Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some background. I run a bunch of VMs, just recently moved them from a couple SG05s to 3 x Shuttle sh67h3 so I can get more RAM and an extra PCI-e slot. They all run a 3770k except for the main host which is a non k. The main hypervisor runs 2 Samsung Pro 512 SSDs in MDADM raid 0 and 1 DP and 1 QP NIC for 7 network interfaces. Don't worry, there's snapshots and a second disk that syncs those kvms so I can afford if the RAID breaks. The load when booting before off the 2.5 500GB drive was 70 and now with the RAID 0 disks as the storage it barely breaks a sweat, which is what I needed.

I have a Synology DS412+ with LACP LAG that works well but sometimes pegs the CPU. 8TB mostly for backups of the LVMs, Time Machine and CloudStation to CrashPlan remote backups.

When I migrated to the Shuttles I tried installing synology's DSM 4.2.x build to the PH877-i ITX and it worked, even with LAG over a quad port NIC worked, using the xpenology project. That was pretty impressive. I was toying with the idea of having a second storage setup for a bunch of other stuff and even a backup to the Synology so was considering FreeNAS, but with the success of putting Synology's software on the home build, I thought I'd try to see if I could custom build a Synology DSM NAS with newer component hardware.

The requirements for everything in the lab is SFF and ideally low power. So far that has worked well.

The parts

Fractal 304 black (6 drive bays)
ASUS H87I-PLUS (6 SATA III Ports)
Haswell 4770
16GB Vengence RAM 1600MHz
6x4TB Reds
SeaSonic 520W Platinum Modular PSU
Corsair H90
Intel Pro Quad Port NIC

So the build starts today. We'll see how it goes.

Added Pic:

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Thats a lot of storage to pack in that tiny case! subbed
thumb.gif

·
Starting to become a BOFH
10,471 Posts
Wanting to get a Fractal 304 myself!

Subbed.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
H90 fail. Ring wouldn't seat for this motherboard due to the caps:

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

so used my old Gen 2 H60 which fit just fine. Was hoping to stick with a 140mm but oh well.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
man that sucks... i wish manufacturers put compatibility lists on all of their products...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts