Overclock.net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got the define 7 compact and currently I'm using it with 2 Noctua with the Chromax version 2x NF-A14's as intake and one A12 as exaust and an A8 on my ram (top intake) positions marked in yellow. (Yellow is what I have now, the 7 fan positions with NF-A12x25, is what I want)

But I'm REALLY contemplating about replacing all of these with 7! NF-A12x25, as these have higher static pressure and are more silent and can move more air when needed @ 2000rpm.

also 3x the 12 on intake rather than the 2x 14 creates more static pressure as well, which is beneficial for the RAM.
does this make sense? and would you use the top as intake or exhaust?

Since the bottom intake and top exhaust are not covered by my videocard (I have a "short" 2 fan Ventus) I'm hoping to create some kind of "inline push / pull tunnel to cool the ram.

Does this make sense? or am I'm not going to expect any improvement over what I'm using now?

Last but not least, at certain RPM's the NF-A14's have a really nasty drone, which I would like to get rid off as well. the x25's seem to be a whole lot more silent.
Rectangle Schematic Font Floor plan Parallel

·
Shooting down fallacies
9,346 Posts
Does it make sense? No, not in the least. Unless your goal is to better cool your PSU cables.

First, with the PSU shroud, you would be replacing 2 A14 with 2.3 A12x25 (most of the output of the bottom fan will be directed under the shroud), so less airflow at like speeds and sound levels. Second, you are talking about mounting yet another a12x25 under the PSU shroud to do nothing other than fill an available fan spot.

·
Registered
127 Posts
does this make sense?
It appears you're confusing fans in parallel with fans in series. This is parallel operation so, unless you're planning to also increase RPMs enough to overcompensate for the NF-A12x25s' smaller impeller (refer to the fan affinity "laws"), it's an increase in airflow rather than in pressure. For the Defines, P-Q charting suggests something like 90-95% the noise-normalized airflow of an NF-A14 from an NF-A12x25. As @ciarlatano just pointed out, most of the extra airflow interacts with the shroud and is unlikely to contribute much to upper motherboard cooling. So switching the front from 140s to 120s might actually somewhat reduce noise-normalized airflow over the upper motherboard.

With the Defines the most effective options for increasing airflow and lowering case temperatures are opening the door and pulling the dust filter. If you're not already doing that or just don't want to run the case that way then, given budget for six additional NF-A12x25s, it looks to me like putting the money into a Torrent, Lancool II Mesh, or even a Meshify is likely to have a greater effect on temperatures. See Gamers Nexus' thermal measurements in their reviews.

From the OP it's unclear to me why the CPU cooler and NF-A8 aren't adequately cooling the RAM. Changing out the NF-A8 may make a difference but I would give priority to understanding what's happening with cooler intake and GPU exhaust and checking whether the NF-A8 is promoting recirculation of CPU exhaust.

A bottom intake might help some with GPU temperatures, depending on what all is under the shroud, but my experience suggests slight, if any, upper motherboard effect.

For NF-A14 droning, the 140 mm fans for 2022 thread is currently right next to this one in the forum list.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the shroud has two HDD covers which can be removed so it’s only covered under the GPU in this way intake (bottom) with exhaust (top) in line should create a flow straight over the ram
I’ve got no GPU cooling issues, the fan cooling is sufficient for normal usage, but not for benching (OC’ed ram 6800 1.5vdd ram going high 50ties)
i was triggered by the x25 being marketed as 120mm with 140mm perfomance, and the sonic profile having no hum / drone. Ideally I would like them in 140mm but those still haven‘t been released (i don’t want the Thermaltake ripoffs)

A better airflow case is also an option. Cost is not a part of the equation here. So any money no object ATX solutions (case + fans) please do suggest. Only restriction is case should be mid size. No full size or lengthy with ancient 3.5” and 5,25” bays, doors etc.
similiar form factor as the define 7 compact.

·
Lord Sleepsalot
370 Posts
I got a Define R5 and run two NF-A14 PWM in the fornt and on in the back, with the top covers on. I run them usually at 500-600rpm Idle and during load (CPU 60°C up) 1000rpm. I got an RTX3080 FTW3 and a 5900X with the NH-D15. It's quiet and stays cool. What's the secret? Air goes in in the front and out in the back. Nothing special, just an unobstructed airflow path front to back. I always explain airflow as a line from the intake to the exhaust fan. Air never curves in every corner of your case. I even have my old BR drive installed to fill a potential hot pocket. What could be an improvement better than a dozen case fans would be one fan mounted on the side panel (if it's possible on the Define 7) that blows air on to the mobo components directly.

Btw, i re-added the top half of my HDD cage and had no change in thermals. I have no HDD in there yet, but a good sign that i could get away with a block of HDD.

There is an old guide on this site that i used to "study". Sadly, that was a guide from some 7 years ago and i sure haven't saved the thread anywhere. I have used this "airflow design" trough 3 builds and it hasn't failed me yet. My first version had the 3000rpm industrials and yes, runing at 3000rpm did squeze out a few °c, but really not worth the jet noise.

Here is a picture of Build #2. Only difference to #3 is the platform and GPU, so essentially more heat, same design.

Edit: Found it! * * Ways to Better Cooling; Airflow, Cooler & Fan...

Electrical wiring Computer hardware Gas Font Audio equipment

• Rep+
Reactions: Raphie
1 - 5 of 5 Posts