Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My monitor is broken now. I'm trying to make do using an ancient monitor with 1600x900 resolution and VGA input only. This monitor works, and the HDMI to VGA adapter picks up the correct physical resolution. Windows started with some low 4:3 resolution initially but after manually setting it to 900p (recommend) everything on the desktop looks good.

Unfortunately, all the full-screen games were set to higher resolutions and once I start one the input signal goes out of range. Unless the game supports a windowed-mode keyboard short cut or command line option I can't even see the settings menu, so I can't change the resolution.

In the NV control panel under "adjust desktop size and position" there's an option that lets you run the scaling on the GPU rather than the display, which seems to be exactly what I need as the monitor would receive the same 900p signal no matter how large the main frame buffer is. I selected the GPU scaling option. I have also ticked "override the scaling mode set by games and programs". Running full-screen games still gives me a out-of-range error. Under Windows desktop resolution settings the highest entry is 1080p (DSR off) or 4K (DSR on) which gives the same error if selected.

Is my understanding of those two scaling options correct? Is there anything else I can do beside finding the resolution line in some settings file or registry entry for every game?

Edit:
I've done some Googling and all the posts I can find about GPU scaling on NVidia seem to be talking about scaling low resolutions UP. I'm trying to scale DOWN. If I set the desktop resolution to something lower than 900p I still get a 900p output signal according to the monitor's settings menu, so GPU scaling does work, but not in the way I want it to.

·
Fettered Firewall
2,491 Posts
Could you not adjust the configuration of the game/app to reduce it back to 'autosize' or stock?

I've experienced what you are going through and for 3rd party apps it may be easier to delete the configuration and allow it to restart fresh. I had a 16:10 setup on Skyrim at the time and had to run temp on a 4:3 which of course did not work well being as oversized as it was. I found where the config file was and either modified it to fit the new ration/resolution or removed it entirely allowing the setup to use. Later, I realized I could have just ran the 'Launcher' and set the new resolution but running mods and such; I was launching via the modded launcher directly to the .exe, doh! :)

Feel your pain. It shall pass.

·
Overclocker in training
14,019 Posts
Hi,
Probably did but have to ask anyway did you clean install your graphics driver
I don't see why a game would alter display unless you also changed defaults in the game settings
So those too would need to be restored to default.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts