Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL.

Now I was wondering what the options for radiators are? My original thought was two 420s. But 140mm rads at the top do limit how thick a rad can be. So then I was looking at a 480 and a 420. But I don't think that combo will fit either. So the next step would be a 360 at the top and a 420in the front, or a 480 in the top and a 280 in the front.

I'm looking at the HWL SR2 since I want to use my fans at low speed.

The rest of the hardware is still under development. But want to know what rads fit and what the best combo would be. Any advice is welcome.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I recently bought a Fractal Design Meshify 2 XL.

Now I was wondering what the options for radiators are? My original thought was two 420s.
I had the same thought. Just finished and I got two 420s. Specifically EK CE 420s (45mm thick). The height for the top is fine, plenty of clearance. I did have to
1. Mount the top with the rad fittings at the front to clear the back fan align the rad vent with top grill. The front rad I could have probably mounted either way, but it did it with the fittings at the top to make it close to the other rad fittings to link them and have plenty of space down low for pump and flow meter.

2. the top rad width was like 2mm too wide to get into the case because of a bezel put on the bit the top rad mounting plate fits into on the case. But I just bent the bezel flat with pliers as it’s behind the rad, so no one will see it

·
Registered
292 Posts
I had the same thought. Just finished and I got two 420s. Specifically EK CE 420s (45mm thick). The height for the top is fine, plenty of clearance. I did have to
1. Mount the top with the rad fittings at the front to clear the back fan align the rad vent with top grill. The front rad I could have probably mounted either way, but it did it with the fittings at the top to make it close to the other rad fittings to link them and have plenty of space down low for pump and flow meter.

2. the top rad width was like 2mm too wide to get into the case because of a bezel put on the bit the top rad mounting plate fits into on the case. But I just bent the bezel flat with pliers as it’s behind the rad, so no one will see it
Hey do you have any pictures of your setup? I'm thinking of getting the same case and want to see some layouts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I do on my phone. Let me upload some. This is my first water cooling loop, so please don't laugh. Bending that 12mm OD PETG was trickier than I thought, particularly the connection between rads with the air (T/X port). I probably should have left that T for the air port between the rads out, but my thinking was that by having a drain at the bottom and air port between the rads, that it would allow a syphon effect to help drain both rads completely and quickly. It works but not as well as I thought, either way it's a X port not a T so I crammed a water temperature sensor into it as well.

Here ye go, two photos. The first one is zoomed in a little close and a bit dark. The second photo probably gives a better idea. Nine fans in total BL071 be quiet's (two in the bottom you can;t see in the photos)

Flow is pump -> Gpu -> CPU -> top rad -> front rad -> flow sensor -> back to pump

Want to redo the tube bend between the rads and look for a electronically monitored flow sensor. Since everything else is EK, considering EK-Loop Connect - Flow Meter but the software for Loop connect doesn't get good reviews. So not sure. Having said that the Gigabyte SIV software or the mobo seems unreliable at controlling PWM on fans, so maybe it's worth a crack

MB is Aorus/Gigbytes x570 Master
Managed to squeeze Soundblaster AE7 and 10gbit dual port NIC in the two bottom PCIe slots.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I use a Define 7 XL and love it. Using a Nexxus 420 on top and a 280 on the front. Lots of room on top. Would not go thicker on the front as it would interfere with the removable pump mount plate. I found this case extremely easy to build in.

·
Premium Member
776 Posts
I also have Define 7 XL. I use a Corsair XR7-480 on top and a Magicool 360 thin in the front.

I agree with Darb that ti gives me room to mount my EK D5-140 pump/res combo easily.

I'm cooling a 5900x cpu with a Optimus wb and a RX6800 gpu with an EK block and backplate.

·
Registered
311 Posts
I use a Define 7 XL with a 360x45mm u-flow and 420x45mm x-flow radiators. I opted for this solution so it would be a piece of cake to drain the water.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I do on my phone. Let me upload some. This is my first water cooling loop, so please don't laugh. Bending that 12mm OD PETG was trickier than I thought, particularly the connection between rads with the air (T/X port). I probably should have left that T for the air port between the rads out, but my thinking was that by having a drain at the bottom and air port between the rads, that it would allow a syphon effect to help drain both rads completely and quickly. It works but not as well as I thought, either way it's a X port not a T so I crammed a water temperature sensor into it as well.

Here ye go, two photos. The first one is zoomed in a little close and a bit dark. The second photo probably gives a better idea. Nine fans in total BL071 be quiet's (two in the bottom you can;t see in the photos)

Flow is pump -> Gpu -> CPU -> top rad -> front rad -> flow sensor -> back to pump

Want to redo the tube bend between the rads and look for a electronically monitored flow sensor. Since everything else is EK, considering EK-Loop Connect - Flow Meter but the software for Loop connect doesn't get good reviews. So not sure. Having said that the Gigabyte SIV software or the mobo seems unreliable at controlling PWM on fans, so maybe it's worth a crack

MB is Aorus/Gigbytes x570 Master
Managed to squeeze Soundblaster AE7 and 10gbit dual port NIC in the two bottom PCIe slots.
Hey, a start is a start. But definitely you have a lot of room for improvement. Do you have the bending jigs and insert for hard tubing. Just google watercooling builds in Fractal Design cases and you should be able to come up with a few ideas.

I got the Meshify 2 XL and will be putting two 280mm rads and a 140mm rad I have. One of the 280s is 45mm which I'll probably put in the front and the second one either in the bottom(so I can get a fourth rad for the top) and the 140 at the back.
I'm waiting on parts right now but when I get it all done I will come back and post.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same case.. Fractal claims you can put 2 480mm rads but I can't find any examples of anyone doing that. I have an Ek 360 coolstream a primochill 420 and a 120. I'm going to return the ek. I do not like it, it seems cheap and leaked when I tried to clean and and test it. I'm RMAing it along with the Ek soft tubing I got from them because the tubes smell trong like Marijuana but they claim it's the manufacturing process.

Anyway, I'd like to get another 420 or a 480 for the top and 420 for the front.Ill yourself a push pull configuration on front with lian li fans and the same for the top of the case.

The 120 rad will go on the back vent along with potentially a Quantum Kinetic 120 pump res combo from ek. Along with the Fractual reflection pump res combo.

90 degree fittings where needed with extensions. Ek ZMT tubing and quick releases where best.

·
Registered
200 Posts
2x360 push/pull is better than 2x420 push for noise, and you can't get 2x420 push/pull in there.

·
Back to Building
4,865 Posts
Just picked up the Meshify 2 XL myself and I am having a heck of a time getting either of my EK 480mm rads to fit in the front. I have both the 60mm and 28mm thick versions

1 - 12 of 12 Posts