Overclock.net banner

Fractal Design Node 202 Owners Thread

385069 Views 827 Replies 150 Participants Last post by  EuphoriaZX
It has been a very long time since I was looking for a compact and silent, yet powerful gaming rig. I have looked at plenty of ITX cases and couldn't find any that is small enough and could handle a full sized GPU.
Recently Fractal Design has released the Node 202 slim-desktop case and as soon as it hit the shelves in Russia I bought it (apparently only 10 were sold since the release). My BitFenix Prodigy was build as a NAS right away so I could build Node 202 the way I want, but unfortunately my GPU has died and I have to wait for a refund to get another one.

Current configuration:
Case: Fractal Design Node 202
CPU: Intel Core i7 3770
CPU cooler: Intel Stock Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte H67N-USB3-B3
RAM: Kingston Low Profile 1333MHz 8GBx2
GPU (Temporary) : PowerColor HD4890
PSU: Zalman ZM-450FX
SSD: SanDisk Ultra 120GB
HDD: External Western Digital My Passport Ultra 1TB
Exhaust Fan: Noctua NF-S12b Redux-700

http://s61.photobucket.com/user/ZonDerr/media/20151211_2257171.jpg.html

As soon as I have booted the system and checked the temperatures of the GPU, I knew I had to do something otherwise it would overheat (over 70C idle and 105C under load in games), it was time I put the super-silent Noctua fan for exhaust. Temperatures are now at 60C idle and little bit under 90 when gaming (fan at 60-65% on GPU which makes it quite loud).

My next steps would be to install an intake fan in gpu slot (silent one too), replace the CPU fan, put some dust filters on the top of the case and above the cpu, replace the GPU. Quite possibly if the PSU fan would prove to be loud under load, I will replace it too.

Parts I will be getting:
Intake fan: Noctua NF-S12b redux PWM with Noctua NA-SYC1 accessory to connect it to CPU fan connector.
CPU fan: Noctua NH-L9i (probably to replace the fan with Noctua NF-B9 PWM, more airflow and more silent).
GPU: XFX Double Dissipation R9 380 2048MB or Zotac ZT-90101-10P GTX970 (depending the money I will be willing to spend).
Dust filters.

My goal is to make it the PC as silent as possible while maintaining acceptable temperatures for computer parts. I will later post more images of the build process and keep updated on how the temperatures have changed.

http://s61.photobucket.com/user/ZonDerr/media/20151210_2320021.jpg.html
  • Rep+
Reactions: rationalthinking
801 - 820 of 828 Posts

· Tech Enthusiast
12,390 Posts
IS-60 is your next best bet

· Tech Enthusiast
12,390 Posts
6 months?! I assume you're not in the US?

· Efficiencycionado
6,099 Posts
Anyone using a Thermalright AXP-100 in this case? I got a full copper version and the temps are idling on the high side and the fan gets loud every 5 secs which doesn't make any sense this is supposed to be the best low-profile cooler out there (and I really had a hard time in acquiring it and paid $200 including shipping). xD

It performs really well outside the case so I guess it's probably because it's already stretching the height limit since the cooler is 58mm, which is 2mm taller. I've seen some forums where they said they modded the cooler to fit or some had changed the to a shorter one. So I bought an IDC IS-30 and swap the fans. That way it would be 56mm and hopefully solves the problem.

Anyone that had gone through this? Would like your thoughts on this. Thanks

· Registered
1 Posts
Speedholes(tm)

Hello Beautiful People,

This thread is great. I would like to add something. c:

The 5700 XT Red Dragon was overheating out of the box. I added two Arctic P12 and changed to [email protected] / [email protected] The vertical stand was ditched for some 3D-printed stands that add plenty of room under the case. This was not enough. I cut some speedholes in the GPU chamber.

https://ibb.co/NVmbKxq
https://ibb.co/vvnyJcD
https://ibb.co/s9YxkNb
https://ibb.co/h9s4jw9

I cleaned the edges and think about adding a nice bevel. Yet, no one is ever going to see those holes. The Node 202 is needy. If want to see the other ghetto mods I posted on Reddit a while ago. Who needs screws to mount a fan to CPU sink anyway? https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/h8sc9i/red_dragon_5700_xt_in_node_202/

· Efficiencycionado
6,099 Posts
So I got the IDC IS-30 and got to test around with this case. Using ThermalGrizzly Kryonaut and stock fan curves with the Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi/

Here are the results with my R5 3600:

AXP-100 Full Copper (Stock fan)
Idle: 44c, 39dB
Load: 73c, 45dB

AXP-100 Full Copper (IS-30 fan)
Idle: 44c, 31dB
Load: 75c, 46dB

IS-30 (Stock fan)
Idle: 46c, 35dB
Load: 80c, 47dB

IS-30 (AXP-100 fan)
Idle: 46c, 35dB
Load: 79c, 47dB

Ryzen Stealth
Idle: 55c, 26dB
Load: 83c, 36dB

I'm keeping the stealth since the other two are just way too noisy even on idle. But what I've noticed is that this case loves thick high SP fans, otherwise the slim fans will just be way too loud.

But maybe I'll toy around with the fan curves and if it's still too loud, I'll just buy the Noctua. xD

· News Junkie
8,236 Posts
Since the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 is discontinued. What’s the next best thing to cool a socket 1150 in a node 202
Custom loop

· Registered
5 Posts
I'm pleased to have almost finished my Node 202 build. I was lucky to get an RTX 3070 within days of release but like the GTX 980 I had inside before, the temps were insane! This thing heats up like a space heater. All the new RTX cards have that new port hole at the back that exhausts air through the card, so I decided to cut a hole in the top of the case to match. This has dramatically improved temperatures - around 10-15oC lower and able to hold its boost clocks now. Got the issue with the Noctua CPU fan recycling hot air so I've ordered a Shuriken 2 which is coming this week, I'm going to set that to reverse and blow hot air out the top as well so hopefully that works. On the GPU side I've got 2 fans blowing cold air in creating enough pressure to push the hot air from the GPU out the rear, side and top of the case. Now I wish I had more space for drives as I have a 1tb SSD, 2tb 2.5" HDD and a 1tb m.2 from Sabrent. It's an excellent little box, I've been loving playing Red Dead Redemption 2 at Ultra settings at 4K.

· Registered
106 Posts
how is the BS2 working for you? for me IS60v2 is far more efficient thus quiter. the GPU is always a problem in such a small cases. I always thought that the bigger radiator in an SFF case the better the cooling will be. I have proven myself wrong by testing several GPUs inside my node 202 in the last couple of months. I have started with 2070 Supers - had Gigabyte Gaming OC, Palit GamingPro, KFA2 and PNY Dual and then had Gigabyte 5700 XT Aorus with power cable connector removed ( I did direct connection with cable routerd through the hole). The latter one was a beast ;). Now I did compare ZOTAC 3070 Twin Edge OC and ASUS 3070 TUF Gaming OC. ASUS is one of the best 3070 and 3080 cards there are. And guess what? The bigger cards were never as quiet and as cool as advertised and reviewed while the thinner cards w/ additional fans were performing almost as expected (of course usually louder, but not much hotter). ZOTAC is able to sustain constant load and clock of 1950MHz while ASUS was fluctuating and giving wery different results each and every time.

The idea of an additional vent is great :)

· Registered
5 Posts
how is the BS2 working for you? for me IS60v2 is far more efficient thus quiter. the GPU is always a problem in such a small cases. I always thought that the bigger radiator in an SFF case the better the cooling will be. I have proven myself wrong by testing several GPUs inside my node 202 in the last couple of months. I have started with 2070 Supers - had Gigabyte Gaming OC, Palit GamingPro, KFA2 and PNY Dual and then had Gigabyte 5700 XT Aorus with power cable connector removed ( I did direct connection with cable routerd through the hole). The latter one was a beast ;). Now I did compare ZOTAC 3070 Twin Edge OC and ASUS 3070 TUF Gaming OC. ASUS is one of the best 3070 and 3080 cards there are. And guess what? The bigger cards were never as quiet and as cool as advertised and reviewed while the thinner cards w/ additional fans were performing almost as expected (of course usually louder, but not much hotter). ZOTAC is able to sustain constant load and clock of 1950MHz while ASUS was fluctuating and giving wery different results each and every time.

The idea of an additional vent is great :)
The BS2 is a big improvement in the Noctua I had as the smaller heatsink caused the recycling of hot air and it had no where to dump it especially on the left side where there's no exhaust between the CPU and GPU sides... Having the CPU fan on a pull configuration and 2 fans on the side blowing air in has resolved this for me, it's much quieter and cooler now. The exhaust hole for the GPU worked wonders too I highly recommend doing the same. I can play my games maxed at 4k and it's barely audible now. It's quite surprising how hot the air is pushed out the top of the 202

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

· Registered
90 Posts
I was upgrading our Win 10 server leading up to the holidays (upgraded the MB & CPU plus went SSD to increase throughput); so I took the spare parts leftover and built my second 202 which will be a dedicated VR PC for the Oculus Quest 2 coming in a few days.

Existing Intel DQ67EP/i5 2400/8GB Kingston DDR3, ADATA SSD, WD Scorpio HDD for data/games (leftover from another laptop SSD transplant) and added a GTX 1660 Ti plus an IS-47K cooler. Settled for a smaller offering of ID Cooling's cost-effective line of coolers as the Intel MB doesn't allow for much tweakage to require a larger cooling solution. Great case (the first is in the son's cave as a Steam box), fits easily inside the media cabinet in the living room.

Technology Electronic component Computer hardware Computer accessory Circuit component
Circuit component Technology Cable Electronic device Electrical wiring
Technology Electronics Computer accessory Wire Computer hardware

· Registered
12 Posts
Hello guys and girls, after some node 202 advice!

So im looking to build a new rig thats more portable (Currently use a 9kg 37L case) and looking at the Node 202 but my issue thats holding me back is i like to run low temps, currently i never see above 50c on my build during stress testing. I know im going to have to sacrifice some cooling to reduce size but want to do the best i can in the Node.

To that end what would be the best cooling set up, ive read the forum and done a load of reseach and narrowed it down to:
Sythe Big Shuriken 3
ID-Cooling IS-60 (Cant find it in stock anywhere)
Noctua NH-L12S (Cheapest and fits)
Thermalright AXP-100

I know some of those dont offically fit but im an engineer and dont mind a bit of modding or even cuttting out a 120mm square and leave the fan exposed (I regularly clean the pc and will be in a fairly dust free enviroment)
Will i have any other issues with those coolers?

The build is: Ryzen 5 5600, RTX 3060ti, 16gb Low profile memory.

Any constructive input is most appricated

· Registered
5 Posts
Hello guys and girls, after some node 202 advice!

So im looking to build a new rig thats more portable (Currently use a 9kg 37L case) and looking at the Node 202 but my issue thats holding me back is i like to run low temps, currently i never see above 50c on my build during stress testing. I know im going to have to sacrifice some cooling to reduce size but want to do the best i can in the Node.

To that end what would be the best cooling set up, ive read the forum and done a load of reseach and narrowed it down to:
Sythe Big Shuriken 3
ID-Cooling IS-60 (Cant find it in stock anywhere)
Noctua NH-L12S (Cheapest and fits)
Thermalright AXP-100

I know some of those dont offically fit but im an engineer and dont mind a bit of modding or even cuttting out a 120mm square and leave the fan exposed (I regularly clean the pc and will be in a fairly dust free enviroment)
Will i have any other issues with those coolers?

The build is: Ryzen 5 5600, RTX 3060ti, 16gb Low profile memory.

Any constructive input is most appricated
You'll definitely not get the temperatures you was getting in your old case. My system was a 3700x and RTX 3070 and my CPU reaches around 89-90oC on load, GPU sits around 80-83oC. I had to cut a hole out the top panel of the case so that the GPU could exhaust out the top, this dramatically helped with temps. Without this I would see GPU temps over 100oC.

· Registered
12 Posts
You'll definitely not get the temperatures you was getting in your old case. My system was a 3700x and RTX 3070 and my CPU reaches around 89-90oC on load, GPU sits around 80-83oC. I had to cut a hole out the top panel of the case so that the GPU could exhaust out the top, this dramatically helped with temps. Without this I would see GPU temps over 100oC.
thanks for the info, i know i wont reach my current temps but id like sub 75, I've had an idea of modding a 240/280 AIO to the case on the rear of the GPU so the 2 fans would force cool air in, over the gpu and out through the aio which will have another 2 fans. any reason why this wouldnt work? Obviously wont look great but i dont really care about looks and still remains fairly small and compact

· Registered
90 Posts
So you want the airflow to go case GPU grille, GPU intake fans, GPU, then (???) AIO fans, and finally AIO? Will the latter two be outside the case? How will air go from the GPU intake fans and thru the GPU (the reason why I put the (???) in the previous sentence)? I'm thinking you're going to open up the top of the case where the GPU is so air and flow out to the AIO, but it's gotta get around the GPU PCB first.

(Apologize if I'm misinterpreting what you're suggesting above)

· Registered
12 Posts
So you want the airflow to go case GPU grille, GPU intake fans, GPU, then (???) AIO fans, and finally AIO? Will the latter two be outside the case? How will air go from the GPU intake fans and thru the GPU (the reason why I put the (???) in the previous sentence)? I'm thinking you're going to open up the top of the case where the GPU is so air and flow out to the AIO, but it's gotta get around the GPU PCB first.

(Apologize if I'm misinterpreting what you're suggesting above)
Yeah thats basically my idea, the RTX 3070 is 54mm thick, 3 fans.... they will suck air in through the grill, push over the GPU. they have a rear plate hole to allow air through but most will be pushed out the sides, then the aio fans will suck that air (all be it quite warm) and push it through the aio rad. JaysTwoCents did it on a mod he did - Node 202 Aio Mod

801 - 820 of 828 Posts