Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 6800 ultra extreme @ (450/1.2) and i get great performance, except for in counter strike. i get a seemingly static 60 fps on main screen, 30 when loading game, and 60 when playing. never more, never less. i tried setting max_fps to 1000 in the console but i still get these framerates. is it the driver? i'm using 66.93 forceware. the reason i think its the driver is b/c i have a friend w/ a 6800 gt and he has this same prob., but i have another friend with a 9800 pro and he gets around 300, and his fps_max command works properly.
things i have tried:
- reinstall drivers
- reinstall steam, halflife and cs
- upgrade to beta driver

can someone help me?, thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
22,004 Posts
I have heard about a problem with 6800's and bad GPU's. Maybe that could be it. I would contact NVidia TechSupport.

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonrezz

thanks for the fast reply, i will try to contact nvidia, but in the meantime, if anyone else has any ideas, please post them, thanks

Whats the refresh rate set to on your monitor?

• Rep+
Reactions: Jonrezz

·
Premium Member
5,079 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy

In console type Max_FPS 100
and turn vSycn off in video driver propterties...

Whats the point in obsession with high refresh rates? If you have a super duper card that can handlr the game, you can only get what the monitor can display, eg. if your freind says hes getting 300fps, he is in theory, but in reality he probably got 75. WHY??? because thats the max refresh rate for his monitor

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
People like to showoff, that's like asking why in the hell would someone actually ever need an FX-55 and two 6800Ultras. The human eye can only see individual frames up to I belives it is 64.3 frames per second, and the average television broadcast is 72 frames per second. I only want uber processing power so I can run 1600x1200 with 12xAF and 8xAA

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonrezz
ok, i dont know what that was but i reboted and now its back in the task bar, i'll try to figure out vsync, thank u all for your help!
For Vsync, right click anywhere in your desktop, then

Properties
Settings tab
Advanced
then click the
geforce 6800 Ultra Tab

and go to performance or something settings on the left.. It's on the same place that you change AA and AF.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, i found vsync, and disabled it, now i get 100 fps, same problem, except 100fps instead of 60. that helped b/ the graphics are mre smooth now, but is there a way to make the framerate max out? thanks for the help, i made sure to rep everyone that helped!!!

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
I think the max fps the game will read out is 199...
Someone told me to put "Developer 0" in the console to show max FPS, but all I remmeber it doing was changing the way text messages read out. You can give it a try though.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy
I think the max fps the game will read out is 199...
Someone told me to put "Developer 0" in the console to show max FPS, but all I remmeber it doing was changing the way text messages read out. You can give it a try though.
Could it have something to do with him setting max_fps to 100?

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Well of course, but what I was saying was I would set it to max_fps to like 9999999999999999999999 and it would still only report out at 199fps. Granted I don't have hte fastest card in the world, but even staring directly into a wall would yeild well over 200 fps.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
dont worry, i tried setting it to fps_max 1000000, it still reports 100, and my friends computer reprts like 320fps when stareing at a wall, but whatever, 100 is good enough, and turning off my vsync rasied my 3dmark05 score from 5400 to 5654 ! thanks again for your help!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts