Overclock.net banner

Fractal Design Node 202 Owners Thread

385033 Views 827 Replies 150 Participants Last post by  EuphoriaZX
It has been a very long time since I was looking for a compact and silent, yet powerful gaming rig. I have looked at plenty of ITX cases and couldn't find any that is small enough and could handle a full sized GPU.
Recently Fractal Design has released the Node 202 slim-desktop case and as soon as it hit the shelves in Russia I bought it (apparently only 10 were sold since the release). My BitFenix Prodigy was build as a NAS right away so I could build Node 202 the way I want, but unfortunately my GPU has died and I have to wait for a refund to get another one.

Current configuration:
Case: Fractal Design Node 202
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770
CPU cooler: Intel Stock Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte H67N-USB3-B3
RAM: Kingston Low Profile 1333MHz 8GBx2
GPU (Temporary) : PowerColor HD4890
PSU: Zalman ZM-450FX
SSD: SanDisk Ultra 120GB
HDD: External Western Digital My Passport Ultra 1TB
Exhaust Fan: Noctua NF-S12b Redux-700

http://s61.photobucket.com/user/ZonDerr/media/20151211_2257171.jpg.html

As soon as I have booted the system and checked the temperatures of the GPU, I knew I had to do something otherwise it would overheat (over 70C idle and 105C under load in games), it was time I put the super-silent Noctua fan for exhaust. Temperatures are now at 60C idle and little bit under 90 when gaming (fan at 60-65% on GPU which makes it quite loud).

My next steps would be to install an intake fan in gpu slot (silent one too), replace the CPU fan, put some dust filters on the top of the case and above the cpu, replace the GPU. Quite possibly if the PSU fan would prove to be loud under load, I will replace it too.

Parts I will be getting:
Intake fan: Noctua NF-S12b redux PWM with Noctua NA-SYC1 accessory to connect it to CPU fan connector.
CPU fan: Noctua NH-L9i (probably to replace the fan with Noctua NF-B9 PWM, more airflow and more silent).
GPU: XFX Double Dissipation R9 380 2048MB or Zotac ZT-90101-10P GTX970 (depending the money I will be willing to spend).
Dust filters.

My goal is to make it the PC as silent as possible while maintaining acceptable temperatures for computer parts. I will later post more images of the build process and keep updated on how the temperatures have changed.

http://s61.photobucket.com/user/ZonDerr/media/20151210_2320021.jpg.html
  • Rep+
Reactions: rationalthinking
781 - 800 of 828 Posts

· Tech Enthusiast
12,390 Posts

· Gamer
4,025 Posts
Those chromax fans look great, i was looking at the slim version. By the looks of your titan it looks like you don’️t have regular gpu fans except the noctua?
Correct. The noctuas are pretty much touching the accellero. Has seemed to be working well, so far.

Found a pic:

https://i.imgur.com/aNxu0mJ.jpg

Then the CPU heatsink super tight by the ram

https://i.imgur.com/Sm0jHzE.jpg
What does the temperatures for the titan look like under load?

My 2080ti with the side cut open sits at around 70 after quite sometime.

· Tech Enthusiast
12,390 Posts
What does the temperatures for the titan look like under load?

My 2080ti with the side cut open sits at around 70 after quite sometime.
Things definitely get toastier than I'd like

CPU: 42c idle / 82c load

GPU: 36c idle / 75c load

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys, I need help with my node 202. I had my rig built by a computer shop a few years ago. I wanted remove the GPU but it has a support piece that is blocking the GPU from moving away, and to remove that support piece, it seems like I need to open the back side of the case, and to do that I need to unhook the hooks of the back case, but some of the hooks are hidden under the GPU. Can anyone help how to remove this support piece and GPU? Thanks! :)

Attachments

· Gamer
4,025 Posts
Hi guys, I need help with my node 202. I had my rig built by a computer shop a few years ago. I wanted remove the GPU but it has a support piece that is blocking the GPU from moving away, and to remove that support piece, it seems like I need to open the back side of the case, and to do that I need to unhook the hooks of the back case, but some of the hooks are hidden under the GPU. Can anyone help how to remove this support piece and GPU? Thanks! /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
Just unscrew the 3 screws on the cross brace and rear panel, remove the screw on the IO panel and lift the gpu and bracket out after you release the pci riser and power cables.

· Registered
2 Posts
Just unscrew the 3 screws on the cross brace and rear panel, remove the screw on the IO panel and lift the gpu and bracket out after you release the pci riser and power cables.
Thanks! I'll give it a try next time. I saw a pic on your node 202 rig and it seems that you don't use the support piece? will it be okay for a full sized GPU to not have the support piece? will it sag or anything? I put the case vertically with the GPU on the bottom section.

· Banned
1,961 Posts
Thanks! I'll give it a try next time. I saw a pic on your node 202 rig and it seems that you don't use the support piece? will it be okay for a full sized GPU to not have the support piece? will it sag or anything? I put the case vertically with the GPU on the bottom section.
It's not as risky as in a regular case because worst case scenario the card will just break the two little PCI-E extension pieces, not the full PCI-E slot. But that happening is still very unlikely.

· Gamer
4,025 Posts
I had two 120mm fans under the gpu. If you use a full size card i will tell you this... I switched to a 2080ti and without support, the gpu literally warped the rear panel so use the support or use extra fans because the chassis of the 202 will not take the weight.

· Registered
106 Posts
so I did complete my node202 build - i9600kf w/ BS2, LPX Vengance, Palit RTX2060, SX500-L. The difference in noise and heat in this case vs my old SG13 build (almost same spec, just generation older) went way above I expected. Scythe is extremly loud at its full 2100 RPM speed when Prime95 runs (85 C under load after 30 minutes). Same goes for Palit 2060 - when I play Civ6 and I want to do it without headphones, its like a jet (and thats normally a quiet card). Moreover, 2060 is just a temporary option. The card I have borrowed. I want to put Gigabyte 2070S Gaming OC.. cant think about how hot and loud it will run.
I removed the air filter on the CPU (later on I will add external magnetic one) and did some scrubbing on the border of the vent as I thought my 13mm thick silverstone 140mm will work there just fine.... unfortunately it does not fit :/. I ordered freaky expansive Noctua 15mm fan as there is space where the filter was. Should I also but two more for the GPU chamber? Will that help significantyly? Can't stand how loaud it is right now. Super silent is a must for me. and what about the future - the 2070S?

edit: also, whatever I am going to apply (intake fans, GPU change) when I touch the side of the case where the back of the GPU is, its so hot that I wonder if the case did not became a heatsink ;) one can't do nothing about it. How this work for you guys?

Attachments

· Registered
106 Posts
I did some basic measurements. Measurement device has a great system error I can't test - its my P20Pro with sound meter from play store. Noise level is 34 dB. Prime95 is causing ScytheFan (I guess thats Stlipstream?) to reach 49dB and 100C on my CPU (when HWInfo shows 150Watt - dont know why) from time to time, but mostly 80 C @ 95W. Noctua A12x15 does the same with respect to temperature levels, but at much lower 46dB.
The latter one is way better at middle loads. Also the sound "feeling" is way better with Noctua at all load levels.
GPU stays at 86 C when stressed by Furmark reaching over 7600 points @FHD preset, so no throttling, but at 3500RPM and 52dB.. so jet speed ;). No intake fans.
One Noctua intake fan added and temperature of the GPU under load went down to 75 C and RPMs to 2500, all @ 46dB.
All measurements were taken from the distance of ~1m.
Maybe someone will find this useful as a reference.
I could get it below 40dB under load keeping GPU @ 75 C and CPU @ 80 C I would be more than happy.

· Registered
3 Posts
So I decided it was a good idea to stuff a Gigabyte 2080ti Aorus extreme into the 202... well this card overwhelms this case with heat within minutes. It’s a 2.5 slot card and fits with minor mod of the case. But i ended up cutting the top cover to vent.
Hi. I see you mode the powe cable plug to be outside. Could you plz explainme how you do that?

· Tech Enthusiast
12,390 Posts
I have my GPU fans in exhaust.

I think it's mostly just because of my overclock, haha. Overall I'm okay with the temps given the audio and performance levels.

· Gamer
4,025 Posts
what is the fan you are using? is it the new scythe, the one that is 17mm thick?
Yes I got the new Scythe fan.... but it made only a degree or two difference. I've actually gone to a Fractal define 7. BUT I wanted to try putting one of my Darkside GTs at 2500rpms on the SFF cooler and it made next to no difference. So that says to me that the cooler/thermal paste is at it's best as possible. Good luck on your SFF adventure.

· Tech Enthusiast
12,390 Posts
did you do a research on the fans? I was wondering, if you set them as exhaust should you choose by airflow or static pressure?
Why not both?! haha. Went with an all-around good fan with the dual Noctua A12x25

· Registered
1 Posts
Quiet and cool with no GPU?

I'm looking to build a small desktop using the Node 202 to be used for programming, Matlab, and various office productivity programs, but I want the PC to be extremely quiet. I've seen a lot of conversation about trying to cool the case with various GPUs, but was curious how hot the case gets without any GPU at all. There are some larger Fractal cases with sound proofing that run cool, but I'd like to use the Node 202 if possible.

I was thinking of using an I5-9600K without overclocking, using the integrated graphics instead of a GPU, probably a Noctua CPU heatsink, Silent Wings fans, and an SSD. Based on that, do you think the Node 202 will run cool enough and stay quiet?

Also, did anyone try the Integra SFX 450 power supply? If so, how was the noise? I've read a few posts indicating it is pretty loud. If so, are there any recommendations for a quiet SFF power supply?

· Tech Enthusiast
12,390 Posts
The GPU really doesn't effect the CPU temps at all since they're in different compartments. The stock PSU is kind of meh.

The Corsair SF450/600/750 are all pretty quiet these days.

781 - 800 of 828 Posts