Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been playing counter-strike on and off for about 10 years since the beta days and a few of my friends have me playing on a scrim team on esea again. It made me consider my gaming mouse and keyboard all over again (settled w/ razer lycosa and intellimouse 1.1A w/ hyperglide skates) and now im just considering what implications a large monitor might have on peripheral eyesight and reaction time.

I LOVE the 28" Hannspree I have for games like shattered horizon and BC2, but counterstrike I play at 800x600 and at 4:3 instead of 16:10.

With some quick math, (assuming the monitor is 27.5" viewable at 16:10), when I put the monitor into 4:3 and it places black bars on the sides to keep aspect ratio, that is equivalent to a 24.516" 4:3 LCD monitor. Considering I used to play on 19" LCDs, do you think as long as I have decent distance from the screen that the larger display is possibly slowing my reaction time to objects that are not in the center 30-40% of the monitor ?

My only comparison is the 20" 4:3 monitor I found laying in a back room at work and without having them side by side its hard to really tell.

Im not worried about the quality of the picture w/ 800x600 stretched over 1600x1200 pixels on a 28" LCD w/ higher pixel pitch, Im just wondering if you think 24 vs 19" is enough to slow reaction time assuming the same viewing distance

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Reaction time has nothing to do with screen size.

.... you can adjust mouse DPI to account for the higher resolution.

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
You can certainly make adjustments.

When I was on vacation, I played TF2 on a 30 inch monitor and it really, really bothered me. I didn't feel like I was as aware of my peripheral vision, and my movement in general felt awkward and laggy.

It took me a while to get used to it, but I did get used to it.

Then I had problems moving back to my 22 inch....

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
Reaction time has nothing to do with screen size.

.... you can adjust mouse DPI to account for the higher resolution.
Well the point was im not playing at higher resolution, so DPI is a non-issue, its whether or not being closer or farther from a bigger or smaller screen can affect reaction time due to one's field of focusable vision.

Quote:

Originally Posted by _02 View Post
You can certainly make adjustments.

When I was on vacation, I played TF2 on a 30 inch monitor and it really, really bothered me. I didn't feel like I was as aware of my peripheral vision, and my movement in general felt awkward and laggy.

It took me a while to get used to it, but I did get used to it.

Then I had problems moving back to my 22 inch....

This is more what I was getting at. Yea i had a feeling it was just the size that was affecting me and not any lack of vision to any serious extent, it just seems different when your playing on a larger screen and i was wondering if that was a something other people had gotten used to.

·
Super Moderator
10,389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rmp459 View Post
This is more what I was getting at. Yea i had a feeling it was just the size that was affecting me and not any lack of vision to any serious extent, it just seems different when your playing on a larger screen and i was wondering if that was a something other people had gotten used to.
Well, when I went to a 24 inch from a 19 inch, I had a hard time adjusting. I felt like I had a hard time "taking it all in" and found myself a bit disoriented. But after a few weeks, I began to like that the monitor filled my entire FOV, and my level of competitiveness went back up to where it was (if not higher).

Give it time, and you will learn to like the bigger screen.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
Anything over 1920x1200 is too much, people with 2650x1600 need to sort priorities.

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Reflux View Post
Anything over 1920x1200 is too much, people with 2650x1600 need to sort priorities.
The more res the better!

I wouldn't want a 40 inch monitor though.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Well the point was im not playing at higher resolution, so DPI is a non-issue, its whether or not being closer or farther from a bigger or smaller screen can affect reaction time due to one's field of focusable vision.
Move the monitor futher/closer?

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clockadile Dundee View Post
Have you gamed at 2560*1600? How can you have too much resolution?
I love gaming at 1920x1200... just not with cs 1.6.. maybe im just set it my ways, but the game has a habit of increasing the size of the crosshair at high resolutions and that feels 100x worse than learning to adjust to goliath sized monitors. lol

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
Quote:

I love gaming at 1920x1200... just not with cs 1.6.. maybe im just set it my ways, but the game has a habit of increasing the size of the crosshair at high resolutions and that feels 100x worse than learning to adjust to goliath sized monitors. lol
There has got to be a mod for that.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Quote:

That is a fair point, and not the same as just making a sweeping generalization that there is nothing to be gained by resolutions over 1900*1200, ever, which is just wrong.

·
Premium Member
7,860 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clockadile Dundee View Post
That is a fair point, and not the same as just making a sweeping generalization that there is nothing to be gained by resolutions over 1900*1200, ever, which is just wrong.
Do people really make that assertion?

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Play in a Window?

·
Registered
887 Posts
Well generally regular sized desktop monitors don't support 2560*1600 so for that res you'd need a bigger monitor, so I guess thats what he meant.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by _02
View Post

I could see not wanting a huge monitor.

Resolution though?

Sky's the limit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lurkingdevil
View Post

Well generally regular sized desktop monitors don't support 2560*1600 so for that res you'd need a bigger monitor, so I guess thats what he meant.

Yes, that is true, 30" is kind of huge, considering how close you sit. However, the resolution and size of the monitor, adds more "immersion" than any other single thing, imo, making it a justifiably high priority for gaming.

I assumed Reflux meant that other parts of a PC were a higher priority than the monitor. While I disagree with that statement potentially, it occurred to me that maybe Reflux meant other things were a higher priority...like buying food for your family, or something like that. That I agree with.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by _02 View Post
There has got to be a mod for that.
I wish... source supports scaling of the crosshair, but not 1.6... 3 default sizes to choose from and at 1920x1200 you can fit like 3 enemies inside of the large one LOL

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
My friend, scrims all the time with all variants of CAL, ridicules me for playing 1.6 @ 800x600+.

I never knew CS pre-1.6 days, and I've always played it for fun.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts