Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 376 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Windows 7 runs on 55% of all the computers on the planet, but according to news this week that is actually a bad and potentially dangerous thing.
Source

rolleyes.gif
@ MS. We just bought a house hold printer MG3500 with wifi, it works well with my Win7 x64 OS. Any who, I run old games that don't work on Win10 Lol, so it's like they have it backwards.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Funny and pathetic at the same time MS posting this FUD. MS has hit a upgrade wall. Along with that. No telling how many people actually rolled back to 7 if they did not like 10. And if I had to guess. Its a MASSIVE number that rolled back to 7. With that trend continuing.

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
No thanks MS. I have PCs running XP until late 2015. Win7's security support won't end until 2020. I'm going to stay with Win7 for at least 5 years.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
MS is pushing themselves off a cliff

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
OH come on Micro$oft !! Really?
rolleyes.gif
Talk about a company getting desperate for consumers to upgrade their operating system.
lachen.gif

·
Registered
40 Posts
I find it funny that these warnings were from a M$ Marketing Chief.

Even going so far as using Fallout 4, which might not work on a bunch of older machines, as an important reason to change to windows 10.

It seems to me that that is a great reason to upgrade my machine, not change my OS. (I do not consider windows 10 an upgrade)

I'll let Chris Capposella's (M$ Marketing Chief) words speak for themselves.
Quote:
Use windows 7 "at your own risk, at your own peril"
"It is so incredibly important to ... get users to a safer place"
It may be incredibly important (to them), but I am incredulous that M$ would use such a cheap scare tactic.

Old printers and new games ...

edit:
Maybe he knows about skynet, and I am in great peril
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
Its not like anyone is going to stop using Windows and *gasp* use Linux or BSD. Unless MS lets lose one of those zero-day exploits on Win7 and claims it can't be fixed. Then that could get them some traction.

Meanwhile I'm having a laugh as the one machine in my house that I didn't stop the background download of Win10 won't upgrade and keeps telling me to "reserve a slot" but does nothing when I click the damn link/button to do so. What's even better is every boot it tries to install something (MScabinet.exe or something eating 45-75% of CPU) but doesn't actually install anything. That poor laptop.
redface.gif

As for anyone saying they're not going to use Windows10 I wonder how they'll feel in 4 years when 7 hits full EOL for general users. They'll tell themselves Win10 isn't so bad after all and make the leap; just like everyone did after XP, Vista, and 7.

PS: I use Win7 but it's probably the last I use outside a VM or work. Just need to learn how to help the WINE project

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
fud to get people off a perfectly working and still supported windows 7 and downgrade their experience to windows 10..............

what a joke MS

·
Registered
85 Posts
I just posted in the other Win10 thread, but hey, I leave a thought here too. I put Win10 on a nearly dead netbook just so I could play with it. And I have to say, it's terrible. I do not like the fact that they made such a concerted effort to hide all the things that I would want to remove. Thanks to 3rd party software, I figured out how to hide as much of the garbage as possible. I really don't need Cortana keylogging me. I think I will pull the HDD from the netbook and recycle the rest. That way, when Win10 costs $119, I'll have a copy of it already!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I call BS, its just as "buggy" as it was yesterday, and i'm not falling for a scare tactic to upgrade. I liked XP, and one of the few who liked Vista, though I got in later when the bugs were ironed out. Moving to Win 7 actually felt like a backward step to me, and after experience of Win 8/8.1/10 on folks laptops I've been sorting, I won't be moving to them. I REALLY dislike the interface, with a passion. I'll use Win 7 till i'm forced to move, and if 10 is the choice, then i'll make a wholesale jump to the linux ecosystem, probably Mint. And I'll help the others I support do the same once i'm good enough at solving problems in it.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
If Microsoft wanted everyone on the face of the Earth to upgrade, they would have to:

1) Make it absolutely free for everyone. None of this "only for one year" crap.
2) Enable permanent deactivation of Telemetry ect at install.

Clearly there are voyeurs operating at the corporate level.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aweir View Post

If Microsoft wanted everyone on the face of the Earth to upgrade, they would have to:

1) Make it absolutely free for everyone. None of this "only for one year" crap.
2) Enable permanent deactivation of Telemetry ect at install.

Clearly there are voyeurs operating at the corporate level.
#2 is the core element of their new business model and removing that would not make any sense or money for them

·
Premium Member
6,144 Posts
I think that the most serious problem with Windows 7 is the fact it's trying to force you to install Windows 10!

·
What should be here ?
5,934 Posts
Maybe they forgot to mention the update number that actually installs this dangerous problem.
tongue.gif

·
Waiting for 7nm EUV
11,527 Posts
They really hit a low point there. I didn't think that they would go THAT low. Come on, that whole speech is almost as bad as those fake "You've got a virus and a million and one problems on your computer, download this to disinfect right now." pop-ups we used to get ten years ago. The cherry on the cake is the "we're trying to find the right threat balance." Really Microsoft? Really?

Like the writer said and then proceeded to explain, "There's only one problem with Capossela's statements: they are complete rubbish."

At this point nothing else needs to be said, it's just sad for Microsoft to go that low, really.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Been using Win7 ever since it came out, never hit any major problem

I have programs that run on Win7 and can't be used in VM environment
I haven't had the time to test if they work in Win10

1 - 20 of 376 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.