Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Like a fox!
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own an ASRock X370 Taichi motherboard. I bought it used off ebay with the first round of Stimulus checks here in 2020. I own a Ryzen 5 2600 processor. When I bought it off ebay the seller had flashed the most recent bios version off the website, which was version 6.20, with AGESA "Combo-AM4 1.0.0.4 Patch B". I have had instability and blue screens and crashes for the first 2 months until I looked at the bios listings on the ASRock website for my motherboard. For reference here is a link to that so others can read it: https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/X370 Taichi/#BIOS There is the message posted for the 2 most latest bios's here: "*ASRock do NOT recommend updating this BIOS if Pinnacle, Raven, Summit or Bristol Ridge CPU is being used on your system." Okay.. I have Pinnacle Ridge, so I back-flashed backwards to the latest bios that does -NOT- have that message, 5.60 and ever since my system has been completely stable now and everything is golden.

However tonight I was reviewing the bios versions here and there is an older bios listed, 5.10 which apparently has AGESA version 1.0.0.6 ... !!!! Lots newer than the AGESA 1.0.0.1 that I'm currently using from bios version 5.60 right now. However they won't allow us to flash it backwards in bios to an older version.

I do have physical tools here to "clip on to" the bios chips physically and force flash a rom into them. I was considering doing this with an older bios version but I wanted to ask here first if anyone has tried this and if I try it is there a risk to brick my board just from going to a different bios version?

·
OCN is bad civilization
3,541 Posts
AMD has this BIOS partitioning going on which could be problematic if I recall correctly. Win-raid forum certainly has some threads on this in BIOS modding section.

·
Like a fox!
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AMD has this BIOS partitioning going on which could be problematic if I recall correctly. Win-raid forum certainly has some threads on this in BIOS modding section.
I was suspecting something like that.. and so this is a pretty sad situation. If I continue using a 2nd gen / Pinnacle Ridge / 2000 series chip on this board I'm restricted to AGESA 1.0.0.1 forever. :mad:

·
OCN is bad civilization
3,541 Posts
Win-raid might have a solution, just gotta read on it. Only thing is, backup (twice and verify) your current bios binary and don't flash the stock bios because it comes without serial, UUID and LAN MAC address. Without these windows activation along with anything else dependent on it will fail on boot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
However tonight I was reviewing the bios versions here and there is an older bios listed, 5.10 which apparently has AGESA version 1.0.0.6 ... !!!! Lots newer than the AGESA 1.0.0.1 that I'm currently using from bios version 5.60 right now. However they won't allow us to flash it backwards in bios to an older version.
That AGESA 1.0.0.6 is not newer, is AGESA PinnaclePI-AM4 1.0.0.6, while you have Combo-AM4 1.0.0.1. Don't be mislead by final number, Combo-AM4 is newer than PinnaclePI-AM4.

·
Like a fox!
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That AGESA 1.0.0.6 is not newer, is AGESA PinnaclePI-AM4 1.0.0.6, while you have Combo-AM4 1.0.0.1. Don't be mislead by final number, Combo-AM4 is newer than PinnaclePI-AM4.
Ah thanks! I did not understand that. AMD is confusing sometimes. I'm still sort of new to ryzen, only having owned one since october 2019 and my last AMD system before this was the AthlonXP days.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ah thanks! I did not understand that. AMD is confusing sometimes. I'm still sort of new to ryzen, only having owned one since october 2019 and my last AMD system before this was the AthlonXP days.
Nice to be of help.

Out of curiosity, I have a question for you.

I, myself have an Asrock AB350m Pro4 with a Ryzen 5 2600X and 8 GB RAM. When I updated from PinnaclePI-AM4 1.0.0.6 to Combo-AM4 0.0.7.2 (sort of beta Combo-AM4) my memory latency increased a bit and Windows began to see some big chunk of memory as hardware reserved, so it showed I have 7.xx GB as memory installed instead of full 8 GB. I reverted to
PinnaclePI-AM4 1.0.0.6 and it was OK again. (I used in command line "AFUWINx64.exe <bios.rom> /CAPSULE /B /P /N /L" to bypass refusal to downgrade)

Because of that I refrained to update to any newer bios, I wonder if it was solved in later Combo-AM4. If you are on Windows, can you check in Task manager > Performance > Memory if it shows your full installed memory and what amount it shows as hardware reserved?

Attachments

·
Like a fox!
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice to be of help.

Out of curiosity, I have a question for you.

I, myself have an Asrock AB350m Pro4 with a Ryzen 5 2600X and 8 GB RAM. When I updated from PinnaclePI-AM4 1.0.0.6 to Combo-AM4 0.0.7.2 (sort of beta Combo-AM4) my memory latency increased a bit and Windows began to see some big chunk of memory as hardware reserved, so it showed I have 7.xx GB as memory installed instead of full 8 GB. I reverted to
PinnaclePI-AM4 1.0.0.6 and it was OK again. (I used in command line "AFUWINx64.exe <bios.rom> /CAPSULE /B /P /N /L" to bypass refusal to downgrade)

Because of that I refrained to update to any newer bios, I wonder if it was solved in later Combo-AM4. If you are on Windows, can you check in Task manager > Performance > Memory if it shows your full installed memory and what amount it shows as hardware reserved?
I will look for you but I've been in sort of a "retro computer" funk lately and have my old XP rig hooked up right now. My ryzen system is disconnected at the moment. I'll check that on my ryzen system for you in a few days.

·
Like a fox!
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here you go:

I'm running Combo-AMD 1.0.0.1 and Windows 10 64-Bit version 2004.
Sorry it took me so long to get back to ya.

I have 2 more sticks of this ram, sadly I can't use em and they're sitting in the closet until I can afford a 3000 series chip for this board. I would be forced to run 2400 mhz ram if I used all 32 GB with this bios. I can run it at 3200 Mhz ram with just 2 sticks for 16GB. When I was using the later bios that ran with Combo-AMD4 1.0.0.6 I could run both sticks @ 3533 Mhz with my Ryzen 5 2600 chip. But that bios was *EXTREMELY* unstable and would blue screen even at 100% stock settings in bios combining that bios with this Ryzen 5 2600 chip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here you go:

I'm running Combo-AMD 1.0.0.1 and Windows 10 64-Bit version 2004.
Sorry it took me so long to get back to ya.

I have 2 more sticks of this ram, sadly I can't use em and they're sitting in the closet until I can afford a 3000 series chip for this board. I would be forced to run 2400 mhz ram if I used all 32 GB with this bios. I can run it at 3200 Mhz ram with just 2 sticks for 16GB. When I was using the later bios that ran with Combo-AMD4 1.0.0.6 I could run both sticks @ 3533 Mhz with my Ryzen 5 2600 chip. But that bios was *EXTREMELY* unstable and would blue screen even at 100% stock settings in bios combining that bios with this Ryzen 5 2600 chip.
Thanks for your response! Seems OK, no big chunk of hardware reserved memory. Maybe I take the plunge and update to latest BIOS available for my board.

One thing I noticed: your memory frecquency is displayed as 3200 MHz. Mine, although it actually runs at 3000 is displayed as 1500 (is a XMP 2800 kit overclocked to 3000, maximum that I can get without increasing RAM voltage). It always has been like that, some monitoring tools display half of RAM speed, some full, I'm used to that, but seeing Windows itself doing it differently on two computers... hm, that's odd, I wonder what is the cause for that.

Anyway, again, thanks a lot!

·
Like a fox!
2,528 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your response! Seems OK, no big chunk of hardware reserved memory. Maybe I take the plunge and update to latest BIOS available for my board.

One thing I noticed: your memory frecquency is displayed as 3200 MHz. Mine, although it actually runs at 3000 is displayed as 1500 (is a XMP 2800 kit overclocked to 3000, maximum that I can get without increasing RAM voltage). It always has been like that, some monitoring tools display half of RAM speed, some full, I'm used to that, but seeing Windows itself doing it differently on two computers... hm, that's odd, I wonder what is the cause for that.

Anyway, again, thanks a lot!
Microsoft changed Task Manager in some windows update. Windows key + R for run box -> Winver<enter> and see which version of windows 10 you're using. As I said in my post I'm using Windows 10 64-Bit version 2004.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm on the latest Win 10 2004 too, with all the updates. Anyway, it was not Windows but the Asrock Bios that was not reporting correctly. I updated to latest Bios for my board (Combo PI AM4 1.0.0.6) and everything seems OK now. Managed to set the same RAM overclock parameters as before, no stability problem so far.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts