Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
PC Gaming Master Race
10,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Eastman Kodak (EK: 0.79, +0.19, +31.68%) has reportedly sued Apple (AAPL: 420.75, -2.49, -0.59%) for infringing on four patents with its iPad and iPhone, offering a sign of desperation as the troubled camera maker relies on a batch of patents as its only lifeblood.
Kodak says the patented technology in question allows digital camera users to share images without first transferring them to personal computers, according to a report by Reuters.
In the lawsuit, filed in a Rochester, N.Y. federal court, the company said it seeing compensatory and triple damages, the report said.
Quote:
The company is seeking to sell the digital imaging patents, which some analysts have estimated could be worth more than a billion dollars.
http://www.foxbusiness.com/technology/2012/01/10/kodak-sues-apple-for-patent-infringement/

Update: They're also suing HTC. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204124204577152503598025844.html

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Apple infringing on patents. Who would have thought....
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
This seems more like a desperation move on Kodak's part than anything else. However, this wasn't the first time Kodak has sued Apple (they won the first time) and they may just win this time. But, I'm sure it may just come down to a settlement so Kodak can put some money in their shareholder's pockets.

·
PC Gaming Master Race
10,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksTricks007 View Post

This seems more like a desperation move on Kodak's part than anything else. However, this wasn't the first time Kodak has sued Apple (they won the first time) and they may just win this time. But, I'm sure it may just come down to a settlement so Kodak can put some money in their shareholder's pockets.
Oh definitely. Their shares have already jumped 50%. Now is the time to buy some Kodak shares, because they could spring up a bit over the coming months.

·
News Junkie
8,233 Posts
If the company is filing for bankruptcy, I wonder how they could afford a long legal battle with Apple.

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
I bet they do win

All the dumbest Patent fights win

Isnt it incredibly common? the ability to Share an image off the SD Card??

And they word it funny, "without first transferring them to personal computers"

What Constitutes a personal Computer these days??

Online Dictionary states

"A computer built around a microprocessor for use by an individual. Personal computers have their own operating systems, software, and peripherals, and can generally be linked to networks."

Am I mistaken? But Cell Phones, Camera, Desktops, laptops, Servers, your DS and PSP, even your frikkin television seem to follow this definition!!

If Kodak really has a well worded proper Patent for this small function, then damn yo they can sue half the planet.

Unless the courts view this like I did, that everything and anything, that can write data to a built in or supplied Storage, with the ability to pull up that data for later viewing, Could and SHOULD be considered as a Personal Computer.

At this point, the Camera Has a Processor, has an OS, has Storage, Peripherals too (Printer Docks etc)

Saying the iPhone and iPad are not PC's in my opinion is ******ed.

·
PC Gaming Master Race
10,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2009 View Post

If the company is filing for bankruptcy, I wonder how they could afford a long legal battle with Apple.
Bankruptcy is not at all indicative of wealth, but in Kodak's case, they're likely not that wealthy; their net income in 2010 was -$680 million.

·
PC Gaming Master Race
10,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth Pyros View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicksTricks007 View Post

Oh definitely. Their shares have already jumped 50%. Now is the time to buy some Kodak shares, because they could spring up a bit over the coming months.
Ya, was thinking of pulling the trigger on about 500 shares or so and tripling my money
thumb.gif

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormX2 View Post

I bet they do win
Online Dictionary states
"A computer built around a microprocessor for use by an individual. Personal computers have their own operating systems, software, and peripherals, and can generally be linked to networks."
Am I mistaken? But Cell Phones, Camera, Desktops, laptops, Servers, your DS and PSP, even your frikkin television seem to follow this definition!!
If Kodak really has a well worded proper Patent for this small function, then damn yo they can sue half the planet.
Unless the courts view this like I did, that everything and anything, that can write data to a built in or supplied Storage, with the ability to pull up that data for later viewing, Could and SHOULD be considered as a Personal Computer.
At this point, the Camera Has a Processor, has an OS, has Storage, Peripherals too (Printer Docks etc)
One big difference between all those other companies lawsuit. Kodak actually did make this technology
It was never thought of before. So, this is def a good lawsuit and I hope kodak wins.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormX2 View Post

I bet they do win
Online Dictionary states
Can you run programs on your digital camera? I wouldnt call that an operating system, more like firmware. Unless ive miss-read something.

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkypoo7 View Post

Ah another stupid patent war due to an incompetent patent system.
Not really. The amount of work put into first implementing such is quite costly. You want your work to be paid for.

A lot of companies have made million's of this groups technology break through and they might as well get a cut for it. Now, generalizing GUI designs and general slate designs that were made before the iPad and iPhone is just stupid. Other companies, as shown by who they have sued, haven't broken their patent and quite possibly developed their own.

But the naming of the patent is stupid. Too general.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkypoo7 View Post

Ah another stupid patent war due to an incompetent patent system.
While Kodak's at it, might as well hit HTC, Motorola / Google, Samsung etc. while the option is still there.
You dont get it do you? This isnt like apple getting patents for things that have been around for years. KODAK made these. Before kodak did it, no one did. That is the big difference. this is far from a stupid patent. kodak patented what they created, far from what all the other companies have done(which is, take an original idea thought of by someone else and patent that)

·
Super Moderator
14,135 Posts
I wonder if Apple will be able to take what it gives
thinking.gif

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papas View Post

You dont get it do you? This isnt like apple getting patents for things that have been around for years. KODAK made these. Before kodak did it, no one did. That is the big difference. this is far from a stupid patent. kodak patented what they created, far from what all the other companies have done(which is, take an original idea thought of by someone else and patent that)
Actually I do get it. At the time it was worth something. Yes it was technology that was bleeding edge back then, quite frankly Kodak should have sued years ago, or at least demanded royalties for each unit sold.

The problem lies in the fact they're drowning, faster than a damn anchor with unlimited rope in the Pacific, and now they're going to do this [sue] years after they should have. Quite frankly if they sued as products began infringing, fine, all fine, but that they waited this long, no, that's an abuse imo.

Then again, I wish I lived in a perfect world.. so in the end, whatever, go sue happy Kodak, you're still irrelevant.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts