Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm barely playing games these days, but I've wanted to install Silent Hunter5, and really give it a try. There's some problem that prevents some mods, or patches, from working on Steam, but not on Ubisoft/Uplay, and it's a Ubisoft game. However I bought it on Steam years ago, and when I'm in Uplay and go to install it, it wants to launch Steam to install it. Anyone know a way around that ?

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Will now I remember the main problem with SH5, I installed it the way it says, and steam does it, but then it crashed when i went to start a mission.

And now, on Linux, using "Lutris" to run Uplay,, upc.exe, the uplayconsole, is stuck at 13-14% CPU, just sitting on the desktop. I rebooted, same problem. I looked up "upc.exe high CPU usage", and there's nothing of use. and onl mentions high in-game usage.

This is crazy. I like some of linux, but yeah, but a pain for games.

So what about installing windows10 for games along side Linux ? How's that work in 2020? Can I out it on another drive or does it matter ?

·
Robotic Chemist
2,927 Posts
No way around UPlay+Steam when it wants to do that. That is a terrible design IMO so importing Steam games into Uplay is not a good idea.

Linux + Windows 10 is quite good in 2020 but Windows 10 still thinks it is the only OS so it is important to unplug the Linux boot drive before installing Windows. I usually unplug every other drive beside the one I am installing Windows on. Then you can plug in the other drives and use the BIOS boot menu (F8) to switch between them. This is my favorite way to dual boot since neither OS needs to know about the other one.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well something's totally screwed up, because now SH3 (yes 3 not 5), which I had installed 2 days ago on uplay, has dissappared, and it wants me to re-DL it, yet it's still on my drive.

Also, tonight I installed SH5, with uplay that started steam..........and now Steam is acting like SH5 is not installed. So in Steam alone, I'm reDLing it. And I don't even think it will work, I tried this a few months back I'm sure.

I had it runningon windows. Maybe I'm supposed to use Wine or Lutris in some way. I'm real new to Linux, I remember installing some games at the start, by not directly using Steam.

I still haven't figured out if Origin games or if SC2 worked after.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can't find anything useful about upc.exe using 13-20%CPU, that's just the uplay loader that shows your games/store. In game it might be even worse. It makes the CPU fan go crazy, which is driving me nuts.

Lowering the upc.exe priority does nothing

·
LTSC for life crew
2,881 Posts
Have you tried DL'ing and installing the game via steam, then remove the steam program and leave the game files there. Then point UPlay to the install folder and see if it works?

No way around UPlay+Steam when it wants to do that. That is a terrible design IMO so importing Steam games into Uplay is not a good idea.

Linux + Windows 10 is quite good in 2020 but Windows 10 still thinks it is the only OS so it is important to unplug the Linux boot drive before installing Windows. I usually unplug every other drive beside the one I am installing Windows on. Then you can plug in the other drives and use the BIOS boot menu (F8) to switch between them. This is my favorite way to dual boot since neither OS needs to know about the other one.
Okay so I'm not the only person that has run into this. I had a tri boot setup using three different drives to give each OS its own full space and I ended up having to do just what you mention and unplug all other drives except the one I was installing Windows to.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you tried DL'ing and installing the game via steam, then remove the steam program and leave the game files there. Then point UPlay to the install folder and see if it works?

Okay so I'm not the only person that has run into this. I had a tri boot setup using three different drives to give each OS its own full space and I ended up having to do just what you mention and unplug all other drives except the one I was installing Windows to.
What do you mean 'remove the steam program' ? I have lots of Steam games, so i can't uninstall Steam afterwards.

Now another terrible problem has arisen. I installed FC5 w/ Steam, and it open's uplay to run it. But w/ upc.exe already sapping 22% CPU just now, I don't even want to try FC5............because it already ran on the bad side on Win10, even w/ i5-9600k and rtx-2070OC, I had to turn down a lot of settings....and that was without upc.exe using 10-30%CPU.

Honestly I'd like a whole fresh install of Linux but maybe that doesn't matter. But It's my 1st Linux install, so who knows what I've missed or messed up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts