Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi,
I want to start a folding farm, and wondered which is better in terms of cost and PPD?

A P6T6 (i7) with five or six single slot nVidia cards,

or an MSI k9a2 with four GX2's ??

Its a confusing one. the i7 CPU and ram and board would cost much more of course than the AMD system, but the 6 9600GSO's are less expensive than 4 GX2's, plus I might need an extra PSU for them. Does it even out to about equal?

thanks
Nick.

·
Premium Member
11,541 Posts
Well, the GX2 is essentially two 9800GTX in one card, but down clocked. Its 128sp x2, but its stock clock is 600Mhz, instead of the 700+mhz for the GTX. Unless you do 6 WCed cards (single slot) you won't be able to match this.

I would go with:
AMD dual core
MSI K9A2 Plat.
2-4GB RAM
4 GX2s
2x 750W PSU: http://cmstore.coolermaster-usa.com/...roducts_id=102

I have that exact system, and once its all up I will be getting 35-40k ppd depending on the WUs.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
okay cool, thanks. what about cost then?

·
Premium Member
11,541 Posts
They will probably be about the same cost, once you factor in the cost of the GX2s, but you will get much better ppd. THe i7 rig with GSOs would probably only get you 20k with folding on the CPU.

Quote:

Originally Posted by superk
View Post

Can you fit 4 GXs on a single board? I knew you could fit 4 x single slot but wasnt aware of 4 dual slot (3 is most ive heard of)

Would be interesting to see, and the only thing to beat that would most likely be 2 or 3 GTX295.

Yes, on the K9A2 you can, but 1 extra slot will hang over the board, so you can't put in a case unless you mod in an 8th expansion slot.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys.

Of course, If I was clinically insane, I would get the P6T6 and watercool 6 GX2's......

·
Premium Member
11,541 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by retrogamer1990 View Post
thanks guys.

Of course, If I was clinically insane, I would get the P6T6 and watercool 6 GX2's......
WCed GX2s are still 2 slots. The best you could do is 6 WCed GTX285s. But that would be impractical as it would only get a little better ppd over 4 GX2s.

Here is my GX2 rig, to give you an idea: http://www.overclock.net/overclock-n...moar-pics.html

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by superk View Post
you mean you arent? Shucks. I thought we all were here on OCN. QUICK! POINT AND LAUGH!! /sarcasm
no, I am just moderately insane

well, If i start saving now, I could get the P6T6 with six Watercooled GX2's when pigs fly colonise mars.

·
Premium Member
3,241 Posts
Quote:

well, If i start saving now, I could get the P6T6 with six Watercooled GX2's when pigs fly colonise mars.
With what they are putting in the pigs feed and water lately, that might happen sooner than you think. PLANET OF THE PIGS!!!

·
Premium Member
11,541 Posts
Quote:

WCed GX2s are still 2 slots.

PCB on both sides, WB in the middle. You can only have 4 GX2s in a rig....

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yeah but the PPD would = FAIL.

thankyou guys!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hang on, hows the 295 at folding? better or worse than the GX2?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ImmortalKenny
View Post

The GTX295 average around 14k PPD whereas the 9800GX2 will average around 9-10k PPD.

Fixed

1 - 20 of 25 Posts