Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Professional lurker
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, here's the story...

I had a Titan X (Pascal, 2016) that started artifacting last Nov and ended up dying shortly thereafter. I've been surviving with a GTX670 since then, and trying to buy something new but the bots are strong AF.

So, I'm basically appealing to this community, help a gamer in need.
I'm not rich, I don't have cash to throw away, but I'm looking to buy something with the same amount of horsepower or slightly better. For what I was playing at the time, the Titan was MORE than enough.

Hopefully I'll find a good soul here willing to sell me a GPU for a reasonable price. I'm a reasonable dude.

If you're near Seattle, even better!

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
The absolute worst time ever for a GPU to fail.
Does anyone know if it's possible that Nvidia could fix his Titan X Pascal?

Maybe the OP could try contacting Nvidia directly and see if they would be willing to repair his Titan X Pascal here:
NVIDIA Customer Support Resources

·
Professional lurker
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for trying to help, but I bought it second hand in 2019 when I was living in the UK, so I don't think that'd be an option.
Maybe somebody tried and knows better...?

Still looking tho. :)
Tried to snag something during the BestBuy drops or the NewEgg Shuffles, but no luck for months now.
I couldn't care less about mining, I just want to go back to game on my PC.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I contacted MSI about whether or not they will repair out-of-warranty video cards for a charge/fee. They said no. Maybe Nvidia isn't so heartless though? As of now, it might even be cheaper to look into Nvidia or some electronics firm repairing your Titan X Pascal than buying a 1080ti to replace it. 1080Ti prices are jacked up on ebay. I could sell my MSI 1080Ti Duke right now for more than I paid for it two years ago.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Nvidia will say no to repair also.

MSI and Nvidia do not actually make the cards, they have OEM assembly companies do it for them.

You will most likely not find a local electronics repair shop that will be willing to do it either.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
Nvidia will say no to repair also.

MSI and Nvidia do not actually make the cards, they have OEM assembly companies do it for them.

You will most likely not find a local electronics repair shop that will be willing to do it either.
An electronics repair shop probably wouldn't be willing to troubleshoot the card but if he could figure out if a particular SMD or SMD's failed would they be willing to replace the problematic parts? I suppose there would be no warranty on such work or even a guarantee the videocard would work after replacing said parts.

Could there be an electronics repair shop he could send it to to troubleshoot/repair it?

The cheapest Titan X Pascal I found on ebay is bid up to $590:
Nvidia Titan X (Pascal) GP102 - 12GB - GDDR5X - 4K - VR - Graphics - Video Card | eBay

which is cheaper than any 1080ti I've seen on ebay.

·
Professional lurker
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've followed many of those auctions, always end up above $750 -at least- and I've been sniped more than once on the ones that were cheaper.
My luck is the worst, I know.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
I can hardly believe that 1080Ti's and Titan X Pascals are going for that much now. You know what though? I just hope it doesn't get even worse.

I actually went to my local electronics store that sells discrete parts (NAND gates, MOSFET and BJT transistors, resistors, caps etc.) and asked them if they knew anyone who could solder SMD's on my 1080ti and they knew of someone. I contacted him and he said he would test the disconnected MOSFET on my 1080Ti (that had come loose from its solder pads) and either solder it back or swap it for a working MOSFET. Maybe you could completely disassemble your Titan X and see if anything SMD's are missing/damaged/loose/burned by comparing to pictures of other Titan X PCB's and try finding someone who can replace or re-attach what's damaged.

Good luck Multiplectic.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
It’s artifacting, so chances are it needs a new core. AFAIK only EVGA is willing to charge for this.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
It’s artifacting, so chances are it needs a new core. AFAIK only EVGA is willing to charge for this.
Sad, so there's nothing that can be done because it's not like he can go out and buy a replacement GP-102 GPU.

What if he could buy another videocard that has a good GP-102 GPU but something else wrong with it? Could the GP-102 GPU be de-soldered from one PCB and re-soldered to his?

·
Professional lurker
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This story has a happy ending!
As I'm typing this I'm watching the green "GEFORCE GTX' logo all green and lit up, thanks to @Nikado7 that sold me a very reasonably priced 1080Ti FE from Zotac.

Here's a picture of the wounded Titan X and the 1080Ti (The FE cooler still has the protecting film on it!):

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I contacted MSI about whether or not they will repair out-of-warranty video cards for a charge/fee. They said no. Maybe Nvidia isn't so heartless though?
What is the fate of your own 1080 GPU?

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
What is the fate of your own 1080 GPU?
Thanks for asking kiriakos. It looks like it was successfully repaired. I only tested it in DOS/BIOS functionality via HDMI but there were no issues. I haven't tested it in a windows environment yet and it would take more work to get the cooling squared away before I would try gaming it with it -- all it has now is a arctic cooling accelero xtreme III with no fans attached and some of the thermally epoxied heatsinks on the SMD's may have fallen off.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Thanks for asking kiriakos. It looks like it was successfully repaired. I only tested it in DOS/BIOS functionality via HDMI but there were no issues. I haven't tested it in a windows environment yet and it would take more work to get the cooling squared away before I would try gaming it with it -- all it has now is a arctic cooling accelero xtreme III with no fans attached and some of the thermally epoxied heatsinks on the SMD's may have fallen off.
I am sincerely happy for you, I had also a good day today, I am shopping this weekend a faster CPU at 3G 333FSB ( hardware expand-ability of my MB will be maxed out :) )
Your 1080 this is a good performer even at stock, there is no need pushing more your luck at cooling down individual components.

• Rep+
Reactions: 8051
1 - 16 of 16 Posts