Overclock.net banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
The National Security Agency has broken into the highly secure data centers where Google and Yahoo store vast troves of data on their users by hacking an unencrypted weak point in the data pipeline linking the enormous centers, according to a new story at The Washington Post.

The massive servers run by the leading Internet companies are carefully guarded and strictly audited; according to Google, buildings housing its servers are guarded 24/7 and secured with heat-sensitive cameras, biometric verification, and more.
Source
http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/10/30/google-yahoo-hacked-by-us-government/

That's funny I'm pretty sure if someone hacks into the US governments servers they go to jail... US government does it to google, it's to prevent terrorism. Nice.

Edit: sorry for repost...
 

·
User
Joined
·
2,334 Posts
lulwut?
 

·
Politically incorrect
Joined
·
9,548 Posts
I, too, call giving hacking
rolleyes.gif
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
836 Posts
Quote:
unencrypted weak point
So basically its like a bank that left its doors and vaults open after hours, and they want us to believe that Google and Yahoo have nothing to do with this?
And before you start defending Google by saying that its was left open by a mole or something, then how come the rest of the companies cyber security didn't notice this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,625 Posts
YAY! domestic spying mixed with foreign leaders being wire tapped, throw in some internet giants being hacked = murica gone wild....

can't wait to see how this ends
biggrin.gif


i'd like to throw out this idea, lets make our own internet...disconnect from the mess this one turned in to...throw in some heavy duty encryption that doesn't allow the NSA to know a portion of the key and drop the old one like cable tv.
 

·
You broke it!
Joined
·
14,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Saved View Post

So basically its like a bank that left its doors and vaults open after hours, and they want us to believe that Google and Yahoo have nothing to do with this?
And before you start defending Google by saying that its was left open by a mole or something, then how come the rest of the companies cyber security didn't notice this?
Oh god, here we go, someone believing Google and Yahoo were in on it.

Or maybe....

You are the type that believes "Hey, my neighbor left his door unlocked on accident, so it is totally fine I helped myself to his things."

or maybe....

"She was wearing a super short skirt, she deserved to get hit on and groped in the bar."

It is a bit scary that you seem capable of being alright with the fact that our Government ignores every law on the books in the name of "Catching the bad guys", it is pretty disgusting.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
65,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Saved View Post

So basically its like a bank that left its doors and vaults open after hours, and they want us to believe that Google and Yahoo have nothing to do with this?
And before you start defending Google by saying that its was left open by a mole or something, then how come the rest of the companies cyber security didn't notice this?
Some education for you...

With internal networks, data is generally not encrypted. This was from Google datacenter to Google datacener... they try to buy dedicated lines. However, Google was in the process of encrypting all intra-datacenter communication BEFORE the Snowden leaks. Google has since announced that they were accelerating this project AFTER the leaks.

In the last few years, there has been a move towards encryption for even internal systems. However, have you ever setup encryption before? Now trying setting up a few hundred system and maintaining it.... you have to hire people to just do this one job.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

It is a bit scary that you seem capable of being alright with the fact that our Government ignores every law on the books in the name of "Catching the bad guys", it is pretty disgusting.
problem is, the definition of "the bad guys" keeps changing, first it's terrorists, then its whistleblowers, now its everyone who uses google/yahoo

they should just come out and say "everyone who isn't one of us is a terrorist", and be done with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,131 Posts
Quote:
That's funny I'm pretty sure if someone hacks into the US governments servers they go to jail... US government does it to google, it's to prevent terrorism. Nice.
I gotta quote you on that. I swear, so good.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

Some education for you...

With internal networks, data is generally not encrypted. This was from Google datacenter to Google datacener... they try to buy dedicated lines. However, Google was in the process of encrypting all intra-datacenter communication BEFORE the Snowden leaks. Google has since announced that they were accelerating this project AFTER the leaks.

In the last few years, there has been a move towards encryption for even internal systems. However, have you ever setup encryption before? Now trying setting up a few hundred system and maintaining it.... you have to hire people to just do this one job.
Could not agree more Duckie. Internal encryption isn't used hardly anywhere. Any of the systems I have been a part of are point to point encryption and nothing more. It's actually kind of scary that once you get through the "front door" most networks are there for the taking and any data is easily had. It's definitely not as easy as just throwing on a light switch.
smile.gif
 

·
You broke it!
Joined
·
14,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanrenolds08 View Post

Could not agree more Duckie. Internal encryption isn't used hardly anywhere. Any of the systems I have been a part of are point to point encryption and nothing more. It's actually kind of scary that once you get through the "front door" most networks are there for the taking and any data is easily had. It's definitely not as easy as just throwing on a light switch.
smile.gif
People hear the word encryption and just think it requires that light switch to be flicked, and everything magically is encrypted. They don't understand how difficult proper encryption is, and the extra work required to have it.

Using the guys bank vault analogy....

Google didn't leave the "Vault door open", the vault door was very much closed. The "money" was just sitting in the vault, instead of being in a vault inside the vault. Google has been in the process of putting the money that is in the vault, inside a vault...the Government simply broke into the vault, before what was in that vault was put inside another vault.

Get it?

EDIT:

That wasn't directed at you Ryan, just in following your's and Duckie's comments.
 

·
Just another nerd
Joined
·
5,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artikbot View Post

Once more the law doesn't apply to those that make it.
Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Been that way for centuries. Nothing ever changes.
mad.gif


I'm sure this is not just limited to the U.S. Many governments do this sort of thing, and worse.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top