Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure about how to word this, so if you don't understand, I'm sorry.

Do any of you know of an adapter that would plug into one of the four-pin molex slots on the PSU, one that would allow me to plug something that would normally plug into the wall into? That is, I want to set up my Playstation to run off of a PSU inside my computer by plugging it into one of the four-pin molex slots.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
why would you want to do that?
1) it's easier to plug into the wall
2) it puts a whole lotta draw on your PSU

You might be able to make one, but I don't think the PSU or it's wireing would be able to handle it.

·
Banned
1,212 Posts
Well the problem is that the molex connectors run at 12V and something like 30 amps maximum on for example the antec True480 power supply. Thats about 360 watts. What you need to do is find out how much power the playstation takes up. Then what you would have to do is probably build your own (unless you can google a 120V-12v molex converter) step-up transformer that will turn that 12V rail into a 120V rail. it also must convert from 12V DC (power supply) to 120V AC (what the ps2 wants). I know a PS has been put inside a computer but i dont remember if it ran off the powers upply. They may have just split off from the main line and had a line run into the power supply and another run to the PS so a transformer wouldnt have been necessary. Its a rather complicated thing, i highly doubt anyone makes a module for it... but its doable albeit really dumb...

·
Overclocking since 1998
931 Posts
Listen, you've already got 120V AC going into your PC PSU. The best method would be to mount the Playstation power supply in your case, run an extension cord from the outlet to inside you case. Then plug the playstation power supply into it and also you PC power supply cord and route that back out the case and into the power supply.

Doing the roundabout way of taking the 12V DC off the power supply and then using a power inverter just to get back to 120V AC is silly, not efficient and would take as much space as just using the original PS2 supply and an extention cord.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts