Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
A better HDR gaming experience

High Dynamic Range (HDR) is already one of the most significant developments in gaming in recent years but Sony and Microsoft, fierce rivals in the gaming console space with their PlayStation and Xbox consoles, believe it can look even better.

The two companies will work together to ensure “a better HDR gaming experience” by forming the HDR Gaming Interest Group (HGIG). They are inviting TV manufacturers, game developers, and other players in the field to voluntarily participate.

Source

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
what's wrong with the current HDR standards?
these will get licensing kickbacks?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what's wrong with the current HDR standards?
these will get licensing kickbacks?
Display makers and game developers are not 1:1. They're doing HDR according to their whims which is why many HDR games look weird such as having terrible black crush.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I own a few higher end displays but the only one with HDR is actually my Apple phone

so eli5, what's wrong with Dolby Vision or HDR10? is it because of the 1000-nit requirement?

·
PC Evangelist
46,946 Posts
This is good. Some games and some TVs had problem with HDR.

·
Registered
6,188 Posts
Just hope they push with one of the current standards, and not "create another standard for all-in-one unified", that ends up adding to the numbers of standards instead lol. Where's that comic concerning this, at?

They just need to fully back HDR1000, IMO. But I bet Dolby will throw money their way to make Dolby HDR the standard.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts