Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got 1 or 2 unused machine I could possibly dedicate to folding.
How would it affect my internet bandwidth? Will it go through the roof and get my ISP knocking on my door for explanation?

I keep seeing GPU in a bunch of threads. GPU to me is a graphic card... The graphic cards I have on hand are old and slow. Can I still fold?

If those questions have been answered before, please direct me to the link or page or whatever.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
What type of video cards do you have? Also, what CPU do you having in your system? If they are as 'old' as say they are, it might not be worth folding with them. I'm not sure about the bandwidth question.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Folding doesn't use much bandwidth, but for best results you should have broadband of some kind. The work units can be large (anywhere from 2MB to 50MB+) as are the data that's returned.

If you don't have any capable GPUs, you could probably do SMP folding, depending on the CPUs you have.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I went the easy way. I installed the software and just let it run. Anything helps I guess. It's running on my work computer at the moment so I'm not worried about the electricity bill.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by theCanadian
View Post

One ~5-10MB file every every couple hours.

Which really isn't too demanding on bandwidth.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blaze_125
View Post

Well, I went the easy way. I installed the software and just let it run. Anything helps I guess. It's running on my work computer at the moment so I'm not worried about the electricity bill.

If you get caught at work folding on their computers you can get in a lot of trouble.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts