Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finished setting up a build today. I only have a modest tech knowledge, so any suggestions would be appreciated...

When I power on (using either the case or motherboard switch) the post code display flashes FF very briefly, then switches to a continuous 03 display. After almost exactly 5s the mobo powers down. After 5s the cycle repeats itself.

Basic specs are: Foxconn Black Ops X48/Q9550/OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600 2x2GB/OCZ 700W/WD Caviar Green 1TB/Sapphire HD4830

I believe the appropriate post codes can be found at this Phoenix BIOS support page, which lists:

Code(hex).....Name...................Description.. ................
3.............Early Superio Init.....Early Initialized the super IO
FF............Full on..............................................

There are four dual channel DDR3 slots on the mobo. I have tried one stick in each white slot, one stick in the rightmost white slot, and one stick in the rightmost blue slot. None of those combinations worked. :swearing:

Please help! Thanks

UPDATE:

Sig for full system specs.

·
Premium Member
3,789 Posts
This board is very picky -- I have one and I know.

First of all fill in your system specs here so we can help you: http://www.overclock.net/specs.php?do=addsystem

Did you plug in the 24 pin and the 8 pin on the motherboard?
Keyboard/mouse plugged in?

Try hitting the reset BIOS button a few times after you power it on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Blizzie: 24+8 power, yes. KB and mouse are unplugged for now - necessary to try with them connected? Had already tried the BIOS reset - no change.

Edit: BTW, the 24-pin cable is 20+4.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please, does anybody have any ideas? I can't seem to logon to the Foxconn support forum, and this is very disheartening.

I have tried both RAM modules in all four sockets to no avail. I've also plugged in the KB and mouse, and that didn't help at all. Just sitting here staring at a very nice looking hunk of useless metal!

·
Premium Member
3,789 Posts
Maybe you should try connecting the keyboard and mouse?

I really don't know the issue. The RAM is compatible with the motherboard. It might be because the RAM isn't getting enough voltage for it to power up.

Edit: Try booting with HDD and optical drive unplugged. I had a weird issue where the first boot failed because they were plugged in.

Also, try running it out of the case on the box or something. Grounding issue?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had connected the KB and mouse a while back. I removed the motherboard from the case and tried running it with only the PSU, CPU, and RAM. Here's my post to the OCZ support forum:

Quote:

Originally Posted by maizor

I installed a new OCZ Reaper HPC 2x2GB DDR3 1600 Dual Channel Kit on a new Foxconn Black Ops X48 motherboard, along with all other components (OCZ 700W PSU, Sapphire Radeon HD4830 VGA card, WD Caviar Green 1TB HDD, LG Black 22X DVD Burner). I installed only one DDR3 module to begin, and the setup failed to post. I tried arranging the modules in a number of different ways (the mobo has four slots - I tried each module separately in each slot, and both modules together in the blue slots and then in the white slots), but each time the system failed to POST.

The Black Ops X48 has an onboard POST code display, which read "03" each time it was turned on. The display was constant for 5s, after which the system would shut off for 5s, then cycle again. According to the Phoenix BIOS support page (http://www.phoenix.com/NR/rdonlyres/...0/postcode.pdf), this post code has the name "Early Superio Init" and the description "Early Initialized the super IO."

I disassembled the system and ran the motherboard outside the case. I disconnected everything except for the CPU and RAM from the motherboard and power supply. The error repeated, displaying the same code.

Motherboard setup and layout

Post code display

Please advise on how to proceed. :help: The Foxconn Black Ops X48 has a CMOS clear jumper, BIOS select jumper, FSB select jumper, reset button, and clear CMOS button.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A 30 second conversation with Foxconn support confirmed the BIOS needs to be updated to P05 - since I don't have an LGA775 CPU to use in the meantime, they are shipping out a replacement chip. It's bittersweet:

- on the one hand, I got the Black Ops X48 and Q9550 as a bundle deal from Newegg.com, and they should REALLY not be bundling incompatible (at the time of sale) hardware. :swearing:

- on the other hand, 5 star rating for Foxconn support. The rep was very well informed, polite, and helpful, and my call was answered immediately.

·
Premium Member
3,789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by maizor View Post
A 30 second conversation with Foxconn support confirmed the BIOS needs to be updated to P05 - since I don't have an LGA775 CPU to use in the meantime, they are shipping out a replacement chip. It's bittersweet:

- on the one hand, I got the Black Ops X48 and Q9550 as a bundle deal from Newegg.com, and they should REALLY not be bundling incompatible (at the time of sale) hardware. :swearing:

- on the other hand, 5 star rating for Foxconn support. The rep was very well informed, polite, and helpful, and my call was answered immediately.

Glad you got it fixed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm having the same issue with my blackops-q9550 combo, power for 5 seconds and then restart...So they sent you a chip with a BIOS update?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts