Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after some research i still cannot seem to get my FSB above 425 on my maximus formula i have NB waterblock so temps are not a problem but i do believe my 800mhz ram is keeping me back cause right now at 425 its running at 850 Mhz

Does anyone know if it possible to get over 425 FSB with the combo i have listed down below?
 

·
Nobody
Joined
·
6,466 Posts
Well, I would think it should be able to hit over 425MHz fsb.

Have you tried pulling 2 of your ram sticks out to see if you could go beyond then?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,407 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by whtwrnglrx06
View Post

after some research i still cannot seem to get my FSB above 425 on my maximus formula i have NB waterblock so temps are not a problem but i do believe my 800mhz ram is keeping me back cause right now at 425 its running at 850 Mhz

Does anyone know if it possible to get over 425 FSB with the combo i have listed down below?


You shuld be able to with a NB voltage increase. Robilar has some great experience with the Q9X50 and the ASUS X38/X48 boards. I think he said there is a significant voltage increase needed to the NB when he tried to go over 425 FSB.

What NB voltage are you running? In fact, what voltages are you running overall?

What is your transaction Booster set to? It plays a part in the FSB OC as well. if it is too tight, you cant go higher.

Also, are you running the original bios or have you flashed to the Rampage Formula?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,407 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by microman
View Post

never understood why people buy 6400 ram.... i mean i got it when ram was expensive but the prices are so low these days it just doesnt make sense


Yeah, that can very well be the problem, especially with 4 banks being used.
 

·
Nobody
Joined
·
6,466 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by ericeod
View Post

Yeah, that can very well be the problem, especially with 4 banks being used.

The 4 banks is what I was kinda thinking.

But I thought those particular OCZ's were suppose to oc decently


Really, as you said eric, it depends on all of his voltages and what booster a long with if he has any of the banks pulled in or not also.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,380 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by whtwrnglrx06
View Post

after some research i still cannot seem to get my FSB above 425 on my maximus formula i have NB waterblock so temps are not a problem but i do believe my 800mhz ram is keeping me back cause right now at 425 its running at 850 Mhz

Does anyone know if it possible to get over 425 FSB with the combo i have listed down below?


Like was posted, 8 GB of RAM+ quad= you need lots of voltage to the NB, like 1.5 at least as long as you're watercooling. Have you set the CPU GTL to 0.63 and NB GTL to 0.67? That could help out also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:


Originally Posted by ericeod
View Post

You shuld be able to with a NB voltage increase. Robilar has some great experience with the Q9X50 and the ASUS X38/X48 boards. I think he said there is a significant voltage increase needed to the NB when he tried to go over 425 FSB.

What NB voltage are you running? In fact, what voltages are you running overall?

What is your transaction Booster set to? It plays a part in the FSB OC as well. if it is too tight, you cant go higher.

Also, are you running the original bios or have you flashed to the Rampage Formula?

I have the Vcore set at 1.25 right now for 3.6 and it seems like plenty i probly could back it down a bit but when i was shooting for 435 FSB i put it @1.35 and my NB is at 1.65 volts to try get over that FSB hump my transaction is set to auto i believe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:


Originally Posted by microman
View Post

never understood why people buy 6400 ram.... i mean i got it when ram was expensive but the prices are so low these days it just doesnt make sense


I liked this ram and it ran good for me and didnt shat out like the 5 sets of tracers i had in this mobo
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,200 Posts
My OCZ overclocked to 450 only, and they were 2x1GB stick.So...
Your problem is in NB voltage and ram, atleast i would say so...4 sticks = 1/4 less oc? :\\
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: whtwrnglrx06

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
15,777 Posts
I'd like to have your OC setting whtwrnglrx06, I can't even OC mine to 1333FSB (add laugh here) without killing the ethernet ports...
CPU at 1.44.
This mobo have to much crap in the BIOS and lack complete voltage overview. Auto should always show the current voltage and why is this mobo so sucky on auto settings, even when not needing to add voltage it sucks.
I can't even run my 4x1066MHz rams without having POST problems.
And this "Crash free BIOS" is making me RAAAGE since this is the first mobo I've ever used that actually hangs in BIOS 4/10 times...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,407 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by whtwrnglrx06
View Post

I have the Vcore set at 1.25 right now for 3.6 and it seems like plenty i probly could back it down a bit but when i was shooting for 435 FSB i put it @1.35 and my NB is at 1.65 volts to try get over that FSB hump my transaction is set to auto i believe

Just for testing purposes, set the transaction boster to the lowest setting (I cant remember what it is on the Maximus Formula). BTW, you might want to crossflash to the Rampage Formula bios for advanced ram and chipset adjustments.

Do you know what the ram can clock at? Also, try running just 2 sticks and see if you can go higher (maybe the ram is putting too much stress on the NB).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:


Originally Posted by Ecchi-BANZAII!!!
View Post

I'd like to have your OC setting whtwrnglrx06, I can't even OC mine to 1333FSB (add laugh here) without killing the ethernet ports...
CPU at 1.44.
This mobo have to much crap in the BIOS and lack complete voltage overview. Auto should always show the current voltage and why is this mobo so sucky on auto settings, even when not needing to add voltage it sucks.
I can't even run my 4x1066MHz rams without having POST problems.
And this "Crash free BIOS" is making me RAAAGE since this is the first mobo I've ever used that actually hangs in BIOS 4/10 times...


Dont know if any our settings would even matter since your running on the 780i chipset
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:


Originally Posted by ericeod
View Post

Just for testing purposes, set the transaction boster to the lowest setting (I cant remember what it is on the Maximus Formula). BTW, you might want to crossflash to the Rampage Formula bios for advanced ram and chipset adjustments.

Do you know what the ram can clock at? Also, try running just 2 sticks and see if you can go higher (maybe the ram is putting too much stress on the NB).


i think i might flash it to the rampage bios but i have been nervous about that even tho i flashed the bios on my 4870x2 a hour after i got it for fan control im gonna pop out some of the sticks of ram and set some of those setting that you guys mentioned
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
I wouldn't think your ram would be a huge issue here (if your memory divider is 1:1). I have 8GB of the same ram running at a 435 FSB, 4-4-4-15, 2.1volts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:


Originally Posted by bstew
View Post

I wouldn't think your ram would be a huge issue here (if your memory divider is 1:1). I have 8GB of the same ram running at a 435 FSB, 4-4-4-15, 2.1volts.

maybe i need to up the volts on the ram i have it running at 1.9 im just afraid of overvolting the ram and killing it like all the tracers that came before it
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
17,407 Posts
I suspect maybe the transaction booster... I have a 423 FSB currently, and with the curret Trans booster (tRD) setting of 6, I cant manage even 424 FSB unless I loosen it up. I cant even boot to DOS and run memtest, it just freezes like 2 seconds into the test. So with that example, you can see how critical the Transaction Booster is. I mean come on, its only 1MHz right!

Quote:


Originally Posted by whtwrnglrx06
View Post

maybe i need to up the volts on the ram i have it running at 1.9 im just afraid of overvolting the ram and killing it like all the tracers that came before it

The PowerChip ICs can handle 2.1v comfortably. If I'm not mistaken, a majority of 2x2Gb kits use PowerChip. So just check and see if yours do. But even 2.0v is safe for any DDR2 ram.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
15,777 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by whtwrnglrx06
View Post

Dont know if any our settings would even matter since your running on the 780i chipset

dang it.
I wonder why ASUS can't simply make good mobo's with Nvidia like XFX and EVGA...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:


Originally Posted by ericeod
View Post

I suspect maybe the transaction booster... I have a 423 FSB currently, and with the curret Trans booster (tRD) setting of 6, I cant manage even 424 FSB unless I loosen it up. I cant even boot to DOS and run memtest, it just freezes like 2 seconds into the test. So with that example, you can see how critical the Transaction Booster is. I mean come on, its only 1MHz right!

The PowerChip ICs can handle 2.1v comfortably. If I'm not mistaken, a majority of 2x2Gb kits use PowerChip. So just check and see if yours do. But even 2.0v is safe for any DDR2 ram.


when i took the trans booster off auto it wouldnt even post when disable or enabled and when i enabled it i set it from 0 - 4 and no post whatsoever so i set it back to auto and changed my ram voltage also took out 2 sticks and CPU and NB GTL to what was recommened above and it posted at 435 and im using it as we speak dont know if its stable but it seems like it
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Top