by himself of course) the chips that finally brought AMD back into the fight with Intel after so many long years of CPU monopoly, and now he goes to work for Intel and we may find ourselves right back in that same boat in 5 years again! I don't want either company to be totally dominant and feel that we the people are always better off when there is strong competition to choose from.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Isn't this article just a bunch of spin? I doubt this has anything to do with intel v amd. If anything Intel is positioning itself to take on NVIDIA cause the future is AI and NVIDIA is very well positioned in this department.

·
Sunday League Jibber
4,254 Posts
It saddened me when I found out Keller was hired by Intel because he did such an amazing job of designing (well, not by himself of course) the chips that finally brought AMD back into the fight with Intel after so many long years of CPU monopoly, and now he goes to work for Intel and we may find ourselves right back in that same boat in 5 years again! I don't want either company to be totally dominant and feel that we the people are always better off when there is strong competition to choose from.
Thankfully it does seem that he's directing their SoC efforts. He may have some influence elsewhere, but it looks as though Raja is the one with the sweeping design authority. I'm sure Keller will do his usual thing and magic up a great SoC design for Intel before scampering off to god-knows-where to design something else. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,192 Posts
For future reference, threads about opinion pieces or editorials rather than news articles should generally go in an appropriate forum that isn’t in Industry News. I’ve moved this to Intel - General.

·
MegaTechPC
19,215 Posts
Thankfully it does seem that he's directing their SoC efforts. He may have some influence elsewhere, but it looks as though Raja is the one with the sweeping design authority. I'm sure Keller will do his usual thing and magic up a great SoC design for Intel before scampering off to god-knows-where to design something else. :)
You are right as always my friend and I can only hope and pray that that next stop for Keller is back at AMD. I mean, I can dream can't I!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts