Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for all you NY OCers - what is the best cable provider in Manhattan? Verizon FioS as the best reviews, but is unfortunately not available in my area. Looks like I have Time Warner Cable, RCN or NY Connect.

I DL a lot via BitTorrent, and enjoy online gaming.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Trust me you don't want Road Runner, it was good when I first got it years and years ago, now it can't shake a stick to FioS, I am still waiting on FioS in my area as well, and as for RCN I called them and that too is not available in my area, so still waiting patiently to get rid of Time Warner's overpriced cable TV and internet service....I mean is it good when they lower your bill by $5 but half your speeds? Lol cmon now, they don't even tell you they lowered the speeds they just tell you they saved you $5!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in Brooklyn and have TWC RoadRunner (RR) High Speed Online Standard (10Mbps/512kbps, but lately it's actually sped up to around 20Mbps). A few months ago I got a Rate Change Notice in my bill and I noticed that RR Standard ($45.95/mo) cost $1 more for the same speed than NY Connect ($44.95/mo) or Earthlink ($44.95/mo).
I called TWC to ask if there was a difference in speed and they said no. The rep came back online and quickly (almost awkwardly) told me that she gave me a $29.95/mo rate for my RR Standard service because I'm a valued customer.

I asked her explicitly if this was going to change my speed and she said no.

I asked her if it was RR or NY Connect and she said that she would not be able to offer me the lower ($29.95/mo) rate.

I would suggest anyone who is paying $45.95/mo for RR with TWC should call and ask about NY Connect.

The fact that my speed has been steadily climbing and they dropped the rate for me is a sure sign FIOS is around the corner.

This just happened so only time will tell if the speed changes or anything. I'll post again if I see anything bad.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts